Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:40 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGrin View Post
Kurt, the FMS B-25 props are well suited to our P-38's....but check your wattages and flight times....I'll bet you will get more thrust and possible quieter flights....but your flight times will most likely be less......alert alert alert

Really keen on getting your flight report....so keep up posted

TwistedGrin
Will do.
Supposedly the FMS B-25 props are 9x6.5 while I've been running Master Airscrew 9x7s, but the FMS blades are definitely wider so they'll take bigger chunks of air.
Halfway through the landing gear relocation on the F-82 I took a break to assemble the Horten BV-38 that arrived today. Sometimes nice to just throw a plane together in an hour or two rather than rebuild it from the ground up

New P-38 motors from HK are still on the slow boat from China... hope they get here this week so I can put them in and have a couple more flights before spending the month of July in Germany. Will try to check out some RC airfields while I'm there, but without my planes it's going to hurt!
cheers
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2014, 08:00 AM
United States, CA, Lincoln
Joined Jan 2011
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Will do.
Supposedly the FMS B-25 props are 9x6.5 while I've been running Master Airscrew 9x7s, but the FMS blades are definitely wider so they'll take bigger chunks of air.
Halfway through the landing gear relocation on the F-82 I took a break to assemble the Horten BV-38 that arrived today. Sometimes nice to just throw a plane together in an hour or two rather than rebuild it from the ground up

New P-38 motors from HK are still on the slow boat from China... hope they get here this week so I can put them in and have a couple more flights before spending the month of July in Germany. Will try to check out some RC airfields while I'm there, but without my planes it's going to hurt!
cheers
Kurt, if you're going to be in/near Berlin, check out the field that Warbirdfan66 flies at....looks beautiful there. If you haven't checked out his YT vids, you should. He's an excellent modeler.
6Sally5 is online now Find More Posts by 6Sally5
Old Jun 13, 2014, 06:00 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Sally5 View Post
Kurt, if you're going to be in/near Berlin, check out the field that Warbirdfan66 flies at....looks beautiful there. If you haven't checked out his YT vids, you should. He's an excellent modeler.
Thanks for the suggestion but this trip I'll be on the western side of Germany near Dusseldorf and don't plan on going in the area of Berlin (again, I lived not to far from there for 3 years).
The guy who took the great vid of the big gas P-38 I posted earlier seems to mainly hang out in Oberhausen, which I'll be very close to so hopefully will visit their field and see some giants.
Would love to see the RC Jet World cup, last year it was in Switzerland but haven't found out if it will be again this year, and when.
#1 priority is to visit the Nurburgring again (been there 14 times..... addicted) and visit at least one country I haven't been to. In Europe all that's left is Spain and smaller eastern European countries like Albania, Bulgaria, Belarus etc.
prost!
Last edited by Kurt; Jun 13, 2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 09:39 AM
Joined Nov 2008
209 Posts
Where to buy ?

Sorry about being new to this board but where do you buy these P-38 these
days given that Banana Hobby does not carry them anymore

found some on ebay but is that a good deal and the same product as discussed here;
I usually buy stuff from HK or Banana Hobby

http://www.ebay.com/itm/J-Power-P-38...-/231288591506

PS: based in USA but not in a hurry
fbitz777 is offline Find More Posts by fbitz777
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:23 AM
nom
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2011
1,517 Posts
I have ordered from Atomik and they ship pretty fast. The only other place that I know that carries these is killerplanes.com but they are expensive. I would order the bird from Atomik...you won't regret it! Based on the specs on the ebay page it looks like it is the same bird. I don't know of another size that Jpowers put out that still takes a 3cell 2200-2600mah lipo. I will say that 2600mah will be tight. I got mine from Hobbyking back in 2011 and I think I paid about $110 shipped back then so the price is pretty good especially since these are tough to find.
nom is online now Find More Posts by nom
Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,803 Posts
I have not flown either of my P-38's in quite awhile.....

My #1 Killer Planes carbon fiber stabbed J-Power V2 P-38 landing gear is in tact but the landing gear is too small for the little school yard rough grass I am flying at recently.....only the perfectly manicured grass of the club field will allow this bird to take off and land.

My #2 UAX V1 P-38 is a hand tosser that has been hopped up with Airfield B-25 motors and props counter rotating......each belly landing landing sheered off some component of the plane during the skid...so I need to fly it again post repairs and see how the flights go

This is such an awesome plane to see fly especially with LED kits in them....I only wish larger wheels/gear were a possibility for them...they need to be bigger than a quarter to roll on rough grass....sigh

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,828 Posts
uhg, tell me about it TG.
Mine's been in the maintenance shop since late May when she burned a motor. Replacements from HK got lost somewhere on the other side of the world, and just this week finally got someone who would ship me out another 2 from the US warehouse where they're now in stock.
BTW If you're in the US here's the guy to go to if you have a problem with HK: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2139842

Having the F-82 satisfies my twin-engined-fighter needs, but I still miss flying the Lightning and need to get a few pics of them on the runway together.

I did just order a 3300mAh Zippy Compact 4S battery which should squeeze in the the P-38's nose and give me another minute in the air.
Flying 9+ minutes with dual 2700's in the F-82 has been spoiling me...

You don't have to go all Sterling on the gear, but with some beefing up of the mounts, 4mm piano wire struts, and 2-1/2"+ tires it should be able to handle smoother grass. I only fly from blacktop runways so the re-done gear on mine laugh off just about anything I can throw at them.
Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM
nom
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2011
1,517 Posts
I flew my V1 just this last weekend...still love how it looks in the air! I also have the B25 props on mine and it flies great and I still hand launch and belly land it. Just like Kurt though I have been flying my small 50mm edfs. Hey Kurt thanks for the link to HK support but I would be interested in seeing pics of your F-82!
Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,803 Posts
Yep and I just found I can cram in an Admiral 3s 30c 3300mAh LiPo into theV1....the 3300mAh LiPo is sorta heavy for belly landings perhaps?

Admiral 3s 30c 3300mAh = 254grams
Gforce 3s 30C 2600mAh = 190grams
Turnigy Nanotech 3s 65c 2250mAh = 209grams

I tried flying 4s LiPo on my AUX V-1 and it squelched out the ESC's on take off and auggered in at full tilt...so I will only fly the V1 belly lander on 3s and just cruise around. I have flown it three times full length (5) minutes on the 2250mAh so I might press forward with a six minute flight via 2600mAh especially since it is a tad bit lighter.

I need to see if I can fly both of my P-38's at the school yard and try to get them back into flight rotation.....I have not been to the club field's "pristine grass runway" for months (Freeway work, traffic - time etc etc)

Hopefully the winds will calm down enough for me to at least try the V1 again at the school yard in the next couple of days

TwistedGrin
Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,828 Posts
Love that y'all are still flying V1s. Did you notice that we're rapidly approaching the 5 year anniversary of this thread?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nom View Post
Hey Kurt thanks for the link to HK support but I would be interested in seeing pics of your F-82!
Nom - build pics are in the Durafly 1100mm P-51 thread, I also stuck a few in the first video:
[720p] F-82 Twin Mustang maiden flight (2xDurafly P-51d kit bash) (3 min 17 sec)

[720p] F-82 Twin Mustang 2nd and 3rd flights (6 min 33 sec)

She makes a great wingman for the Lightning. Both are 1500mm wingspan, which fits since they are both almost exactly the same on the real ones.
Up to 6 flights now, just have to finish the center wing and put on a few stickers.
Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM
nom
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2011
1,517 Posts
Awesome vids! Thanks for sharing!
Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,803 Posts
Great job Kurt, good flying too and a super interesting airframe....you don't see that one very often - not even photos much less a flying video!!!

Hats off man!!

TwistedGrin
Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,828 Posts
Thanks guys!
Now for the real dilemma: Saturday morning is forcest to be perfect flying weather, the new motors for the P-38 should be here tomorrow, and last night a new plane arrived (red/white/blue F-16 with 70mm EDF & thrust vector oh yeah).
If I only have time for one - assemble the jet or repair the P-38 - which one should I chose?!?!
1st world problems...
Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM
nom
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2011
1,517 Posts
Whichever one takes the least amount of time so you can fly it!