HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2013, 11:53 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
764 Posts
I try to build my projects by the motto "if it's on the 1:1 boat, it needs to be on the model". But man, Dave took that to a whole new level. Thanks for taking the time to post all these pics! Too bad about the salt water, that is a tough environment for models, and everything else it touches.

Bob
xx29l9 is online now Find More Posts by xx29l9
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2013, 02:33 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xx29l9 View Post
I try to build my projects by the motto "if it's on the 1:1 boat, it needs to be on the model".
I have the same motto but lack the ambition to actually make it happen!
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old May 23, 2013, 03:02 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,614 Posts
And not easy to try to follow through when the bar is raised This high !
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old May 23, 2013, 11:22 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,069 Posts
The detail is astounding. Awestruck I am.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old May 24, 2013, 07:38 AM
Maryland
Joined Dec 2002
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_nj View Post
I believe Dave's son Ken (who posted in #81) will eventually be bringing the boats to his house. He will probably need to remove the motor's, batteries etc from the Nixe.
Yes indeed, I'm in the process of building display cases for all of my father's models and will be bringing them to my house in Woodbine, MD and repairing any damage that's within my abilities. He did teach me a lot about how he finished these models and what materials he used, and I will do the very best I can to fix and preserve them.

One of the biggest challenges I face is figuring out how to remove the structures covering the electronics. I need to at least be sure I assess the condition of all the batteries - it would be a tragedy to allow a leaky or otherwise damaged battery to destroy the model.

Cheers,
Ken K
kenkamm is offline Find More Posts by kenkamm
Old May 24, 2013, 09:10 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkamm View Post
Yes indeed, I'm in the process of building display cases for all of my father's models and will be bringing them to my house in Woodbine, MD and repairing any damage that's within my abilities. He did teach me a lot about how he finished these models and what materials he used, and I will do the very best I can to fix and preserve them.
Cheers,
Ken K
Bravo !
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old May 24, 2013, 09:30 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkamm View Post
I need to at least be sure I assess the condition of all the batteries - it would be a tragedy to allow a leaky or otherwise damaged battery to destroy the model.
Very true- I would be inclined to remove all of the batteries while these boats are stored/displayed.
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old May 25, 2013, 11:17 AM
Joined Mar 2013
78 Posts
Wow! this stuff really blows my mind. What a truly talented man. It's so sad that such talented people ( Dave, you, we ) are eventually taken away. However it does make me happy that Dave has passed some of his talent to others.
asbruno is offline Find More Posts by asbruno