cloled 0 0%
closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 14, 2014, 06:52 PM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
508 Posts
Black Mountain held a regatta yesterday, 54 degrees and 7 to 12 winds, was a great day for December or any month, no pics.
seabee CE is offline Find More Posts by seabee CE
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2014, 03:34 PM
United States, AZ, Maricopa
Joined Jan 2014
31 Posts
Yes, this "place" is kind of dead . . . ;-)

Great time for a Happy Holidays to All 'tho . . .

And Capt. Crash's latest adventure reminds me - if anyone is looking for a bow bumper for their Nirvana - of any vintage - the solution was posted recently on the Sail RC web site. They get their bow bumpers for the Nirvanas from Chesapeake Performance Models (www.rcyachts.com) $5.00 ea. I think they maybe are no longer going to stock the bow bumpers? They have not had them in stock for something like a year. I decided ordering was less trouble and likely a better fit than carving or casting myself. A little white Gorilla glue and I seem to be good to go.

BTW - Crash - I regularly "borrow" your pics and videos from this site and pass them along to the guys in our Club to inspire them on to bigger and better things . . . seems to work . . for the most part . . . ;-) Good stuff! Thanks.

DLC
dcrawfff is offline Find More Posts by dcrawfff
Old Dec 15, 2014, 07:52 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,564 Posts
The guys that sail with Crash don't need bow bumpers! They need fenders or tires like on tug boats!
Those that know his passing strategy understand.

Merry Christmas to all!!
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Dec 16, 2014, 08:21 PM
United States, NC, Southport
Joined Jun 2013
21 Posts
St James Plantation Model Yacht Club Jingle Bells Regatta

So we had our season ending Jingle Bells Regatta today with a new record of 22 skippers sailing. We used Odds/ Evens heats with RYG time handicaps. The wind was a shifty westerly varying between a dithering 3 knots coming from nowhere in particular to 'hat lifting' blasts from the west or south west, producing some impressive wavelets at the leeward end of our pond.
Our RO for the day produced some interesting courses with some long upwind legs in between the very fast submarining/broaching downwind legs.
We had a couple of visitors from South Carolina and I managed to get a few shots. Maybe I'll have some close ups from our RO's good camera later.
We're taking a holiday break now while another 23 boats are delivered and we organize some more 'Build, Tune and Sail' workshops for new skippers. We've cracked the excessive sail servo travel problem here and our Engineering Officer GVank knocks those out in a few minutes.
Happy Holidays to All!
peterwilding is offline Find More Posts by peterwilding
Old Dec 20, 2014, 09:10 AM
Joined Jun 2013
21 Posts
St James Plantation MYC Build, Tune and Sail Workshops

I mentioned our Build Tune and Sail workshops in my previous post without explaining them, so here goes.
We are fortunate in having a brand spanking new Community Center where St James residents can book rooms for community activities at no charge. I arrange some morning and some afternoons sessions to prevent a crush of more than we can handle. (yes, that did happen)
Several experienced members show up and we have developed a checklist that we go through for each boat.
Here’s the basic instructions that go to new skippers to advertise the workshops.

‘We recommend that you take your Nirvanas out of the box and follow the instructions to put them together. You will find that the basic fitting together is fairly simple, although getting it just right is harder.
If you bring your Nirvana, completely assembled with its mast and sails in place, to the ‘Build, Tune and Sail’ workshop, then you will have a basic familiarity with the parts and importantly, you will have worked out a way to transport your boat fully rigged, which is the best way to move it around. You may have to fold or drop seats, etc, but it’s worth it.
At the workshops, we will go over how to set up the sail travel and ensure your sheets, (the lines that adjust the sails), are correctly run. Then we’ll show you how to tune the boat for different wind conditions by adjusting the sail bend (camber) and the mast position. Lastly, we’ll launch the boats on the pond and practice sailing upwind and downwind, etc.’

You can tell that we are catering to folks who have never sailed, or even used any moving RC equipment before. Some new skippers have not been challenged by the ‘requires some assembly’ Christmas Day morning call to action since the kids were small. Moving the boat fully rigged is important so that the rigging process is avoided as usually skippers are travelling a short distance. Of course the boat does break down to hull and rig very easily if necessary, and goes back in its box for long term storage or shipping easily as well.

The check list is:
1. Check mast is vertical with shrouds, jib pivot and backstay all correctly hooked.
Show skipper how to adjust to ‘just right’ rig tension. Not too tight, not too loose.
2. Center rudder and check for firm attachment and travel. It’s important to ‘feel’ the attachment screw going onto the flat on the rudder shaft and tighten appropriately.
The clear plastic rod to rudder arm attachment may need to be removed from the rudder and adjusted by screwing to get the rudder absolutely parallel to the fin. Lever the plastic jaws apart carefully with a tiny flat screwdriver and screw it in or out. Many boats don’t need this, but it’s worth checking for racing purposes.
3. Check that fin retainer is perpendicular to the fin in its deck well. It then provides a convenient handle for lifting out of the water with a couple of fingers.
4. Check sail servo for travel and adjust arm position if necessary. The sail servo arm should travel from pointing right at the exit hole, (boom fully out), to somewhere close to or over the centerline of the boat, but not as far as the compartment wall(fully in). The arm may need to be unscrewed and lifted and turned to get this right. Again most boats don’t need this.
Instruct skipper about sheet attachment with the handy dandy new adjusters which allow infinitely fine adjustment.
When the transmitter stick is fully in then the main boom should be pointing at or just inside the stern quarter. The jib boom should be adjusted to be not quite parallel to the main boom to open the slot through which the airflow does not actually move by the way, but which allows the sails to work together. Emphasize that this is a frequent adjustment as is the jib pivot position in or out.
Lastly, add club red ribbon to masthead crane as a wind indicator.
Then we take the boats over to the pond and sail them with 'on water mentoring'.
Let me know if you think we have left anything out.
peterwilding is offline Find More Posts by peterwilding
Last edited by peterwilding; Dec 20, 2014 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Added pictures
Old Dec 20, 2014, 09:47 PM
Joined Sep 2013
61 Posts
Regatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee CE View Post
Black Mountain held a regatta yesterday, 54 degrees and 7 to 12 winds, was a great day for December or any month, no pics.
Seabee,
Do you allow visitors to sail in your regatta? If so, what is the start time, when and where? Things are a little hectic right now, but later in the spring I would like to visit and maybe bring a few friends. My Nirvana needs a change of scenery.
Merry Christmas and a Happy Nirvana New Year,
Gvank
gvank is offline Find More Posts by gvank
Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
508 Posts
gvank, anyone can sail with us, we do Nirvanas on the second Sat at Black Mountain and on the 3rd Sat at Asheville, and Seawinds on the 4th Sat at Asheville. Probably done for awhile till it warms up, but would welcome your sailing with us.
seabee CE is offline Find More Posts by seabee CE
Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwilding View Post
I mentioned our Build Tune and Sail workshops in my previous post without explaining them, so here goes...
Nice post Peter...
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash