Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Monell View Post
My cigarette lighter charger states on the label
12-24 VDC input and 5VDC 1.5a output.
I haven't tried any tests with it yet as to whether the camera will only charge or record as well.
I haven't tried anything other then just plugging it into my 12v power outlet on my pick-up and videoing my drive home from the soccer fields (yawn) but it "seems" to only allow you to video, not charge. I'm probably wrong about this but I could not get the red charging light to come on when hooked up to the cigarette lighter adapter that was included.

It may be charging at the same time as it is taking video, I dunno. I just know that when I would plug it in there would be no light (vs computer usb = red light) and when I held the button it would only go to yellow (computer usb, plug in = red light, press button = red light changes to yellow)

I thought it was advertised as a charger/power adapter. Makes me wonder if my adapter might be defective. It;ll be interesting to hear others experiences with the adapter.

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:40 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Yabba, in regards to my quoted comment, I just had a thought as I was watching one more time your ground video in the other forum where I commented on the "changing color" of the field stripes . You mentioned you were using your "clothespin camera" so I'm wondering if you had the HD cam clipped UNDER the bill of a baseball cap, or something like that? That could explain why the upper corners of your video were considerably darker than the bottom corners, and why the AV you just posted did not show this!! Am I right!
You're a little right . My world famous clothespin camera mount actually clips to the side of my eyeglasses (the earpiece actually although I don't want to give away too many industrial secrets) and so it is not actually under the bill of my b'ball hat BUT, it IS shaded by the bill sometimes and especially when I'm looking to my left (the NORTHEAST and NORTH tahdah). We fly at that field looking to the east so anything biased to the left of the camera view may be catching a little shaded effect from the bill of the hat. Genius !

Yabba
Old Dec 30, 2010, 01:06 PM
Joined Feb 2010
54 Posts
Well I'm confused, Tom. If you're referring to Yabba's video posted in #9 of this thread, I see a good bit of vignetting in it. I guess I missed the other video with the white and yellow stripes, but this current AV is definitely darker around the edges than in the center, at least to my eye.

I wonder if there's an anti-vignetting filter, or a vignetting filter that could be configured as such, in vdub.
wayback is offline Find More Posts by wayback
Old Dec 30, 2010, 01:11 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,372 Posts
Vignette

Well if it's Yabba's hat, I'll eat mine! (where's the Tabasco...). The problem is Alex's video has some too. We need to see more videos, and then we'll know for sure

I looked in Ulead to see if there is any way to make a variable density mask, vignettes are sometimes used for weddings or glamor shoots, but I ran out of time. It looks complicated because sometimes it's not so bad ie variable.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Dec 30, 2010, 01:17 PM
Joined Feb 2010
54 Posts
I just wanted to add for those contemplating replacing that 8-pin chip, first, don't even think about it.

But if you do give it a try, I would like to second the suggestion of clipping the leads near the chip and desoldering them individually. But you might find something called desoldering braid useful in doing the desoldering, and in cleaning the old solder off the pads. Just put the braid on the pad, and the iron tip on the braid, and the braid should soak up the melted solder.

Then, with everything cleaned up, I suggest you carefully superglue the belly of the replacement chip to the board, with the leads resting right on the pads. It will be hard enough to do the soldering without the chip moving around on you.

And finally, or firstly, since there is no real power switch on these things, it probably would be a good idea to desolder one battery lead before starting this repair, just so there won't be live power anywhere.

The big risk in doing the soldering is creating a solder bridge between two adjacent pins. with components this small, it's really easy to do that. So, as I said up front, don't even think about doing this. But good luck if you do.
wayback is offline Find More Posts by wayback
Old Dec 30, 2010, 02:06 PM
Poland
Joined Dec 2010
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfly View Post
Absolutely! Thanks Tom!

Mine has still not arrived and was paid for 8th Dec. I guess its just a waiting game thanks to the Christmas post and heavy snow

Simon
I bought in day 06-12-2010 Mini HD DV Car Camera from internet-shop365 on eBay.
Payment 06-12-2010 by PayPal . Shipping for me 07-12-2010.
Package reached to me really today. Weather conditions in this helped

Mirek
jantares is offline Find More Posts by jantares
Old Dec 30, 2010, 02:33 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
Car Charger

I dont think there is a problem with car charger as mine did not show it charging (red light) when I plugged it in either...heres a qwick un-edited vid with no time stamp...raining and a bit foggy here so video isnt the best...If anyone wants to compare notes heres my HD page Also the driver CD isnt included with cam so you will need to ask for it...
finster is offline Find More Posts by finster
Last edited by finster; Dec 30, 2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 02:38 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,363 Posts
My order for the HD keychain camera from eletoponling365 has arrived at my local post office. It should be delivered tomorrow. I ordered it on December 19, 2010. Unknowingly, he also sold me the the two V3's I bought earlier this year.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Dec 30, 2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 03:56 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,363 Posts
Mine arrived today to my surprise. I plugged it in and captured some snapshots from Corel Video Studio Pro X3. The camera is charging but it is getting dark outside. I may try outdoors with some halogen lights. Meanwhile, here are some snapshots. See below:
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2010, 04:07 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn Don View Post
Hope the next step is FOB with a CCD sensor. Captn Don
That will never happen. The reason thay can make these cams this good and cheap is because it is CMOS. CMOS takes lots less energy and will run alot longer on the same sized battery. Thats why home video cams are so small now. If they made this into a CCD cam you would only get run times of a few minutes per charge because the CCD takes so much more power. CMOS made this possible. You can't hardly find a home video camera anymore that is CCD....especially in HD format.
frogman1206 is offline Find More Posts by frogman1206
Old Dec 30, 2010, 04:27 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,363 Posts
Here are the instructions that came with HD keychain camera.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2010, 04:57 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,363 Posts
1st HD key cam video

Here is a short HD keycam video I just loaded to YOUTUBE. It's in HD format for Youtube. This is a worse case of video making -- dark, halogen lamps even lens flares. Enjoy. Good audio capture.

1st HD #11 key cam video.MOV (0 min 30 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2010, 05:01 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
The camera still mode doesn't take the place of my Canon EOS but seems to do fairly well in bright sunlight..

Yabba
Old Dec 30, 2010, 05:05 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Here is a short HD keycam video I just loaded to YOUTUBE. It's in HD format for Youtube. This is a worse case of video making -- dark, halogen lamps even lens flares. Enjoy. Good audio capture.
Looks like a keeper Prof. Be interesting tomorrow at the crack of dawn

Re a comment on the other thread, I thought my camera was pretty well focused compared to my earlier #3's. I may have to send it to you for a focus adjustment

Yabba
Closed Thread