HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:09 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
If you can find a supplier that sells the Blade Tandem Navigation Lights replacement part you could use that, it is usually around $5.99
I have a set of those, but the Tandem lights plug into separate sockets on the board. How would it work for a Champ?
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:35 PM
United States, TX, Conroe
Joined Oct 2012
11 Posts
L-16B Grasshopper

This is my first post, so be patient if it does not work.

This is my sixth mod of the Champ. It is the Aeronca L-16B Grasshopper used in the Korean War for reconn, directing artillery, rescue/ med evac, and liason flights. She looks great in the air.

Name: L16B.jpg
Views: 141
Size: 182.8 KB
Description: My 6th mod of the Champ: Aeronca L-16B Grasshopper used during the Korean War.
Loserboy is offline Find More Posts by Loserboy
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:38 AM
Brookings, OR.
Joined Dec 2005
238 Posts
L 16

Good job Loserboy. I to have an L16 Grasshopper that I made from champ. It truly looks great in the air.

Mike F
Mike F is offline Find More Posts by Mike F
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:00 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loserboy View Post
This is my sixth mod of the Champ.
Excellent. Did you take any in-progress pics of any of the six you did?

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:37 PM
Joined Oct 2012
11 Posts
Other mods

Here are a couple of other mods.

The BR-549 was my first mod with larger wheels, a P-51 motor, tail wheel on the fuselage and wings struts to take some of the dihedral out to make it easier to fly upside down.

The Texan was my second biplane. I moved the wings back 3/8" to balance the CG for the second wing and crop dusting was perfect. With the P-51 motor it could do 11 loops in a row before loosing power.

[ATTACH]Name: Texan.jpg
Views: 89
Size: 65.5 KB
Description: Biplane with the wings moved backwards to balance the CG.[/ATTACH]
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:43 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
In the second half I show the project takin off the paint and in a decision

Login lens d and champ (1 min 23 sec)
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:17 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,786 Posts
Fishy, can't wait to see the finale result brother.
LoserBoy, that looks great. You apperantlly are a master at modding. Sure looks a lot better than the ones I did. hahaha.
I am one of the guys that did a bi-wing champ. An extended wing champ. Heck, I have prolly just about done all you can do with one. Brushless, bigger tires, etc. I never did floats though. No reason to. No water or snow here for me to fly off of. haha.
Happy Flyin everyone.
Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:39 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Fishy, can't wait to see the finale result brother.
LoserBoy, that looks great. You apperantlly are a master at modding. Sure looks a lot better than the ones I did. hahaha.
I am one of the guys that did a bi-wing champ. An extended wing champ. Heck, I have prolly just about done all you can do with one. Brushless, bigger tires, etc. I never did floats though. No reason to. No water or snow here for me to fly off of. haha.
Happy Flyin everyone.
Lee
leethetreeguy, after seeing Loserboy's plane I said WOW! what was I thinking? nah. I always keep my mind thinking, and today I stripped the colors off again.
Blue was easy, red is not, will soak the wing to get the Re d out and may just continue forward. Thanks bud appreciate teh kind words.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:40 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Champs repair how to changing the prop, and repairing the motor mount the unconventional way

Hobby zone champ How to Repair the motor mount (3 min 10 sec)
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Oct 2012
11 Posts
A fuselage paint saver

This is what I do with my Champ to save the paint when I need to open the fuselage. I make a tab on the back of the removable part of the fuselage to hold the pieces together at the back end and use a strap to hold the front together. This way I can open the fuselage repeatedly without tearing off paint.

I also added a battery cover as you can see in the middle pic just to make it look better.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:35 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,560 Posts
Nice

Another tip for how to actually still use tape on the body halves without peeling the paint when repeatedly opening the fuselage is to leave the original tape pieces in place permanently... slice these tape pieces along the crack between the body halves with a sharp hobby knife when you need to open the fuse... then tape the fuse back together using slightly smaller tape pieces on top of the original permanent (now sliced) pieces. When you need to open the fuse again, you just peel off these smaller pieces and you're not peeling paint or building up multiple layers of tape... the original tape is your permanent paint-protecting base for the 2nd layer which gets applied and discarded as needed
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:00 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
SWEET!.

Il earned the battery option is not for me, resons cutting ito the landing gear. Didi t and eventually it lead to issues. not saying it is bad, just not for me. The tape is a great idea. also use tape one time on there, and then place smaller peices. but eventually it leads to tearing.

Yes making a paper band or elastic band.

I may go an extra step like mentioned in avideo. rubberband my wing with dowels.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:53 AM
Dallas USA, TX
Joined Jul 2010
206 Posts
Loserboy: What are your wing struts made of?
eagle1933 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1933
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:07 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,115 Posts
Good stuff Guys. Good tutorial fishy. I wish you delved into that 1.5mm screw head a little more in depth. The spacer, thickness of prop, etc. I though the prop just popped off holding the shaft with hemostats.

Here's a good battery holder mod I did a little while back so, if some of you seen this before, sorry for beating a dead horse. I do that at times

What I did was cover the flat area of the entire battery cavity with "fuzz" velcrow (except where the LG slides into the fuse). I made a sleeve (9.5mm) out of shrink tube and stuck some "hooked" velcro onto that. It is super light and holds "AWESOME." I never had a "hanger" after or during flight. It will even slip over the stock batt that come with your Champ with that crappy velcro. BTW, all that velcro that comes with the Champ's batt set-up is crappy...just my HO

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2805

@North Are you still not impressed yet OR are you still fumbling with magnets Sorry could not resist

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined Oct 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle1933 View Post
Loserboy: What are your wing struts made of?
The wing struts are made of 0.032" music wire soldered together and painted. They are heavy and fragile but I like the look. They take away some of the dihedral so the plane is not as stable as when I remove them.