HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2014, 03:57 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Dec 2007
172 Posts
Discussion
Sterling Plan Build Off idea?

Has anyone thought a Sterling Plan build off? It might be kind of fun and interesting to pick just one series of the convertible kit series, i.e. the A, E or K series. They would have to be built RC with at least two functions and could use E or glow power.

Any thoughts?

Joe
ripplewave is online now Find More Posts by ripplewave
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2014, 01:40 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,070 Posts
Restricting a build off to one "brand" of plan doesn't sound like a good idea. A builder's favorite model design might not be available in one brand of plan. Most of the old Sterling, Berkeley, Flyline, and other no-longer-produced-kit plans were intended for rubber or glow power and single-channel RC, free-flight or control line. Would the the object of the fun contest is be to convert old kits or plans to multi-channel electric powered RC, and successfully fly them by a set deadline, and have forum members vote on their favorites? Would there be any exclusions of brands that are currently in production, enlarging plans, modifying dimensions of tail feathers? The object of the contest and reasonable rules need to be agreed upon.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Oct 18, 2014, 02:57 PM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,399 Posts
If one of those kits floats your boat why not enter it in scale build off 4?
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:36 PM
Joined Dec 2007
172 Posts
Thanks E-Challenged for responding!

Maybe it's just me in my desire to rekindle that time of building my first kits. For some reason the sterling kits were some of my favorites. I was wondering what kind of interest there would be in building the old birds with new equipment and hopefully achieve better performance. (Especially those convertible kits that promised to be able to fly with everything from rubber to small RC) I know there are modelers much more skilled than I at accomplishing that feat.

The free 'flighters' often have contests that exclude all but one series or brand of models, but it may be good to include the defunct Berkeley, Scientific and Comet kits. As far as currently produced kits, there seems to a fair abundance of modelers already converting them, (Guillows to name one) but the long out-of-business brands don't seem to have as much of a following these days. It would be nice to resurrect some interest in them.

As far as enlarging the plans or modifying the dimensions? I would think keeping the dimensions adds to the challenge, except for maybe tail feathers. (Some things just don't fly that well without improved tail surface areas.)

Finally, yes, have them built and flown by a deadline and have members vote.

Thoughts?
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:37 PM
Joined Dec 2007
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
If one of those kits floats your boat why not enter it in scale build off 4?
Hey Kiwi,

I could do that, for certain, but I am wanting to stir up an interest in out of production stuff, including Sterling.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 04:40 PM
Buyer rating is really 4
Joined Feb 2013
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripplewave View Post
Thanks E-Challenged for responding!

Maybe it's just me in my desire to rekindle that time of building my first kits. For some reason the sterling kits were some of my favorites. I was wondering what kind of interest there would be in building the old birds with new equipment and hopefully achieve better performance. (Especially those convertible kits that promised to be able to fly with everything from rubber to small RC) I know there are modelers much more skilled than I at accomplishing that feat.

The free 'flighters' often have contests that exclude all but one series or brand of models, but it may be good to include the defunct Berkeley, Scientific and Comet kits. As far as currently produced kits, there seems to a fair abundance of modelers already converting them, (Guillows to name one) but the long out-of-business brands don't seem to have as much of a following these days. It would be nice to resurrect some interest in them.

As far as enlarging the plans or modifying the dimensions? I would think keeping the dimensions adds to the challenge, except for maybe tail feathers. (Some things just don't fly that well without improved tail surface areas.)

Finally, yes, have them built and flown by a deadline and have members vote.

Thoughts?
Great idea I've had on my mind forever. Gotta include the Comet kits. Just built 2 recently that turned out well and fly well. Like anything else, with enough effort you can get a good result, but they honestly were horrible kits. Given that one has to pad half the formers/notches and reconstruct the wing to scrap the awful looking X-construction, they're darn near a scratch build. They would be perfect for a competitive build-off. Got 3 Sterling kits sitting right behind the Cherokee below, waiting to be built and one coming in the mail as of today.
AntiArf is offline Find More Posts by AntiArf
Old Oct 20, 2014, 05:55 PM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,308 Posts
I have the kit for the AT-6 Texan listed as kit A-9.

George
GeorgeG97322 is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Old Oct 20, 2014, 06:01 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,828 Posts
I'm game! Converted a few of them already. Why? Because it was a challenge!
Consider it revenge for all the ones I built as a kid that flew about 10 feet before re-kitting themselves....
Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:18 PM
Joined Dec 2007
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post
I'm game! Converted a few of them already. Why? Because it was a challenge!
Consider it revenge for all the ones I built as a kid that flew about 10 feet before re-kitting themselves....
Glenn
Haha! I concur Glenn. I could get them to fly 10 ft if I threw them really hard.

So, here is a list of some rule ideas:

1. The defunct kit mfg that can be submitted are Comet, Berkeley, Sterling, and
Scientific.
2. The project can be built from plans or kits.
3. The plan outlines and dimensions must be followed.
-except where a larger tail surface would be required
- wing and/or horizontal stabilizer incidents need to be changed
- wingspan and fuselage length and moments can not be changed.
4. It is ok to change some of the construction techniques to improve weight and
strength. Bows for wingtips and empennage are ok.
5. It must fly via RC. Any number of channels is ok.
6. Proof that it flies by photo or video
7 Submission dead _______________
8 Final Date for completed models _______________

Anything else you guys can think of would be awesome. For me it's about sticking as close to the plans as possible, just to see if I can do it.

Joe
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:19 PM
Joined Dec 2007
172 Posts
Anti-Arf and Glenn, those are some very nice examples!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:54 AM
Power Upward
Joined Jun 2007
1,308 Posts
Joe,

If the model can be plans built, can the plans be scaled up or down?

George
Old Oct 21, 2014, 02:08 PM
Joined Dec 2007
172 Posts
Hey George,

The key challenge of this contest would be to use the designed dimensions and make a flyable model. So dimensions should remain except for maybe enlarged tail surfaces. Even then I think most of the kit designers enlarged them originally.

Joe
Old Oct 21, 2014, 02:22 PM
Power Upward
Joined Jun 2007
1,308 Posts
Joe,

Just had to check you know... I believe your right about the designers already drawing enlarged tail surface for the most part...

George
Old Oct 21, 2014, 04:11 PM
Buyer rating is really 4
Joined Feb 2013
113 Posts
I've never had to enlarge any tailplanes with of a number of old kit designs for them to fly well. I believe a number of them are enlarged a bit, while most of the issues people have reported are probably due to improperly set CG. With some of the micro under 2' span jobs it may be a bit of an issue.
AntiArf is offline Find More Posts by AntiArf
Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM
Joined Dec 2007
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiArf View Post
I've never had to enlarge any tailplanes with of a number of old kit designs for them to fly well. I believe a number of them are enlarged a bit, while most of the issues people have reported are probably due to improperly set CG. With some of the micro under 2' span jobs it may be a bit of an issue.
Yes, most designers took tailplane size into account. I think that most of the kits we are discussing, were designed fairly well. It just seemed the balsa wood came from oak trees. I have heard that they had to use harder balsa for die cutting.

Can anyone think of any other pertinent rules? And does anyone have a suggested start date? (I am thinking dead of winter, say like December or January)