Old May 15, 2014, 02:21 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,292 Posts
Mini-Review
The JXD 395 Nano quad review thread

The JXD395 Micro quad review

Introduction

After a product becomes popular on the R/C market, clones soon follow. With the introduction of the Proto X, a surge of clones has been making the rounds- from WLToys to JXD and UDi; everyone seems to have their own version of the Proto X these days.
Despite sharing similar external dimensions (oh, and that horrible transmitter), that’s pretty much where the similarities end with these clones; today we have the JXD 395 “air bus” micro, JXD’s answer to the Proto X.

Before we begin, I would like to thank HobbyWoW.com for providing the review sample; this is my second review of 2 with the company. Their support of my unbiased reviews is much appreciated.

From the box

Very little JXD branding is on the box for some reason.

The JXD395 comes in a tiny box about the same size and dimensions as that found on the Proto X; all parts were well protected and nothing was damaged when the JXD395 arrived.

Box contents include:
•1 * JXD 395 RC Quadcopter
•1 * 2.4GHz radio
•1 * 3.7V Lithium battery (Installed)
•1 * USB Charging cable
•1 * Manual
•1 * Spare blade set

Pretty standard for something of its size and class I must say.

The transmitter

Included in the package is a transmitter that is almost an exact clone of the Proto X transmitter; it features tri-rates, a flip/roll function and aileron/elevator trims. The transmitter range is quoted to be around 20 meters or so.
I’ve found that the sticks, although being rather stiff, could be used to control the JXD395 in an extremely precise manner.

3 rates could be selected by clicking the throttle stick: low, medium and high. The transmitter will emit single, double or triple beeps to signify which rates the quadcopter is in.

Flip and rolls could be activated by clicking the right stick, the transmitter will beep rapidly but will not flip until an aileron or elevator input is given; the quad will then flip then resume normal flight.
The protocol is not compatible with anything else on the market currently, although it should be Nordic compatible (BK chip). I’ve convinced HiSKY to look into making the JXD395 into something that’s compatible with the HiSKY protocol, so we could use a hobby grade transmitter with the quad.

The walk around

Despite having a cloned transmitter, the JXD395 itself is somewhat of an “original” design; a tiny 100mAh 3.7V battery provides around 3-4 minutes of flight time (and takes around half an hour to charge). At a mere 15 grams, the four 6mm coreless motors provide an extremely high power-to-weight ratio, making the quadcopter extremely zippy.
A charging jack is located aft of the canopy, the battery is not designed to be removable on a flight-to-flight basis so charging the battery is done via the plug on the quad. A switch is located beneath said plug which turns the quad on and off.
The cute “air bus” canopy of the JXD395 is available in both green and yellow, I am lucky enough to own both! I find that once the LEDs are on, it doesn’t matter what color the canopies are- the lights are so bright that orientation is not really an issue at all. Blue lights are located in front, red behind and white in the middle of the quad- they are extremely easy to see even from afar.

Flight characteristics

After I charged up the quad, I turned it on and then turned on the transmitter; a few seconds later the lights went from flashing to solid… we’re ready to go.

Under low rates, I was able to perform surprisingly precision flight maneuvers even though the gimbals were quite stiff. The JXD395 is extremely stable under low rates and there is very minimal drift in any direction throughout the flight. I think I’m going to start teaching absolute beginners on the JXD395 since it’s so incredibly stable and responsive at the same time.

Medium rates and high rates are where this quad absolutely shines; I am extremely impressed!
Banked turns and very fast forward flights can be achieved quite easily, and no matter how hard I pushed the JXD395, I never needed to once re-calibrate the accelerometers or anything- the flight performance remained predictable and consistent throughout the flight.

The yaw rate on the JXD395 is about average for quads of its size, I’d say it might be just a bit faster than that of the Proto X… but it is perfectly acceptable for something of its size.
Flips and rolls are extremely composed on the JXD395, barely any altitude is lost and they happen at the blink of an eye. Sudden throttle inputs do not sway the quad in any visible way… the engineers who did the programming on this quad really knows what they are doing.
JXD395 (2 min 9 sec)
Compared to the Proto X, the WLToys V272, the UDi U839 etc, I liked the JXD395 the most; if only the protocol was not proprietary, it would be perfect!

Conclusion

The JXD395 is surprisingly good as far as a micro quadcopter is concerned; the programming is very “grown up” and the flight characteristics is almost impeccable. The tiny cloned transmitter and the proprietary protocol are really letdowns to what is an amazing product; that said, the 395 is intended to be a toy more than anything, so I guess they just went with a board maker that had the best performance and lowest cost.

It doesn’t matter if you’re a beginner or an expert, if you want something that performs nicely but is nice, cheap and robust, then I would definitely recommend the JXD395 for you.

That’s pretty much it! I hope you’ve enjoyed my review; if you’ve any questions or comments, please don’t hesitate to leave a line here in this thread.

If you would like to pick one of these awesome quads up, please visit HobbyWoW’s link

Pros and Cons

Pros
+ Excellent performance
+ Extremely robust
+ Bright LEDs, easy to orientate
+ Cheap!

Cons
- Proprietary protocol
- Tiny transmitter
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jameschen072; May 15, 2014 at 03:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2014, 02:43 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,292 Posts
Reserved for video/FAQ (If necessary)
JXD395 (2 min 9 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jameschen072; May 15, 2014 at 03:14 AM.
Old May 15, 2014, 02:57 AM
France, PACA, La Valette-du-Var
Joined Dec 2012
4,863 Posts
Nice review as usual

Thanks for the size comparaison ... can't wait your UDi U839 review.
On point, this JXD 395 is not from JD compagny but from JXDtoys if I am not wrong ...
SeByDocKy is online now Find More Posts by SeByDocKy
Last edited by SeByDocKy; May 15, 2014 at 03:14 AM.
Old May 15, 2014, 03:14 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy View Post
Nice review as usual

Thanks for the size comparaison ... can't wait your UDi U839 review.
On point, this JXD 395 is not from JD compagny but from JXDtoys if I am not wrong ...

Can you scale this quad ? w/ and w/o the LiPo ? can you measure size of motor and blades ?
Thank you sir! I'll upload the U839 review soon, just finished uploading the video for the JXD. Gonna take a break after these 5 reviews are done!

Here are the numbers that you want:

12.42grams with battery (but it's soldered, so I couldn't weigh it without.

6mm*12mm motors

30mm diameter props

:P
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2014, 03:20 AM
Joined Dec 2012
4,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
Thank you sir! I'll upload the U839 review soon, just finished uploading the video for the JXD. Gonna take a break after these 5 reviews are done!

Here are the numbers that you want:

12.42grams with battery (but it's soldered, so I couldn't weigh it without.

6mm*12mm motors

30mm diameter props

:P

Thanks my friend

close to 1g lighter than the V272 .... One more point
Can you read /make a close up photo of the 3 main chips, especially the RF one
I guess it's a BK2423 ... but not sure

EDIT.. I think a lot of people will be confused with this "JXD 395" .. thinking it's a new model of the JD compagny but this one is from "JXDtoys". As piece of evidence, the protocol used is not a "V2x2" as JD is normally using...
Old May 15, 2014, 03:39 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,292 Posts
Quote:
Thanks my friend

close to 1g lighter than the V272 .... One more point
Can you read /make a close up photo of the 3 main chips, especially the RF one
I guess it's a BK2423 ... but not sure

EDIT.. I think a lot of people will be confused with this "JXD 395" .. thinking it's a new model of the JD compagny but this one is from "JXDtoys". As piece of evidence, the protocol used is not a "V2x2" as JD is normally using...
This product is from the same company that makes the JXD385/388/392... I'm not sure what you're confused about? JXD doesn't always use the V2X2 protocol, they found a cheaper supplier on the board so went with that protocol...

BK2423 indeed.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2014, 03:43 AM
Joined Dec 2012
4,863 Posts
Quote:
This product is from the same company that makes the JXD385/388/392... what are you confused about? JXD doesn't always use the V2X2 protocol, they found a cheaper supplier on the board so went with that protocol...

BK2423 indeed.
Ok I read somewhere it was "JXDtoys" compagny ... and I don't recognize the classic JD logo ... So this is why I am wondering if it's the same compagny
Old May 15, 2014, 03:48 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,292 Posts
Quote:
Ok I read somewhere it was "JXDtoys" compagny ... and I don't recognize the classic JD logo ... So this is why I am wondering if it's the same compagny
Do you mean this logo? We call it JXD because the company is called Jin Xing Da, where "Xing" means star, hence there is a start like design in the "JD" logo.

Same company indeed.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2014, 03:55 AM
Joined Dec 2012
4,863 Posts
Quote:
Do you mean this logo? We call it JXD because the company is called Jin Xing Da, where "Xing" means star, hence there is a start like design in the "JD" logo.

Same company indeed.
Ok I am convinced now ... it's a JD JXD 395 .... sorry for confusion, but in some other retaillers, a lot of bad information are propagated....
Old May 15, 2014, 06:39 AM
Joined Dec 2012
4,863 Posts
On con point maybe is you can't swap easely the LiPo... So the quad is grounded the time to charge the LiPo
Old May 15, 2014, 08:49 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,292 Posts
Quote:
On con point maybe is you can't swap easely the LiPo... So the quad is grounded the time to charge the LiPo
I did think about including that point, but then again, all other quads of its size have batteries that are taped to the frame... so they aren't easily removable either even with the plugs. The one stop solution is perhaps the UDi U839 solution, which is elegant and simple..but very effective. If only it flew as well as this quad!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2014, 11:13 AM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,616 Posts
Quote:
I did think about including that point, but then again, all other quads of its size have batteries that are taped to the frame... so they aren't easily removable either even with the plugs. The one stop solution is perhaps the UDi U839 solution, which is elegant and simple..but very effective. If only it flew as well as this quad!
OK, you convinced me to order one
My Proto X has a small square of double side tape holding it down but very easy to lift off the board with the battery connector.
V272 is not taped to the Frame at all.
I would much rather have a Plug making battery swapping quick and easy.
That will be my first mod to add a connector.
jtravel is online now Find More Posts by jtravel
Last edited by jtravel; May 15, 2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old May 15, 2014, 01:44 PM
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Nov 2008
85 Posts
So just to confirm does this have the 6 axis gyro? And does it mean that letting go of the stick (for forward, back, sliding left and right) will cause it to stop or auto brake?

I'm wondering because I recently bought the Ladybird FPV as my first quadcopter after flying a V911 for a long time, and still have a hard time getting used to the thing continuing to fly in a certain direction even after releasing the right stick (mode 2). That itself caused many crashes especially when using the rudder simultaneously and soon I'd be going very fast and would crash into a wall.

But anyway, I'm looking for something easier for my 10 year old son.
chorobe is offline Find More Posts by chorobe
Old May 15, 2014, 02:28 PM
Joined Jan 2014
256 Posts
There's no auto brake in 6-axis quads, but they will level themselves and slide in the air. Some quads like V272 seem to overreact and almost stop *occasionally*, but usually not when you want it to, so you cannot rely on it. Accelerometers do not know the speed, only velocity, or changes in the speed.

Ladybird V2 uses only 3-axis gyro, so compared to that almost all the new quads are easy to fly.

For a kid I would buy something that is a bit larger than nano as those seem to be easier to fly and repair. Also blade cover is a big plus as it allows to bouncing from the walls and ceiling without causing major damage to the quad AND it makes the quad more stable. Usually it can also be removed when it's not needed.

Personally I've bought Sky Walker (HM-1306) for my son and I find it fairly stable and well protected. It even flies outdoors, if it's calm. For me it's too slow even in the fast mode but for my son it's easier to fly. And you can climb on the walls and cruise in the floor or ceiling if you want to. There are also a few other options...
mahagr is offline Find More Posts by mahagr