HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2010, 09:31 AM
Pass me some zip-ties!
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Nov 2006
2,525 Posts
Discussion
SFCC Field Flying

Created this thread for the folks who regularly fly at SFCC Field in Gainesville, Florida to coordinate with each other. Who's going and when, etc, etc, etc.

We are a group of RC Hobbyists that normally fly on the weekends at Santa Fe Community College in Gainesville, Florida. The location is off 39th Avenue and I-75. We fly in the field that is used for parking and other purposes that faces 39th avenue. All we ask is that anyone that flies there is very respectful of the College's property and the people that use it. If you see anyone doing anything that is illegal or could have a negative impact on the property, we ask that you call the SFCC Police Department and report it (Std: 352-395-5519 or Emerg: 352-395-5555). The folks that work for the PD are really nice and they really appreciate. Plus they go to bat and fight hard to keep it so we are allowed to fly out there.

Weather Links, METAR's:
http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/laun...=KGNV&state=FL
Someone's Personal Weather Station a few miles from SFCC:
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wx.cgi?call=DW6668
KGNV Translated Metar:
http://www.globalair.com/airport/apt...ranslatedmetar
Wunderground Aviation Zip Code Search:
http://www.wunderground.com/Aviation/
Surrounding METAR collectors:
http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/KGNV
HansAuf is online now Find More Posts by HansAuf
Last edited by HansAuf; Oct 23, 2012 at 11:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2010, 09:33 AM
Pass me some zip-ties!
Joined Nov 2006
2,525 Posts
Who's flying this weekend?

Who's flying this weekend? I'm going Saturday. I want to see ACKopter fly those 2 new planks and Nelson fly his F4U. Plus I want some more time with my Pitts S12.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:03 PM
Branford, Florida
Joined Jun 2010
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansAuf View Post
Who's flying this weekend? I'm going Saturday. I want to see ACKopter fly those 2 new planks and Nelson fly his F4U. Plus I want some more time with my Pitts S12.

I should be there around 1:00 or possibly a tad later. Gotta fly local here in the AM.
ACKopter is offline Find More Posts by ACKopter
Old Sep 14, 2010, 06:41 AM
Branford, Florida
Joined Jun 2010
602 Posts
Good time but damn, was it ever hot.
I'm all set and re-propped from my inverted landing, who's in for this coming saturday?
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:26 AM
Pass me some zip-ties!
Joined Nov 2006
2,525 Posts
It was dayum hot! Since I did not get video of the inverted landing I'm gonna need you to do it again. May take 2-3 takes. I think I'll be there. I want to try a different prop on my Pitts.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 02:59 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
Joined Nov 2006
2,525 Posts
Ordered a bada** hacker motor to replace the one in my Pitts. Hold on baby, it's gonna get hairy!
Old Sep 15, 2010, 04:54 PM
Branford, Florida
Joined Jun 2010
602 Posts
OH MY!!!, any chance you'll have it ready for the weekend? She looked pretty sweet last Saturday, does it still feel sluggish, or just wanting more oomph?
Old Sep 16, 2010, 02:43 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
Joined Nov 2006
2,525 Posts
Actually, the dang thing is on the FedEx truck and says "out for delivery". How that happened I'll never know. I actually ordered it from Amazon with an award coupon from work. So yeah, I guess it'll be ready by then. It's like it is on the tip top edge of having enough power but just not quite there. I don't think a prop/battery mix is going to make it feel right for me. Just like the old saying with hot rods.. There's no replacement for displacement. I hope this will push it to what I want it to feel like because that's a beautiful bipe.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 09:10 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
Joined Nov 2006
2,525 Posts
Motor got here already! Very surprised. However, the darn set screw in the shaft is stripped from the factory. So I had to mount it differently (Shaft back w/ADPT post fwd). I wasn't happy at first, but because I mounted it that way I did not have to modify the mounts or the cowl. If I would have had it like I wanted it, I would have had to modify both.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 01:59 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
Joined Nov 2006
2,525 Posts
Tomorrow ain't looking real good... 12 - 13 MPH winds. Sunday's about the same.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 02:56 PM
Branford, Florida
Joined Jun 2010
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansAuf View Post
Tomorrow ain't looking real good... 12 - 13 MPH winds. Sunday's about the same.
That SUX, I just got home and its windy as crap. I wondered if it will be blowin tomorrow or not, I guess it will.
I'll have to see how things develop, I still need to get with Nelson and pick up a fish from him if things work out so I may be making the trip anyhow.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 03:22 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
Joined Nov 2006
2,525 Posts
Yeah, and I got my 12x8E props to pick up. Have to see what weather looks like in 6-8 hours. Maybe it'll change.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 07:39 PM
Branford, Florida
Joined Jun 2010
602 Posts
I headed back outside right after I made this post. It was dead calm so maybe winds will be hit and mostly miss.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:06 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
Joined Nov 2006
2,525 Posts
Yeah, I think it's going to be one of those where if you don't go it's going to be the best day ever and if you do go it'll be more windy than a yeti fart. So I'm gonna make the trek to G'ville. What can I say, I'm into Yeti farts.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 06:23 AM
Branford, Florida
Joined Jun 2010
602 Posts
Your more than likely right.
Looks like Nelson is stepping out. I still need to see him though so if I can line it up for today then i'll come over.
I'll just call you in a little while when I better know what's going on.