Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 11, 2011, 04:08 PM
SW Fla.
Joined Dec 2010
34 Posts
Discussion
Propel W6625 Battery replacement

OK..got this for Xmas and have many,many flights but the battery is finally going..probably due to my lack of lipo charging knowledge at the beginning. I will say I have flown it over 75 flights or so and I am not complaining.
I would love to replace the battery so I can keep playing with it.Its a great little heli to hover with ...I have a mSR for speed...LOL
In looking at the placement, it appears that a longer battery will fit as there is room behind the original battery. I am thinking a battery from my mSR might fit if I can get a terminal.Going to head to the LHS on Monday looking for a terminal.
I will post pics of the replacement if it works and give a report of how well it works. I don't know how many people would even bother with it but the little heli is so well made and durable, I just can't throw it away
Tom
Nimble1 is offline Find More Posts by Nimble1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2011, 06:33 PM
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Dec 2006
453 Posts
It looks like the same type of lipo that the S107 uses (150mah). I just bought 3 of them on ebay for around $2 each. Here's the link:

3.7v 150mah lipo battery - ebay

The only thing is they took a couple weeks to get here because they are coming from china. Mine just arrived in good condition but I haven't tested them yet.
overedline is offline Find More Posts by overedline
Old Feb 12, 2011, 02:49 AM
Magnolia, MA.
Joined Dec 2010
219 Posts
Yes...I replaced my battery on my Propel Gyrocopter. As Overedline mentioned, it uses a 150mAh battery (same as the Syma S107) I bought 6 batteries from ebay via China for like $13.00 delivered. I did take about 14 days to make it to my home. Works like a charm now.
UMASS is offline Find More Posts by UMASS
Old Feb 12, 2011, 09:44 AM
SW Fla.
Joined Dec 2010
34 Posts
No TX charging

Yes..I realize that the battery can be replaced with an original type but one of my goals is to get away from the TX charging. If you look at the heli, you can see that there is what appears to be the perfect slot for an Eflite size battery to slide into and its no probelm to remove the canopy the pull the battery for charging on my Eflite charger.
I'll let you know how it works out.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:05 AM
Magnolia, MA.
Joined Dec 2010
219 Posts
Nimble: I don't use the TX for charging, I bought this here:

http://www.propelrctoys.net/toystore...products_id=40

BTW...You can score this @ half price if you buy 2 Propel Gyrocopters. 1st unit is priced @ $49.99, the 2nd @ half price @ $24.99. Then you can score the AC adaptor for $5.99. Here is the link:

http://www.propelrctoys.net/toystore...products_id=33

I bought another 2 units. Yes...It's a tad expensive vs. a Syma S107 & others. Shipping was appx. $10.00. But the Propel Gyrocopter is the BEST 3.5CH heli on the market today. Faster & more precise then any 6010/S107 etc. IMHO. I wonder what company in fact makes the Propel Gyrocopter. Plus @ least you get a 90 days warranty. All said & done it cost me like $95.00 (including S/H) for 2 Gyrocopters, AC adaptor & 2 Rapair kits.

Yes...Let us know how it works out. I just did a soldering job & replaced the battery.
Last edited by UMASS; Feb 12, 2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:25 AM
SW Fla.
Joined Dec 2010
34 Posts
Wow...don't need anymore helis...LOL but I do have to agree with you on the Propel heli..It is tough and I do love flying it. I too would love to know who makes it...
It makes flying my mSR a little harder to fly after playing with it. I have a DX6i for it and is really pretty complcated compared to the Propel.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:02 PM
Magnolia, MA.
Joined Dec 2010
219 Posts
Nimble: I own an MSR as well. Still in the box. I'm still practicing on the mCX2/mCX S300 co-axes. 4CH is a tad harder then the 3CH, but after a week most people are off & running.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:09 PM
Joined Mar 2011
4 Posts
This is a godsend! I'm new here, has anyone tried to replace it with a battery with more capacity for longer flight time?
Thanks.
hollyb is offline Find More Posts by hollyb
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:03 AM
SW Fla.
Joined Dec 2010
34 Posts
Still Flying?

Just took the Propel W6625 for a spin, the first in a long time. The battery change I made was pretty easy..solder a micro connecter to the battery leads and attach a Thunder Power 160. The E-flite batteries just didn't have the punch to fly it very well or very long. The TP's work well.
Just ordered a mCX2 that will bind to my DX6i so will probably put the Propel on the back shelf, but its still a tough little heli and my first so I will keep it.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:16 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1 Posts
Hi Nimble - would you be able to post a couple pics of the micro connector and how you wired it up with the thunder battery?

many thanks
luxcky is offline Find More Posts by luxcky
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:14 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8 Posts
Hello guys,

Sorry for bringing up this post...

Just got a Propel Gyropter and I am looking for a USB or wall charger because it is a pain having to use the remote batteries to charge the helicopter...

Would one like this work ?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=170626195405

I have read they have the same battery...

Thanks for your help !
PICODON is offline Find More Posts by PICODON
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:47 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8 Posts
If anybody can help I'd really appreciate it
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:35 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,330 Posts
@Picodon, Sorry that you have not received the help you were looking for. I don't have a Propel Gyropter. Otherwise, I would definitely help you out. But I could offer you some general considerations, and you might be able to take it from there.

The USB cable that you linked is the charging cable for S107, which I have. You're right, it is much better than using your remote batteries to do the charging. The Lipo battery in the helicopters are either the same or very similar. But that is not the issue.

There are two issues to consider: (1) The shape of the connector, and (2) the polarity of the current. I couldn't find a picture of the Proper Gyropter that shows me the charging plug. If you could show me a detail picture of it, I could tell you whether it is compatible with the S107 cable or not. Secondly, even if the plug fits, you have to verify the polarity of the contacts. If you have them reversed, you could permanently damage the Lipo and/or the helicopter.

So, first thing first, show us a picture of the charging hole and we can determine if it fits or not. If it fits, I think you should go ahead and get the cable. Once you have it, verify the polarity with a voltmeter. Worst come worst, cut the cable, cross the connection to reverse the polarity, and you'd have a much improved charging system.

EDIT: I did more looking and found that the original Propel charging cable has a round plug. The S107 won't fit directly. Unless you want to splice in the plug, don't get that cable. There might be some other cable that fits better.

EDIT: Okay, with the round plug you have there, I THINK this USB cable has a much better chance of success. It has a round plug, designed for micro RC helicopter. However, I am unable to verify if it will fit, or if the polarity matches. Are you willing for place a small bet on ordering one and see?
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Last edited by Heli Pad; Nov 16, 2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:19 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8 Posts
Thanks a lot for your answer !
All you said sounds very clear, even for a newcomer like me

I have indeed seen that the shapes of the connectors on a S107 and a Propel Gyropter are different. The one you linked looks really similar to the connector shape on my heli.

I'll take a picture and upload it very quickly.

Thanks a lot for your link anyway !
Last edited by PICODON; Nov 17, 2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:26 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8 Posts
Here are the pics :