Old Sep 02, 2013, 11:48 AM
Quest for Speed!!!
Fremont,CA
Joined Aug 2005
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
at 60 amps you should be fine ,just work up to it so you can be sure to not LVC
2w-18 on a balanced wemo..on a jet this small making close to 1000 watts is scary to do WOT testing in house...esp with ur ducting and i did use my home made smoothing the intake fabs....its kinda heavy now without battery with all my fiberglassing and carbon inlay work throughout the plane...spend more time getting this jet ready than the Habu 32 lol..so u guys recommend leaving cheater holes open??
Mike_eee is offline Find More Posts by Mike_eee
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2013, 11:57 AM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waytooslow View Post
Thanks - I assume I will need to create a "spacer" for 64mm use in latest P3/EF16.
Yep..........just follow Don's build log and photos. here is the spacer:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=4999449
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Sep 04, 2013, 08:56 AM
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Feb 2011
254 Posts
Hey did you guys know you can heat that funky paper covering that comes with the f-16. I did the number one boo boo Monday. It was a little breezy and i left my f-16 sitting on a bench and walked away. 5 min later plane is on the ground. It landed on one ailevon and folded it about 30 degrees and smashed a corner. Got home and took a covering iron to it and i was amazed the crease shrank and was gone. It is as good as new. I had no idea you could do that to that stuff.
parpar1 is offline Find More Posts by parpar1
Last edited by parpar1; Sep 07, 2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2013, 06:40 PM
Crash 'em if you got 'em
United States, TX, Euless
Joined May 2013
611 Posts
Guess I need to go another route - can't get the motor I need, waited till the 60 amp ESC became available - now no motors. arghhhh. sitting here looking at a empty EF16
Quote:
Originally Posted by shhhhh! View Post
Yep..........just follow Don's build log and photos. here is the spacer:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=4999449
waytooslow is offline Find More Posts by waytooslow
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2013, 07:32 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,639 Posts
Just get yourself a wemo minifan and 2W20 or 2W18. Even the 2W20 is plenty fast in the F16 on 4s, and mild amp draw too.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Sep 09, 2013, 07:34 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waytooslow View Post
Guess I need to go another route - can't get the motor I need, waited till the 60 amp ESC became available - now no motors. arghhhh. sitting here looking at a empty EF16
??? - which motor are you looking for? All of Don'sRC Wicked series motors are in stock. His stuff is excellent, and priced very competitively. His 5400kv in a 64mm 5 blade fan, on 3s, is positively spectacular in the EF-16. One guy in here posted a vid of his with this setup, and says it's good for 110mph.

Oughta do it.....right?

P.s. - saw you want 3s / 4s capable; use either the 4000kv Or 4400kv Wicked Plus motors for that.
PikeStaff is offline Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Sep 09, 2013, 07:42 PM
Crash 'em if you got 'em
United States, TX, Euless
Joined May 2013
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff View Post
??? - which motor are you looking for? All of Don'sRC Wicked series motors are in stock. His stuff is excellent, and priced very competitively. His 5400kv in a 64mm 5 blade fan, on 3s, is positively spectacular in the EF-16. One guy in here posted a vid of his with this setup, and says it's good for 110mph.

Oughta do it.....right?

P.s. - saw you want 3s / 4s capable; use either the 4000kv Or 4400kv Wicked Plus motors for that.

Just got a PM -- I feel much better - Thanks Don for the updated stock Cooler head prevailed and went "B" setup...
waytooslow is offline Find More Posts by waytooslow
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by waytooslow; Sep 09, 2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2013, 08:21 PM
Quest for Speed!!!
Fremont,CA
Joined Aug 2005
1,190 Posts
whats the typical good auw for this f-16 with power level say 600-900 watts?

i kinda went overboard with my fiber glassing mods and i think i got little heavy...scared to weight it now..waiting for battery from Hyperion now.

Mike
Mike_eee is offline Find More Posts by Mike_eee
Old Sep 10, 2013, 03:06 PM
Five Guys Field Rep
United States, VA, Chesapeake
Joined Feb 2013
564 Posts
It will launch fine at 2.5 lbs even with little or no wind.
Don Quixote is offline Find More Posts by Don Quixote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 05:19 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,380 Posts
I always seem to get in on these "foamy" jet threads really late. But, I'm glad this jet is still getting current attention. A few weeks ago, a fellow club member, and his son, wanted to get into an EDF. Mostly for the son, who is a great pilot, young teen.(they have great reflexes)

I suggested the EF-16. He bought two, one for me. I went through my fan box of parts, found a new 505 and a glass shroud, I formed up a few years ago. A 2W-20 and it's a great mid-range power fan. This for the father and son's 16.45A>650W-2250/4s Mine is getting the Mini-Pro, 4W, 5s-2000, 625W @ 30A.

He is looking for higher speed/higher dynamic thrust, I am looking for lower speed/higher static. I prefer to climb at a more realistic speed. I blocked the side cheaters. I believe they are poorly placed and reduce lift. The 505 version uses no cheater, mine has the cheater added on the fuselage bottom, just in front of the fan. I'm using a cheater for two reasons, added static thrust and the sound.

I just cannot put these two jets together without some major improvement. All flying surfaces were trimmed and balsa grafted in place. Both jets are completely glassed with .5 oz and finishing resin, thinned 25% w/denatured. Very little weight was added, for the durability.

A hatch is added over the fans, for future maint. The fans are rearward enough to allow the ESC to be close to the batteries. I donot like long batt/ESC leads.

The 505 version is using the stock exhaust dia of just over 53mm. Which is just under 85%. The Mini-Pro's exhaust is 56MM @ 85%. I had to slit the stock exhaust "turkey feathers" to allow the larger size.

I'll post more, soon.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:48 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,256 Posts
Wow, that was an elaborate, but nicely done 'upgrade' set!!!
Do the sponsons need support structure outboard too? It seems you left the bush just in foam.... or...?
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:06 AM
nom
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2011
1,806 Posts
Looking great St Martin!
nom is offline Find More Posts by nom
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:00 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,380 Posts
Quote:
Do the sponsons need support structure outboard too? It seems you left the bush just in foam.... or...?
Peter, the new kits come with a 1/32" hard plastic facing. Plus a double layer around the bearing. There is also a plastic piece on the inboard side. I tested the bearing, with a piece of MW, and could not move it. They have improved the recent models, evidently. Amazingly, these mods still give a light structure. The first time I outlined the flying surfaces, in a foam model, was in the early "80's" A Midwest Chipmunk. Every so often I get away from hacking balsa dust for a foamy. And I just have to be an individualist.

Quote:
Looking great St Martin!
Thank you sir! There are a few more mods needing attention. Just too hot in the shop room today. I need to balance the elevons, but I'll do this after painting, with zinc spike weights, used for plastic worm fishing. Just push them in.

Fuzz
Last edited by St. Martin; Sep 11, 2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:09 PM
nom
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2011
1,806 Posts
Hey Fuzz (that sounds cool!), don't forget the inner bushing mod. IMHO it's one of the more important mods as it transfers some of the flexing to the fuse.
nom is offline Find More Posts by nom
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:11 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,380 Posts
Yes, that was done too. They now provide a brass bushing just for that. They must have read these threads!

Fuzz