Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:29 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,822 Posts
As it turns out, I've just this morning learnt that PayPal isn't even safe! I've had a western union fraud of $1878 over the weekend! Banks been notified, cards have been cancelled. Ever since my last fraud (of the exact same amount co-incidentally) on my MasterCard over last Xmas, I've only used PayPal since then!

Think ill change my Paypal password now too!

Rrrsole's! Such an inconvenience but NAB were pretty crap as they didn't even notice it so if my wife didn't check our account we wouldn't have got it in time as its still pending. Had we not noticed it when we did it would have actually gone through and the scum bags would have got the money!
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:21 PM
Now what?
Bulli, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
4,098 Posts
I thought Western Union were Paypal's compettition?

Who stung you the $1878?
narcas is online now Find More Posts by narcas
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:25 PM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,822 Posts
Dont know mate, it just came up as western union with no other details.

Probably some scumbag from Nigeria or the Congo!
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:40 PM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,924 Posts
So to do that they would have to know your paypal password I guess?

What is interesting is last time, same amount, but from your CC card direct.........when was the last time you ran a decent PC scan?
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:40 PM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouch View Post
So to do that they would have to know your paypal password I guess?

What is interesting is last time, same amount, but from your CC card direct.........when was the last time you ran a decent PC scan?
I run them all the time for trojans, malware ect. F*&ks me how they've done it ay.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:45 PM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,822 Posts
Ive now changed all my paypal passwords and other stuff associated with my banking ect.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:59 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Ive now changed all my paypal passwords and other stuff associated with my banking ect.
What to?
CaseySP is online now Find More Posts by CaseySP
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alfa Corsair Retracts again
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:35 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,221 Posts
Quote:
As it turns out, I've just this morning learnt that PayPal isn't even safe! I've had a western union fraud of $1878 over the weekend! Banks been notified, cards have been cancelled. Ever since my last fraud (of the exact same amount co-incidentally) on my MasterCard over last Xmas, I've only used PayPal since then!

Think ill change my Paypal password now too!

Rrrsole's! Such an inconvenience but NAB were pretty crap as they didn't even notice it so if my wife didn't check our account we wouldn't have got it in time as its still pending. Had we not noticed it when we did it would have actually gone through and the scum bags would have got the money!
How do log in to PayPal, I have seen some prety convincing scams that provide links to almost identical sites. If you have logged into one of these sites by accident they have your password.
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:45 AM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,822 Posts
Nope, I'm quite computer savvy and know a dodgy link when I see one so it wouldn't be that.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:35 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,924 Posts
well it's something! They got your details from two different places twice. Given it's the same amount to the dollar, I would assume it's the same mob both times.

I'd be changing the paypal password from another known clean PC if you used your regular one to change it.....just to be sure.

Of course if you are simply buying more RC stuff and just posting here so your missus thinks it's not you spending all the hard earned, then your secret is safe with me
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:07 AM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouch View Post
well it's something! They got your details from two different places twice. Given it's the same amount to the dollar, I would assume it's the same mob both times.

I'd be changing the paypal password from another known clean PC if you used your regular one to change it.....just to be sure.

Of course if you are simply buying more RC stuff and just posting here so your missus thinks it's not you spending all the hard earned, then your secret is safe with me
Lol, she's the one that found the transaction! The stupid bank didn't think anything of it!
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:38 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,476 Posts
Quote:
haha
gazza2003au is offline Find More Posts by gazza2003au
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:44 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Nope, I'm quite computer savvy and know a dodgy link when I see one so it wouldn't be that.
I am very computer savvy and have worked in IT and IT security for over 10 years I got an email from PayPal related to a credit card payment (I had not used Paypal for some time)

It was sent from an address with a full stop in the wrong spot and very difficult to pickup as the writing and details used were the same as normal PayPal services. I was busy at the time and broke the number 1 rule, clicked the link contained within an email

The web page i was directed to was identical to PayPal. Luckily at this point I realized my mistake and passed the information to PayPal before entering the details.
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:34 PM
Inverted tail dragger
Australia, WA, Kalamunda
Joined Jan 2008
614 Posts
Quote:
Well you think your bank is pretty crap ,mine(ANZ) still paid it!!

The missus picked it up(she checks every day) and notifyed the bank the bank agreed that it was dodgy.
And by this stage the transaction was still Pending so we thought cool we're safe we'll just asked them not to pay it,Noo the bank! didn't care they said that it has to be paid and that we have to then dispute the transaction to get our money back.

In the long run we got our money back,but I thought these F@#kers were spose to be fighting internet frued not condoning it by paying them anyway
1st timer is offline Find More Posts by 1st timer
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:55 PM
use the 4s luke, use the 4s...
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
851 Posts
Well dad went into nab to do some accounting for the scouts as he is the leader any way they asked if he has had an account with them before. He said yes. Then they said he was dead. He had the exact same name as his father and hed passed away about ten years ago. So far no one has called to investigate about some one opening an account in a dead mans name. They used to always send payments and bills to eithor of their accounts at random when they both had accounts with them.
scrub monkey is offline Find More Posts by scrub monkey