SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 19, 2004, 01:01 PM
My other TX is a P4000.
USA, VA, Raphine
Joined Sep 2002
2,254 Posts
Multiplex EVO Spacebox - A mini review

Multiplex EVO Spacebox - A mini review

It took a while to arrive, but my new EVO Spacebox finally arrived. I had also ordered the weather shield that snaps onto the Spacebox.

The photos are self-explanatory so I will offer some points that may not appear so readily in the photos.

The Spacebox is made of plastic, but has a faux carbon-fiber pattern. From a short distance, it does, in fact, look strikingly like real carbon fiber.

The palm rests fold up and and can be pressed down into the Spacebox cavity if you want full and open access to the storage compartments. In one of the photos, one of the palm rest is open and the other is closed.

Unlike the EVO insert-style tray, the Spacebox allows the EVO to lock firmly in place. You can turn the Spacebox upside down and the EVO will not come out.

With the EVO inserted and locked into place, access to the charging/pupil jack on the back is easily made.

Access to the side widgets is easy; there are wells along the side that allow for this.

The EVO Spacebox (unlike the Profi Spacebox) can be easily folded down without the need of any tools. The EVO Spacebox once assembled, can be broken down and even stored back in the retail box that it arrives in.

The weather shield is easily installed without tools and snaps into place. The antenna seal in the front of the weather shield can rotate to accommodate the various antenna swivel possibilties while still maintaining a tight water seal.

Balance feels a little "downward", but is not a hinderance.

My understanding is that the EVO Spaceboxes will still be considered a special order by Hitec-USA, but if there is sufficient damand for them, Hitec-USA will order them in sufficient quantity to be considered a stock item.

Personally, I really like the Spacebox. If you're a finger-tip flying, you might still be able to use the tray. For cold-weather soaring on the slope in the winter, the Spacebox will definitely make this type of flying more comfortable.

Fly Multiplex.

-joedy
Joedy is online now Find More Posts by Joedy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2004, 04:51 AM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
Nice mini review and you've answered a few of my questions as well. I've been looking for some decent pictures as I don't like buying sight unseen.

I use the tray for the Cockpit and it looks like a few of the flaws have been fixed ie a hole for the charge lead and the folding struts.

How quick does the rainshield go on/come off? Will it wear with repeated use. Access to the side switches looks a little cramped. Is it easy to drop your finger down and hit them OK?

--
Dave
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old Jun 20, 2004, 07:57 AM
My other TX is a P4000.
USA, VA, Raphine
Joined Sep 2002
2,254 Posts
The weather shield snaps into place. It takes about 15 seconds to install or remove. The elongated buttons around the side of the weather shield actually spin around to facilitate unsnapping from the Spacebox tray. Since the weather shield is plastic, I imagine that there is some type of lifecycle for the parts, but I cannot imagine it failing for several years with proper installing and removal.

Access to the side buttons is easy although it may not appear so from the photographs.

Since you're in the UK, I'd give Gordon Upton at ModelSpot.com a call and see if he has some in stock.

-joedy
Old Jun 20, 2004, 12:11 PM
Bristol, Great Britain (UK)
Joined May 2003
2 Posts
Hi Dave

I have a space box and cover I bought in a deal from someone. It is unused and I don't want it. Make me an offer if you like. Are you the Dave Kirk that used to be from Weston-S-Mare?

Cheers

Nick
peperoni is offline Find More Posts by peperoni
Old Jun 20, 2004, 03:05 PM
Landings are not optional
Van Nuys, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,805 Posts
Can Hitec direct order these for US customers? Or can a LHS order through Hitec? I feel like I get much better flight control with fingertips, but I can't hold the radio well enough without a tray to get comfortable. I saw these a while ago but couldn't find a source.
DeuceTrinal is offline Find More Posts by DeuceTrinal
Old Jun 20, 2004, 05:06 PM
My other TX is a P4000.
USA, VA, Raphine
Joined Sep 2002
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceTrinal
Can Hitec direct order these for US customers?

Or can a LHS order through Hitec?
Yes.

Yes.

-joedy
Old Jun 20, 2004, 07:04 PM
Reno Cannon, Nevada, United States
Joined Jul 2003
845 Posts
Hi joedy, great mini review, and I like the pictures. How much are these by the way in U.S. dollars?
Capgun_Slim is offline Find More Posts by Capgun_Slim
Old Mar 12, 2005, 12:08 AM
Foam Flyer
Stockbridge, Georgia, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,931 Posts
Joedy Will the EVO mount in the box and work with the antenna straight out, or do you have to have it in the up and left position?

Thanks
Glenn
Depdog is offline Find More Posts by Depdog
Old Jul 19, 2005, 02:58 AM
Joined Sep 2004
23 Posts
Just received my Evo Spacebox. Initial impressions are that it is ergonomically fine but the support bar seems fiddly to fold and unfold. In particular I'm a bit concerned that the tiny plastic tongues on the rear of the tray which clip the support bar in place seem very fragile and likely to break. Can anyone who uses a Spacebox confirm whether this is a potential problem or do the plastic mouldings stand up well to continual usage. Also any hints and tips on folding/unfolding the supprt bar would be appreciated. Thanks.
beepilot is offline Find More Posts by beepilot
Old Jul 19, 2005, 03:13 AM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,200 Posts
Thanks for the review - very helpful. How much?
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old Jul 19, 2005, 07:38 AM
My other TX is a P4000.
USA, VA, Raphine
Joined Sep 2002
2,254 Posts
I don't fold down my bar; I just leave it up.

I've been using my Spacebox for a year and I have not experienced any difficulties or problems.

One thing to keep in mind is that there is a latch that needs to be pressed in order to release the EVO handle from the Spacebox.

Check with your LHS or the online dealers for a quote. These were supposed to be special order items, but I think that they are now being ordered by MPX-USA regularly.

-joedy
Old Jul 19, 2005, 07:41 AM
My other TX is a P4000.
USA, VA, Raphine
Joined Sep 2002
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depdog
Joedy Will the EVO mount in the box and work with the antenna straight out, or do you have to have it in the up and left position?

Thanks
Glenn
Sorry for the late reply, Glenn.

The Spacebox will allow the EVO to mount the antenna both ways - straight and offset. You choose whichever you prefer.

-joedy
Old Jul 19, 2005, 08:55 AM
Foam Flyer
Stockbridge, Georgia, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,931 Posts
No problems Joedy, I have one and love it. Going to bend my bar forward a little bit so that the front of the radio is up more towards me. I don't like the way it hangs down.

Yes Multiplex keeps these in stock now and you can order at any time. I wish they would get the plastic shield in though.

For anyone wanting the "Crossover Strap" they are not imported, but if you look here, http://www.qualityrcproducts.com/prod_harness.html you can fine a great strap. I have this one and it works great, super comfortable and anyone who has tried it agrees. Less than $30.00 shipped to my door and was here 2 days after I ordered it.

Glenn
Depdog is offline Find More Posts by Depdog
Old Jul 19, 2005, 10:28 AM
My other TX is a P4000.
USA, VA, Raphine
Joined Sep 2002
2,254 Posts
By the way, I have heard that marching band suppliers offer a comfortable cross strap that their drummers wear. They are supposedly cheaper.

I absolutely love my MPX "Kreuzgurt" (Cross-Over Strap). It really does make flying more relaxing and enjoyable.

-joedy
Old Jul 20, 2005, 06:36 PM
It's the last plane honey
Granite Bay, CA USA
Joined Jul 2003
2,133 Posts
Hi Joedy,

Where does one find the MPX "Kreuzgurt" strap?

Andy
SlowRider is offline Find More Posts by SlowRider