Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 18, 2014, 08:08 AM
Allways the hard way!
South Africa, GP, Germiston
Joined Jan 2012
410 Posts
Question
ENYA 09 diesel conversion question

I have this ENYA 09 IV that i want to convert to diesel. I did my drawing for the parts needed (ok, its only mental sketches atm) but have a question regarding the piston:

It has this rib across the crown which i think is meant to control the flow in/out of the ports to prevent (?) un-burnt feul flowing out the zortst? (see PDF attached)

This rib will interfere with the counter-piston and i need to know if removing it will totally disrupt airflow making it a dog? It has no chance as a Nitro in my hanger so not too concerned if it does not run as a nitro again...

Your help/advice needed please

Regards
George
georgy is offline Find More Posts by georgy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2014, 06:22 PM
Mt Evelyn, Melbourne, OZ
Joined Dec 2008
601 Posts
Removing the piston deflector will certainly cause performance problems.
Cross flow motors really need this deflector.

I would not have said that the old Enya 09 was a good candidate for conversion.
They are great little glow engines, however the relatively slack piston fit is fine for glow, but rather a problem for diesels.
Enya do a modern 09 diesel, but it uses heavier crank, heavier conrod and a flat top piston with schnuerle porting.

Why not go for a proper little PAW 09? Excellent engines and none of the problems.
Warren B is online now Find More Posts by Warren B
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:08 AM
Allways the hard way!
Joined Jan 2012
410 Posts
Thanx Warren.. It will remain un-modded then. There's a couple of options in my LHS... From very used, to new. Used motors well with-in my budget, new ones... not so much!

regards
George
Old Aug 19, 2014, 03:12 AM
Mt Evelyn, Melbourne, OZ
Joined Dec 2008
601 Posts
Hi George,
Many diesels have very long lives, but some do not and others are best left alone!
Maybe post the possible candidates here to get some second opinions before buying.

An engine which started life as a diesel is the most attractive prospect usually, and on my opinion mich more interesting and fun to operate than any of the glow conversions.
Warren B is online now Find More Posts by Warren B
Old Aug 19, 2014, 05:37 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,509 Posts
Hi George,
Wise words by Warren.
You just have to look at the forums. You'll see that there's a sort of "secondary hobby" of getting glow conversions or poor quality diesels to run, and "success" is if the guy succeeds in getting it to run at all...
If you actually want to fly general sport RC using a diesel, with no nonsense and no problems, reliable quality at a reasonable price, then it has to be PAW. Any size from half a cc to a "60"... There have been several other good RC diesels, but they're no longer made.
If you're considering buying S/H from your LHS then, as Warren suggests, we can discuss it here... Otherwise, get the guy to run the engine for you or, better still, try it yourself before buying.
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 02:11 AM
Allways the hard way!
Joined Jan 2012
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Hi George,
Wise words by Warren.
You just have to look at the forums. You'll see that there's a sort of "secondary hobby" of getting glow conversions or poor quality diesels to run, and "success" is if the guy succeeds in getting it to run at all...
If you actually want to fly general sport RC using a diesel, with no nonsense and no problems, reliable quality at a reasonable price, then it has to be PAW. Any size from half a cc to a "60"... There have been several other good RC diesels, but they're no longer made.
If you're considering buying S/H from your LHS then, as Warren suggests, we can discuss it here... Otherwise, get the guy to run the engine for you or, better still, try it yourself before buying.
I will see if i can get a decent diesel from the old-timer group that i fly with once a month... the conversion is very much a "cos-i-can" challenge. I will how-ever see if i can find a more suitable candidate. One of the locals put me into contact with a diesel-conversion guru... apparently he even did ducted fan motors in his day!

Thanx for the advice gents.

George
Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,119 Posts
Hi George, Avcom seems to be the place everyone in South Africa trades modelling things. I just sold a heap of motors on there, alot of which were diesels. Are you selling the enya?
Cheers
Simon
Snorks is offline Find More Posts by Snorks