HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2013, 11:03 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
Nice one Slim ! It seems to fly high alpha really well !

Vancouver Tim just built another full-size SE and also made it puller instead of pusher - saw him maiden it earlier this evening .

Al
It does high alpha better than the first micro SE I built. It also is very easy to fly indoors. The first one must have been too nose heavy. All this wind lately has been making me think about building a full size SE again.
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2013, 12:06 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim1357 View Post
It does high alpha better than the first micro SE I built. It also is very easy to fly indoors. The first one must have been too nose heavy. All this wind lately has been making me think about building a full size SE again.
Yeah , that arrowhead shape penetrates wind pretty well . Fun plane just to screw around with !
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old May 06, 2013, 03:02 PM
Joined Feb 2013
10 Posts
Figure I'd chime in since its been a while for the mis-adventures of baldadonis!

So I built another Super EZ - naked this time...tired of mis-building my crazy inventions and not getting anything to fly more than 5 seconds.

I used the motor I rewound and noticed when I tested the throttle whilst holding the plane...the ESC got a bit hot..even after a minute of 50% throttle while holding it.

Being new to the hobby, I figured thats normal ( this is the dynam 18am ESC that comes with the 1300 kv from hobby partz ) - but remember I rewound the motor with larger gauge..so not sure what the kv.

I hand launched the naked Super EZ and started a nice upward climb 45 degrees for about 15 feet - I would like to end this story that I finally got a plane to fly for more than 15 seconds and I'm getting the hang of it..but I cant end the story that way.

The plane got about 20 feet from me and all of a sudden there is a black plume of smoke and motor cuts out and the plane comes plummeting earth black smoke and as I run towards it..I notice the sonofagun is on fire...I'm pretty terrified, becuase I have seen vids of LIPO batteries go up..but I notice the ESC is on fire..nowhere near the battery..so I run over and start kicking the crap out of the plane..stomping on it to put out the fire and once it dies down a but , I yank the battery off.
End result...1800mah battery unscathed, including wires and connectors... servos and radio rx(or tx..I forget which is which ) unscathed. Motor, one of the phases, the wires were black, so I assume it was shorted out and the stator on the motor was a little black. ESC disintegrated.
Sooo...I'm not sure if my rewind made the motor too powerful for the ESC..or I had a short in one of the phases ( which is likely to be what happened ).

My flying career thus far sux...my motor rewinding skills..beyond sux.

I have some motors and ESCs on order from hobby partz - the go forward plan is learn to fly on a super EZ....and stop tinkering around.

Bald
baldadonis2002 is offline Find More Posts by baldadonis2002
Old May 06, 2013, 06:32 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,532 Posts
Nice to hear from you again Bald ! Looking forward to hearing about the next SE flight with fresh motor/ESC !

Al
Old May 06, 2013, 08:31 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
534 Posts
That's a bummer baldadonis2002 but keep in mind we'e all been there and will be there again in the future. Last week Al witnessed me auger in a speed demon plane I was re-maidening for the umpteenth time. It's a t-28 fun fighter but I call her the swamp queen cause that's the first place I wrecked her.
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
Old May 07, 2013, 02:20 AM
United Kingdom, Essex
Joined Nov 2012
226 Posts
I flew my half size SE yesterday! It flew quite well with the bigger prop, it flew a lot like the normal SE I made, so it wouldn't loop or do barrel rolls at all, even though I had almost no dihedral in the wing. If I tried to roll it would go into a dive, and the battery ran out pretty quick too! Anyone know what could be the issue? Thanks!
AmyW is offline Find More Posts by AmyW
Last edited by AmyW; May 07, 2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old May 07, 2013, 11:08 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyW View Post
I flew my half size SE yesterday! It flew quite well with the bigger prop, it flew a lot the normal SE I made, so it wouldn't loop or do barrel rolls at all, even though I had almost no dihedral in the wing. If I tried to rollout woul go into a dive, and the battery ran out pretty quick too! Anyone know what could be the issue? Thanks!
Can you show us some photos/video ?
Old May 27, 2013, 02:03 PM
United Kingdom, Essex
Joined Nov 2012
226 Posts
Hello ,
Sorry for not saying anything for a while, I've got exams next week and I decided to do lots of hardcore revision, so I haven't been flying for a while, but it's the half term holidays and I'm just going to relax . And I THINK I might know what the issue is with the rolls, am I supposed to apply down elevator half way through the roll? On the sim I just have to move the stick to the far right or left, but in real life I'm guessing some elevator input is necessary? Thanks!
AmyW is offline Find More Posts by AmyW