Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:53 AM
voodoo magic maaan
United Kingdom, England, Merton
Joined Jan 2011
339 Posts
Question re "tail pegs"
do you glue them in or are you able to break the tail down for transport?
my willow has the old vtail which is a semi permanent fixture, would be nice if it came off easily
lukeydukey10 is offline Find More Posts by lukeydukey10
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:17 AM
Acacia II Lunar Lander
United States, CA, LADERA RANCH
Joined Feb 2011
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyr View Post
Looking Good Rod ,
I see what your saying about tweaking 1 of them , maybe whip the tail off , heat the solder and get the ball to move , then snip off the excess.
TBH do you think it will affect it when each servos travel is set on the TX ?

I would leave it myself

Bob
Thanks, Bob. I could probably wait and work it out in the Tx programming, but I'm going to have the tail back apart to get the linkages bonded to the pushrods, anyway. A minute with the soldering iron, and I should have it nice and clean.

Cheers,
Rod
RCRod is offline Find More Posts by RCRod
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:26 AM
Acacia II Lunar Lander
Joined Feb 2011
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeydukey10 View Post
Question re "tail pegs"
do you glue them in or are you able to break the tail down for transport?
my willow has the old vtail which is a semi permanent fixture, would be nice if it came off easily
I'll be glueing mine in, with the tail feathers held to the fuse with transparent tape. If I want to be able to break it down for transport or repair, I will remove the tape, pop the ball links loose, and slide the tail feathers off the pegs. It will leave the tail with a "spiked club" appearance, but it's much more compact and pack-able than the full tail.

I would imagine glueing the pegs in is the intended build, as it will greatly strengthen that tail area.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:28 AM
Sloping the Financial Cliff
USA, CA, Santee
Joined Oct 2007
2,451 Posts
I maidened mine at Grass Mt. Yesterday. Love it!
Found one more problem with it. The spluge they use is very brittle. I already had my second servo horn breake off. No big deal but I would recommend to bring epoxy to the slope as this happened to two of the Willows yesterday.
fcbflyer is offline Find More Posts by fcbflyer
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:23 AM
Acacia II Lunar Lander
Joined Feb 2011
640 Posts
I've been thinking that the epoxy seems a bit on the "crispy" side. Hope the wing and tails can take sudden shocks on tough landings...
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:01 AM
United Kingdom, England, Topsham
Joined Jun 2006
68 Posts
Thanks for the feedback on the horns, I've only ever had 1 break off but I'll ask for the fixing to be improved. As someone who's bounced Willows around more than 1 hill- they are tough!

ian
dolphin56 is offline Find More Posts by dolphin56
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:51 AM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,810 Posts
Fast time of the day at yesterdays contest, 38.xx by my friend Bob M. flying my Willow. WD
concreteman is online now Find More Posts by concreteman
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:22 AM
Sloping the Financial Cliff
USA, CA, Santee
Joined Oct 2007
2,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCRod View Post
I've been thinking that the epoxy seems a bit on the "crispy" side. Hope the wing and tails can take sudden shocks on tough landings...
Wings and tails were no issue at all, just bring 5min epoxy for the horns and you won't miss a round.
fcbflyer is offline Find More Posts by fcbflyer
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:04 AM
Launching!
Chula Vista, CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,380 Posts
RE: Low Time of the Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by concreteman View Post
Fast time of the day at yesterdays contest, 38.xx by my friend Bob M. flying my Willow. WD

Warren,

I think that it is significant to mention that the above mentioned fast time of the day was achieved UNBALLESTED against a field of 9 others that were loading up everything they had. Granted the Willows base weight is pretty stout, but that planes AUW racing weight was way under everything else in the field......very impressive!

DC
dc812 is offline Find More Posts by dc812
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:23 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,473 Posts
I am loving my Willow more and more - I've had it for about 7 months now. From the start it has had impeccable manners, and beautiful frontside aerobatic performance, better roll rate than any plane I've flown, of its size. As time goes on I am more impressed. I've moved the CG back and it snaps turns hard now. I have also flown it at our ridiculously small local coastal cliff which is generally considered "foamies only". The Willow is in its element, making great use of the small zone, unlike other big planes I've flown there which have stayed up, but not with any style. The Willow can strut its stuff in a tight spot. But I'm a DS nut, so the first time I flew the Willow I had it DSing in minutes and I have to say that I, and others I've given the sticks to, agree that it's the best tracking F3F moldie we've DS'ed, easy.

I did this video of a fun day out last weekend ... it's very long (sorry) but it's a fun watch and has several sessions of the Willow flying and DSing in there.

Four Aussie slopenuts having DS and frontside fun at Larrikin Ridge 8 Sep 2012 (23 min 8 sec)
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:30 AM
voodoo magic maaan
United Kingdom, England, Merton
Joined Jan 2011
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
I am loving my Willow more and more - I've had it for about 7 months now. From the start it has had impeccable manners, and beautiful frontside aerobatic performance, better roll rate than any plane I've flown, of its size. As time goes on I am more impressed. I've moved the CG back and it snaps turns hard now. I have also flown it at our ridiculously small local coastal cliff which is generally considered "foamies only". The Willow is in its element, making great use of the small zone, unlike other big planes I've flown there which have stayed up, but not with any style. The Willow can strut its stuff in a tight spot. But I'm a DS nut, so the first time I flew the Willow I had it DSing in minutes and I have to say that I, and others I've given the sticks to, agree that it's the best tracking F3F moldie we've DS'ed, easy.

I did this video of a fun day out last weekend ... it's very long (sorry) but it's a fun watch and has several sessions of the Willow flying and DSing in there.

http://vimeo.com/49125406
Nice slope! And you can drive right up there - so lucky!
lukeydukey10 is offline Find More Posts by lukeydukey10
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:57 AM
Good Times
Portland . Dorset . England
Joined Jun 2009
290 Posts
Great video again Andy ,
I totally agree with you about the willows roll rate , and aerobatic performance for an f3f model . Ive said that its a great sport plane , you can race it , Aero it and DS to a reasonable speed , You may want to contact Ian and get yourself a 3 degree Willow wing joiner ,to see if it tracks any different on the DS circuit , it makes inverted far more stable also it makes a totally different sound when its ripping along , personally for me it has improved the roll rate as well ,
i use the 5 degree for floating on low lift days , and the 3 degree when the wind picks up .

Well done on a nice Vid

Bob
Bobbyr is offline Find More Posts by Bobbyr
Last edited by Bobbyr; Sep 12, 2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:32 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,473 Posts
Bob, I'm not sure if mine is 3 or 5 deg (it's one of the version 2 planes with one piece V-tail) but I wouldn't change it ... I don't have any other light-air DS plane that is so stable in the circuit. And apart from the Vector there's no other plane that's as happy inverted. The other guys were really surprised that when it was only going 130ish upright, it was doing 100 inverted.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB

Four Aussie slopenuts having DS and frontside fun at Larrikin Ridge 8 Sep 2012 (23 min 8 sec)

Nice!
FXmodel is offline Find More Posts by FXmodel
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:41 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
2,932 Posts
That was a fun video to watch, great commentary, and a great selection of planes, I liked the inverted laps. Ian
bluffman is offline Find More Posts by bluffman