Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:38 PM
Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
1,916 Posts
Discussion
Hobbyking Mini Stick

After searching the forums looking for mini stick planes, I stumbled across this. The thread is rather short, and looks like it has since lost interest. I was going to see if it would start up, but it looks like someone tried awhile back and no one bit.

My creepy love for the Ultra Stick line has me very interested in this plane. Its pretty cheap on the hobbyking website, except Im sure shipping would double it. I wish there was an option without the motor and ESC, cause Id love to over power this thing. I think id also mount the motor outside, to you know, show of the guns

Ive currently got a foamie scratchbuild micro stick in progress (found here) but I think I would be happy having only ultra sticks in my hangar :P The videos looks like it flys well and looks like it is built nice.

I think for it too fit my love of the sticks, I would need to make a similiar vertical stab to those found on the ultra sticks, and maybe some blue color on the wing, but Im for sure interested. I would like to hear of anyone else who has/had this thing, and what their thoughts are on it. Mainly if it is worth the 50 some dollars. I noticed the kit they have similiar to this model, but I dont think my skills are good enough to build a balsa kit.

Heres the youtube video of this plane.
Mini Stick - HobbyKing Product Sneak Preview (2 min 39 sec)

The pictures are from the hobbyking website

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17181

If there is a main thread that I am missing, please point me to it. Ive havent come up with anything on the RCGroups search, or Google. A few cox glow conversions came up, but Im not sure if that was for this plane, or another.
hot glue is offline Find More Posts by hot glue
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:56 PM
fly 1 day, repair the next 3
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Dec 2012
160 Posts
This is the one I have and I absolutely love it. http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...gsReviews=true

Read the reviews on it. They are great. It's a great second plane with lots of room to grow. I might be ready for the larger 480 motor. I will always have one of these planes in my hanger
Myko is offline Find More Posts by Myko
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:04 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myko View Post
This is the one I have and I absolutely love it. http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...gsReviews=true

Read the reviews on it. They are great. It's a great second plane with lots of room to grow. I might be ready for the larger 480 motor. I will always have one of these planes in my hanger
sweet ! can you list out what motor,prop and esc you chose for it ?
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:32 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot glue View Post
After searching the forums looking for mini stick planes, I stumbled across this. The thread is rather short, and looks like it has since lost interest. I was going to see if it would start up, but it looks like someone tried awhile back and no one bit.

My creepy love for the Ultra Stick line has me very interested in this plane. Its pretty cheap on the hobbyking website, except Im sure shipping would double it. I wish there was an option without the motor and ESC, cause Id love to over power this thing. I think id also mount the motor outside, to you know, show of the guns

Ive currently got a foamie scratchbuild micro stick in progress (found here) but I think I would be happy having only ultra sticks in my hangar :P The videos looks like it flys well and looks like it is built nice.

I think for it too fit my love of the sticks, I would need to make a similiar vertical stab to those found on the ultra sticks, and maybe some blue color on the wing, but Im for sure interested. I would like to hear of anyone else who has/had this thing, and what their thoughts are on it. Mainly if it is worth the 50 some dollars. I noticed the kit they have similiar to this model, but I dont think my skills are good enough to build a balsa kit.

Heres the youtube video of this plane.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgPj5u5qA28

The pictures are from the hobbyking website

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17181

If there is a main thread that I am missing, please point me to it. Ive havent come up with anything on the RCGroups search, or Google. A few cox glow conversions came up, but Im not sure if that was for this plane, or another.

wow ! what a great price ! $55 and it comes with servos,motor all ready to go !
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:40 AM
Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
1,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myko View Post

Thats actually the one that has sparked my interest in the stick planes. A few years ago I had two of these. Both powered by the Eflight Park 480. The look of the big motor hanging off the front was too cool, and it just flew so well.

I have since then taken an interest in micro planes. Thats where this hobbyking came up. Small size, and balsa which is pretty cool to me.

I have read a review about the motor included coming apart. I dont know much about the motor or ESC but I would probably switch it out with something bigger. And mounted externally, cause I like to see the motor
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:51 AM
Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
1,916 Posts
Hah, well a little searching on hobbyking.com I found a Mini Stick ARF, without the electronics

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...80mm_ARF_.html

27 dollars seems too good to pass up on a balsa ARF, I dont care how if flys Except -2 in stock. Seems like thats most of hobbykings website.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

USA warehouse has it as well, for 29 dollars. But again, -3 in stock.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...80mm_KIT_.html

Heres the kit, incase anyone is interested. 16 bucks gets you this one. I dont think this is the one for me, as I think by the time I would finish a balsa kit, it wouldnt be an airplane :P

Although with the shipping Im guessing going to cost around the same as the plane, it might be worth it to buy both the ARF and kit at the same time? Maybe having a ARF will help with building a kit. Now that Im thinking about it, 16 bucks would be a good way to practice covering with iron on film. Too many ideas, too many planes already in progress I fear that this one will join my collection soon.

I found another YouTube video. Looks like it flys similiar to the MUS.

Hobbyking Mini Stick flights (8 min 52 sec)
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:23 AM
Winter Haven FL
Joined Dec 2003
508 Posts
I know you were building a stick out of foam, have you tried the Ugl E Stick in the scratchbuilt plans?

I also love sticks, and my last nitro was an ultra stick that is still hanging on my garage wall. The wife keeps telling me to get rid of it, but I can't!!
Byrdman is offline Find More Posts by Byrdman
Last edited by Byrdman; Feb 02, 2013 at 06:28 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:40 AM
darn you, kakka carrot cake.
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
looks liek a GWS slow stick, but on steroids.
derpron is offline Find More Posts by derpron
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:47 AM
Snappy Title On Backorder....
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Jun 2011
1,058 Posts
If you think a MUS with a 480 is fun hang a Power 10 with a 9x9 prop off the front and see if that'll make you grin. Set it up with quad flaps and it'll float on a breeze and then hit 90mph all day long.
tsymonds is offline Find More Posts by tsymonds
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:11 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
The original purpose of the Ugly Stik was to create an easy fast build acrobatic plane. They are most likely one of the easiest plane to build. I think the HK kit would be a dandy plane and very easy to build for a first timer.
zeroback is offline Find More Posts by zeroback
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:36 AM
fly 1 day, repair the next 3
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Dec 2012
160 Posts
Ihave a 11.5 prop and a 30 amp esc. Works okay I guess. Hovers but won't putt out. Lol ok I'm not gonna touch that one.
Myko is offline Find More Posts by Myko
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:38 AM
Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
1,916 Posts
You know they way I found this plane was because I was trying to find the radicalrc micro stick. I had seen the kit awhile ago, but couldnt remember who made it. The reviews on the micro stick make it very appealing.

I am back and fourth on which one I would prefer. With the radicalrc micro stick, there are great reviews, and it ships in the US. Price is 27 dollars for the kit.

The hobbyking is cheaper, but Im guessing with shipping, it would cost more. I would enjoy this build because it seems not many people have given this plane a shot. I am worried about the customer service from hobbywing. From the reviews I have read on their website, it seems that a lot of people recieve their ARFs missing servos and other parts. Ive also seen other RFTs, and PNFs on their website that have been missing their motor. The most troubling part of that for me is that the comment where that happened, they are asking what motor they can get that is comparable.

I have looked at the Ugl-e-stick scratchbuild, but I am terrible at cutting out fuses with the notches to light everything up. Every attempt ive made hasnt worked out, and typically never fits together. I did refer to the build thread for some help on my stick.

I remember when putting a 480 on a MUS, we had to put a chunk of lead on the tail to get it to balance out. How much is needed for a power 10?
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:08 PM
Snappy Title On Backorder....
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Jun 2011
1,058 Posts
Never needed any lead to balance with a 480 and only 1/2oz for the 10.
tsymonds is offline Find More Posts by tsymonds
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:12 PM
Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
1,916 Posts
What are you using for a battery?
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:52 PM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
I'm a little bit confused abouth which plane that is being discussed here?
If it is the HK Mini Stick mentioned in the first tread, I have two and love them
One is the ARF which I fly with a 2cell 450mAh on the included 4x2.5 propeller. Had to do some small mods to get the 450 in, but the weight is really needed to get a fly able CG without adding to much weight.
Quite fast despite the minuscule motor/propeller combo, and it is a blast to fly, capable of most basic aerobatics.

The other one is a Kit version, and I'm still considering what motor to use on that one. The only thing that is sure is that the motor will be placed in front of the firewall to easier achieve the correct CG and have better room for the battery. Will probably go for something in the 15 to 25g range spinning a 5x3 - I do have a good selection to choose from, at the moment a NTM EasyMatch Park250 looks to be the one...

For some strange reason I have fallen in love with both Slow Sticks and "Ugly" Sticks lately and my count is now up to 6:
2 x Hobby King Mini Stick
GWS SlowStick, currently flying with V-tail and aileron-modded original wing
MilleniumRC SlowStickX, built with straight wing, tricycle landing gear.
Stevens Aero SportStick
HobbyKing Big Stick, built from their kit:

Love them all, and still considering some larger sticks, guess I'll get a E-flite Ultra Stick soon
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE