SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 28, 2013, 06:41 PM
Joined Jun 2010
5 Posts
Discussion
Sig, Herr Eng., Guillows, Dare Hobby Balsa Kits

Hello,

Can any of you tell me which of these manufacturers produce kits that also fly well (on electric power) after construction is complete? In general, I am referring to the 1/24 or, 1/28 scale kits. None of these get too costly, but I do not want to make the mistake and create a desk ornament.

Thanks,

Rick
RAVC1 is offline Find More Posts by RAVC1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2013, 07:20 PM
United States, FL, Avon Park
Joined Mar 2004
255 Posts
Rick,
All these manufactures have been around for years so their models fly, however some are better kits than others. There are a couple of manufactures that happen to be great that you didn't mention. How about alienaircraft.com and mountainmodels.com.
Alien aircraft is owned by Tom Herr and I think that the kits are better than the Herr line, more modern. I have built 2 of the newer kits and they both fly great. Tom tells you what equipment works but I chose something else. Do a search on Raven. It is on parkfliers , Alien aircraft build log.

Mountain Models is a great company with great support, great kits, and he also tells you what works. Look for Mountain Models threads, at least a dozen guys will tell you what they used. These are some of the nicest laser cut kits around.

Larry
Travler is offline Find More Posts by Travler
Last edited by Travler; Apr 28, 2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: more info
Old Apr 28, 2013, 09:09 PM
USA, PA, Westmoreland Co.
Joined Aug 2008
1,361 Posts
search for build threads on the Dare kits. from what I've read some of the older designs aren't the easiest to build.
AerodromeRC also makes a few smaller scale kits (1/16th). The sopwith pup, 20" ws, is one - maybe at $40 above what you want to spend, but they have nice kits.
http://www.aerodromerc.com/
jonquinn is offline Find More Posts by jonquinn
Old May 11, 2013, 04:12 AM
Joined May 2012
212 Posts
Guys, I just looked in on this thread and I appreciate the tips on Alien Aircraft and Mountain Models both have instruction books on line which is really helpful in appraising a kit. I've got the 40" Aerodrome RC Pup still in the box. The laser cutting is very nice. I'll need to get into one or more of these. The Hyperbipe and the Super Dragon both are very appealing. Regards, Cliffc
Cliffc is offline Find More Posts by Cliffc
Old May 11, 2013, 11:24 AM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,233 Posts
fyi

Not quite as small as your looking for but here are some "Can't miss" web links you may be interested in - all his stuff works as seen in his building+flying threads -

J-3 Kitten
Pat's customer model kits and plans
my current favorite kit-
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Old May 11, 2013, 11:37 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,255 Posts
Suggest Deils Engineering models: Scale 1;24 models. Bit of a supply issue diring laser cutting upgrades though. These routinely show up at FAC meets when well built :-)
Stevens Aero has some very nice smaller 'simple build' models with a huge builder reference base.. should one need even further info.
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old May 11, 2013, 06:24 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,497 Posts
These are a little pricey but quality and flight characteristics are outstanding
http://patscustom-models.com/
Just saw this was posted.. sorry...
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old May 12, 2013, 06:03 PM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,777 Posts
www.retrorc.us.com
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old May 13, 2013, 10:09 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,272 Posts
Some of these larger ones work good for electric r/c. And why not try a smaller rubber model for fun?
http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/kits.htm
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52