HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:12 AM
Australia, VIC, Croydon
Joined Nov 2006
59 Posts
Build Log
A Pig of a build

Hi Guys,

Thought I would post something up since I have been breathing balsa dust for the last couple of weeks.

Started this after seeing a few threads on here and thinking 'Hmm, I have some F-111 plans somewhere.....'

This is a 1/20ish PSS built from the Phil Cooke plans that appeared in Radio Modeller magazine many years ago.

It will be a build that will go on for a while thanks to work, family and finance, but so far has been moving pretty well.

One hurdle I have though is with the foam wing cores that I had cut. I have not had much experience working with foam wings and I have never skinned any with balsa before. Any one out there give me any tips on the best way to go about skinning the wings, best glue to use, etc.

Open to any and all suggestions. It has been a while since I have built a plane and even longer since I have built one from plans.

Will be posting updates as they happen.

Thanks for watching.
Jindivik is offline Find More Posts by Jindivik
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:00 AM
RA-TA-MA-HAT-TA
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined Feb 2010
3,276 Posts
Looks really good. This helped me when i needed to balsa sheet a pair of wings.

http://www.mackrc.net/patternwings2/index.htm
munce31 is offline Find More Posts by munce31
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:22 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jindivik View Post
Hi Guys,

Thought I would post something up since I have been breathing balsa dust for the last couple of weeks.

Started this after seeing a few threads on here and thinking 'Hmm, I have some F-111 plans somewhere.....'

This is a 1/20ish PSS built from the Phil Cooke plans that appeared in Radio Modeller magazine many years ago.

It will be a build that will go on for a while thanks to work, family and finance, but so far has been moving pretty well.

One hurdle I have though is with the foam wing cores that I had cut. I have not had much experience working with foam wings and I have never skinned any with balsa before. Any one out there give me any tips on the best way to go about skinning the wings, best glue to use, etc.

Open to any and all suggestions. It has been a while since I have built a plane and even longer since I have built one from plans.

Will be posting updates as they happen.

Thanks for watching.

Your workshop looks much too tidy for my liking!! Where are all the balsa shavings and dust? Nice work on the 111 too...

BIW.
BuildItWright is offline Find More Posts by BuildItWright
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:26 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2010
518 Posts
Glue to use - Selleys Kwik Grip Advanced contact adhesive.

I've had some great results in skinning foam cores with Selleys Kwik Grip Advanced contact adhesive. Its water based so wont attack the foam. Paint it on both surfaces and let it dry until it becomes clear, (the sheet balsa will bow because of the water content of the glue but thats not a problem and can actually help in lining up during the skinning process. Then bring both parts together carefully. Be warned, you have to line things up properly first time because you wont get a second chance. The resulting bond is excellent. Its available from Bunnings but generally I've found their stock levels are always low. Good luck.
Biggles1 is offline Find More Posts by Biggles1
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2012, 02:29 PM
Hundredaire
Newcastle Australia
Joined Oct 2008
1,525 Posts
I've used Sika brand PU glue with great results
Available from bunnings
mams1 is online now Find More Posts by mams1
Old Feb 13, 2012, 02:53 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,890 Posts
What are you going to power it with? I have a 65mm e-flite delta V480 EDF you can have, should help out with the finance issue if you want it?
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Feb 13, 2012, 02:59 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
What are you going to power it with? I have a 65mm e-flite delta V480 EDF you can have, should help out with the finance issue if you want it?
Its a PSS'er Power Scale Soarer,eg a slope glider
PM Salibug for all the info on the Pig
http://www.pssaonline.co.uk/gallery-...Collection.htm
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Feb 13, 2012, 04:05 PM
ooooh yeah
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,597 Posts
Wow looks great I have that exact same plane somewhere and thought about converting it to edf but I went with the 50mm plans from the Japanese guy instead.
Frenche is online now Find More Posts by Frenche
Old Feb 13, 2012, 04:12 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,890 Posts
Haha no worries
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:10 PM
Australia, VIC, Croydon
Joined Nov 2006
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by munce31 View Post
Looks really good. This helped me when i needed to balsa sheet a pair of wings.

http://www.mackrc.net/patternwings2/index.htm
Thanks for the link munce, that is pretty helpful. Explains a lot of info that I was missing.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:12 PM
Australia, VIC, Croydon
Joined Nov 2006
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildItWright View Post
Your workshop looks much too tidy for my liking!! Where are all the balsa shavings and dust? Nice work on the 111 too...

BIW.
What the photo doesnt show is the fine layer of balsa dust over and in everything in my two car garage. Shavings are at a minimum though, I went the masochist way and sanded everything.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:14 PM
Australia, VIC, Croydon
Joined Nov 2006
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles1 View Post
I've had some great results in skinning foam cores with Selleys Kwik Grip Advanced contact adhesive. Its water based so wont attack the foam. Paint it on both surfaces and let it dry until it becomes clear, (the sheet balsa will bow because of the water content of the glue but thats not a problem and can actually help in lining up during the skinning process. Then bring both parts together carefully. Be warned, you have to line things up properly first time because you wont get a second chance. The resulting bond is excellent. Its available from Bunnings but generally I've found their stock levels are always low. Good luck.
Thanks Biggles, not sure I want to try contact adhesive for my first try though, want an escape route if the need arises.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:20 PM
Australia, VIC, Croydon
Joined Nov 2006
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1 View Post
I've used Sika brand PU glue with great results
Available from bunnings
I have a bottle of Sika, looks like that will be the way to go. Thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:24 PM
Australia, VIC, Croydon
Joined Nov 2006
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Wow, that is an amazing offer, thank you very much, but as Steve said, this is going to be a glider. The finance thing is more related to buying any wood and hardware as well as a decent radio (the old Sanwa set is showing its age).

Thanks you for an amazing offer though.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:26 PM
Australia, VIC, Croydon
Joined Nov 2006
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenche View Post
Wow looks great I have that exact same plane somewhere and thought about converting it to edf but I went with the 50mm plans from the Japanese guy instead.
Yeah, I got those 50mm plans too, but wanted something a little more basic to ease back into building. One day I might make a powered version, but gliding has always been a bit of a perversion with me. :