HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2003, 06:22 AM
Perth, Tasmania, Australia
Joined May 2000
354 Posts
FVK Organic Experience

I recently upgrade from a 2.5m Silent Dream to an Organic 2m. What a model! I use it in our 7 cell LMR competition and it is fantastic. It is a carbon/kevlar mix and if you can get one do yourself a favour and buy it. Thermals in light lift, can return from altitude in a flash due to strong but lightweight construction. Flaps and crow braking make pinpoint landings a breeze (although I'm still perfecting those). 400ft in 6 seconds with my Hacker B40-5L carbon motor and Schultze 97F controller. I'm also using 7 x 1600mAh cells. I have the 210mm chord version that was produced for the US market.

Cheers
GeorgeC is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeC
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2003, 06:31 AM
Switzerland
Joined Oct 2002
70 Posts
Thanks, very interesting! What is the weight of the glider?
smoo is offline Find More Posts by smoo
Old Feb 21, 2003, 06:57 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,870 Posts
Hi George

I have the 2.5 with Hacker 8L and 8 cells. Do you use crow or just flaps for landing? I don't exactlyknow how they do the aerial hinge but it works a treat.
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Feb 21, 2003, 03:24 PM
Perth, Tasmania, Australia
Joined May 2000
354 Posts
The glider weighs 53ozs or 1.5kg's. I use crow braking which is perfect providing you feed in sufficient down elevator to stop the model ballooning. I have a Multiplex mc4000 which makes all this easy to do (when you work out the programming).
GeorgeC is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeC
Old Mar 03, 2003, 08:42 AM
Germany
Joined Jan 2003
4 Posts
Weight

You can find the weight and complete details at http://www.fmodell.com/

Steve
Stephen Drake is offline Find More Posts by Stephen Drake
Old Mar 03, 2003, 12:10 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2001
9 Posts
Hi George

Did you aquire your Organic locally or import it? Just wondering if there is an agent in Aussie.

cheers
Phill K is offline Find More Posts by Phill K
Old Mar 03, 2003, 01:12 PM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,870 Posts
There isn't an agent in Oz to my knowledge. Order from overseas, probably directly from vlad's models is best. There is a waiting list. They ship in a nice plywood box. My experience with them is positive.

Shipping can be expensive, or cheaper if you don't mind waiting another 4 weeks from when they are ready to ship.

dave
Old Mar 03, 2003, 05:33 PM
United States, FL, Starke
Joined Apr 2002
2,259 Posts
You could try ordering from NSP where I got mine. Shipping is going to be unpleasant anywhere outside Australia for you I expect.

Dave
Doc Data is offline Find More Posts by Doc Data
Old Mar 08, 2003, 08:07 PM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,870 Posts
Had a chance to briefly compare the silent dream 2.2 against the organic 2.5 (wide cord version) today.

SD is a significantly slower bird than the Organic. Airfoils do mattter as far as I am concerned. The Organic has a shorter fuselage despite its longer wing span, and this makes it less stable in pitch. The Organic's fuselage is much thinner. That makes it faster, but its also harder to get all the gear in, particulaly as you have leave room for the central flap linkage to move.

In short the organic is harder to fly, but a lot more fun.

Both planes are hard to see at a distance. Pretty as it is on the ground transparent red makes orientation extremely difficult at a distance.

I think it would be better if the underneath of the wing is was in a contrasting colour to to the top of the wing. I'm a fan of the ugly but effective black and shocking pink stripes.

later
dave
Old Mar 09, 2003, 08:40 AM
jjc
Joined Sep 2002
276 Posts
I have the same problem with my red silent dream 2.5, some days its just hard to see. They also make them in yellow. I wonder if they are easier to see? John
jjc is online now Find More Posts by jjc
Old Mar 09, 2003, 01:39 PM
United States, FL, Starke
Joined Apr 2002
2,259 Posts
Although I haven't yet done so, I will probably have to do something for my 2.5M Organic. I'm thinking about copying the yellow cross on a black background that came on the Spirit 2M ARF. I remember how amazingly visbile it was. I'l probably do one under each wing.

I don't think the yellow transparent covering would be any better. My Omega 2M has several transparent colors and I eventually added some black trimcote to improve visibility.

It made a huge difference.

Dave
Doc Data is offline Find More Posts by Doc Data
Last edited by Doc Data; Mar 09, 2003 at 01:41 PM.