HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2014, 11:41 PM
Joined Feb 2014
10 Posts
Help!
Landing gear for a 50lb plane

Hello,

I'm working on a project for school and I'm assigned the task of securing a landing gear system for the 50lb aircraft. I have experience with smaller, lighter rc planes, but nothing of this size. Would any of you be kind enough to direct me to any online stores for landing gears I could purchase for this aircraft? Or maybe a recommend a reference I could study to properly design one.

Thanks
oeren is offline Find More Posts by oeren
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2014, 05:59 AM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,885 Posts
AMR, Chief aircraft come to mind. You need to look at 40%, 150-200cc stuff for that kinda weight range
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
Old Oct 04, 2014, 11:00 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,119 Posts
Have you looked at TnT Landing Gear"

Tom Kroggel has some pretty big landing gear

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Oct 07, 2014, 09:29 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,508 Posts
Sierra gear may be interested in making some , there quality is always under rated as far as weight that they can handle .
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Oct 22, 2014, 07:28 AM
Moss, Norway
Joined Jul 2003
439 Posts
Are you talking about a retractable type of landing gear, or just a standard (fixed) gear?
Is the landing gear supposed to be attached to the fuselage or to the wings?

Magne
Magne is offline Find More Posts by Magne
Old Nov 03, 2014, 03:30 AM
"Experimental"
United States, NY, Elbridge
Joined Feb 2013
260 Posts
That size plane you have to think out of the box, and shop out of the hobby, so to speak. Look to Harbor freight, WW Graingers, McMaster-Carr, Material handling places. Hand truck or small trailer wheel-tire assemblies would suit you, just keep it light. You may be able to construct the framework from aluminum or carbon fiber tubing, or start with a aluminum hand truch or such and modify. SDS hobby has some bigger stuff as does the 3D Hobbyshop. A call to 3D would get you pointed in a good direction if not solve your problems.

Good Luck!

Scott
Scott594 is online now Find More Posts by Scott594
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2014, 09:27 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined May 2010
33 Posts
Do you have any Plans/ drawings for me to take a look at ?? I build 1/4 and 1/3 scale gear for Cubs and the like, maybe I could lend a hand let me know when you can.... just some food for thought
AMJ San Antoni is offline Find More Posts by AMJ San Antoni
Old Nov 15, 2014, 03:13 AM
Joined Feb 2014
10 Posts
Well, a quick calculation leads to a landing gear height requirement of at least 19"
These online stores don't seem to have one of that size.
oeren is offline Find More Posts by oeren
Old Nov 15, 2014, 05:00 AM
"Experimental"
United States, NY, Elbridge
Joined Feb 2013
260 Posts
Most planes larger than 1/4 scale are scratch built. By craftsmen. That's the nature of this community, we're not an "off the shelf" bunch.

Plenty of us here are engineers, fabricators, or skilled tradesmen. Many learned their building skills because they wanted to build and fly. Most are mechanicaly talented. We join forces and do some incredible stuff. For pride and knowledge and just because we want to.

If you're truly interested in doing something worthwhile, you're going to need a team. Make friends, get involved, Join the AMA. Learn to fly. Most clubs are more then happy to help a new pilot to learn to fly. You start small and work your way up to the big stuff, which comes with big skill, money, and commitment. You'll see very quickly just how possible things can be.

Most of us who tend toward toward the larger planes spend a lot of time on Flyingiants, RCGroups Sister forum.

I go back and forth. I'm involved in a couple of larger planes right now, so am spending most of my time there. I try to keep up here, and help out with questions I'm qualified to answer when I can.

I'm not sure how to help, because you havn't really said if you want to learn to fly RC, or if you're just trying to get a job done.

If you're looking to get involved in the hobby, you're in the right place. I believe RC Groups is responsible for more new pilots than any other single entity. Myself included. If that's what you want to do, we will have you in the air in no time.

Just head to the beginners thread, introduce yourself, and read, read, read. If you like the big planes (and why wouldn't you) , get over to Flyingiants and introduce yourself there.
On the other hand, if you're just looking for a quick answer for a college paper or such, Just hire an engineering firm to design and build what you want. They're out there, I ran one for years until my health let me down. If that's what you are looking for, You may be better off looking at full size aircraft manufacturers, or Ultralight hobby aircraft and scaling down, rather than taking Giant scale RC equipment and scaling up.

Ps, even if you didn't come here looking fo a hobby, have a good look around and talk to some people, You'll find most everybody here helpful, and willing to answer questions. We were all beginners once. You may have stumbled onto something great. You'll have a great time learning what you need to know for your course too. These days, you can get an almost uncrashable plane for about $300 ready to fly. Look at the e-flite Apprentice for example. Join a club - Look on the AMA website for club near you. If you join the AMA and a club, you're insured, have a safe place to fly, some friends t do it with, and a plane. for under $500 all told. If you decide it's not for you, you can get half your money back and chalk it up to experience. Betcha you don't ever look back though. If you decide you're in, drop me a PM, and I'll help you any way I can.
Scott594 is online now Find More Posts by Scott594
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Scott594; Nov 15, 2014 at 05:16 AM.