HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2014, 05:51 AM
Joined Sep 2009
382 Posts
Discussion
2 Metre Project 2015

I like to have a project to build over the winter period, so have decided to make a 2 Metre model to replace my lash up version of the Watts Up. Although it flew well for what it was, the landing was always problematical due to not having crow braking.
So drawn up new design loosely based on the Watts New that I have campaigned this year with good success.
It has an all flying tail plane this time, driven by a servo in the fin as is the rudder, will post more pictures as we go.
Essex BOF is offline Find More Posts by Essex BOF
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2014, 03:59 PM
Joined Sep 2009
382 Posts
Some pictures of the wing build, slowed down due to other things getting in the way.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 12:14 PM
Joined Sep 2009
382 Posts
Main wing panels sheeted, some pictures of the TE before & after sanding.
Old Dec 06, 2014, 03:58 PM
Joined Sep 2009
382 Posts
A few more pictures of the build, which is progressing slowly due to distractions of various types, which seem to be more when you are retired :?

It does take a bit longer as I get over problems as I go along, which when you are building something from scratch can be tricky. The wing is nearly finished so am building the fuselage to try and get the length of boom right, so as to be able to move the battery about to get the CG right, or somewhere near.
Old Dec 09, 2014, 07:37 PM
MMR
Martian
Joined Mar 2007
469 Posts
Great build!
I was looking at the tail configuration and the elevator servo arrangement is new to me. Could you provide a bit more detail? My scratch built 2M lost its elevator in flight due to under-engineering (actually I used a DLG mount I had). The wing survived just fine and I really want to build a new fuse.

Thanks,

Martin
MMR is online now Find More Posts by MMR
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:22 AM
.: Looking for Thermals :.
Chile, Quinta Región de Valparaíso, Los Andes
Joined Jun 2002
872 Posts
Yeah, I agree with Martin, and please consider telling us more about the sailplane it self:

* Airfoil
* Wing area
* Power plant
* Prop
* Target final weight
* Which controls are you planning to have: flaps? ailerons? spoilers?
* Fuse: it seems to be a pod-n-boom configuration, and it seems to that the tail feathers have an airfoil, which one?

Happy building.
Ricardo RW is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo RW
Old Dec 10, 2014, 01:20 PM
Joined Sep 2009
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo RW View Post
Yeah, I agree with Martin, and please consider telling us more about the sailplane it self:

* Airfoil
* Wing area
* Power plant
* Prop
* Target final weight
* Which controls are you planning to have: flaps? ailerons? spoilers?
* Fuse: it seems to be a pod-n-boom configuration, and it seems to that the tail feathers have an airfoil, which one?

Happy building.
The elevator control is an experiment that I dreamed up to operate the all moving tail without using a pushrod & bell crank drive.
Thought the picture's would be self explanatory, but here goes:-
The servo has an extended 2mm dia rod on the servo arm, that engages into a ball link helicopter link, mounted on the pivot line of the tail plane. The tail plane moves up & down via this with the ball link allowing for the changes in position relative to the servo arm.

Airfoil is my version of MH30 as used on the Watts New, see blog.

Wing area, not sure but think it will be enough 596 square inches

Powerplant ,Hyperion 2218-10

Prop 10X6 or 9X8

Target weight:- 900grams max

Controls are full house Flaps, ailerons, elevator, rudder & motor

Tail airfoil HT14
Last edited by Essex BOF; Dec 11, 2014 at 03:28 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 01:24 PM
Joined Sep 2009
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMR View Post
Great build!
I was looking at the tail configuration and the elevator servo arrangement is new to me. Could you provide a bit more detail? My scratch built 2M lost its elevator in flight due to under-engineering (actually I used a DLG mount I had). The wing survived just fine and I really want to build a new fuse.

Thanks,

Martin
Have a look at the Watts Up blog as to mounting the tail plane which might solve your problem http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1108935
Old Dec 10, 2014, 02:34 PM
.: Looking for Thermals :.
Chile, Quinta Región de Valparaíso, Los Andes
Joined Jun 2002
872 Posts
Hey... Thanks!!
Ricardo RW is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo RW
Old Dec 10, 2014, 04:09 PM
MMR
Martian
Joined Mar 2007
469 Posts
Thanks as well - so the heli ball link translates the lateral movement into a rotation - hence mounting it on the pivot line (aerodynamic center) Will the servo usage enough torque and holding power? Look forward to flight reports & assessment.
I really prefer the all moving tail on my scratch building efforts as it males it easier getting the incidences right.
Will have ting about adapting the Watts up solution to an all flying tail configuration.

Martin
MMR is online now Find More Posts by MMR
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:24 AM
Joined Sep 2009
382 Posts
Picture of port wing panel with flaps & ailerons cut away from wing.

A tool I have used over many years now, old HSS hacksaw blade sharpened like a chisel at one end useful for notching the ribs to allow the T E for the flap hinge line and aileron hinge line. Then use a sanding notching block to sand to 1/8" deep.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:48 PM
So many projects...
United States, IN, West Lafayette
Joined Oct 2009
133 Posts
Subscribed!!!!

soarguy
soarguy is offline Find More Posts by soarguy