HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:44 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Any chance there's a diode we can remove to allow higher power transmission like the Devo 7e guys have found?
Seems unlikely since the circuit appears to have no external RF amplification whatsoever. I have not examined it closely but it appears to be using the RF output directly off the CYRF6936 which means a maximum of 2.5mW and it's likely much less than that. I seem to remember someone saying they looked up the FCC document for the MTC-01 and it was less than 1mW but maybe I'm thinking of something else.

I believe the Devo 7 and similar have an external RF amplifier (external to the Cypress chip, that is) that has been neutered for 10mW output (both for marketing and areas where 10mW is the limit) but removing the diode pumps it up to full power.

Edit:
I have this WK2403 that no one seems to want to buy, maybe I should take it apart and see what type of amplifier it uses if any. I think it has 10mW output.
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Last edited by LittleMo; Mar 04, 2013 at 06:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:27 AM
king of the newbies
United States, PA, Bethlehem
Joined Feb 2013
202 Posts
Quote:
Edit:
I have this WK2403 that no one seems to want to buy, maybe I should take it apart and see what type of amplifier it uses if any. I think it has 10mW output.
With words like that, you gota do it now.
kingnewbie is offline Find More Posts by kingnewbie
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:13 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
think you'll find your right at 10mW PB would have more info
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
Old Mar 07, 2013, 01:40 AM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMo View Post
I seem to remember someone saying they looked up the FCC document for the MTC-01 and it was less than 1mW but maybe I'm thinking of something else.
That would be me
Yes, it's only 0.12mW

Quote:
Here is the schematic for the 2403, it shows the cyrf and rdat212 amplifier. From my cursory examination of the mtc01 circuit, the cyrf in it uses the same surrounding components and configuration, but no rdat212 of course.
One could be connected in, but whether it would work is another matter.2403 schem
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:13 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mono View Post
That would be me
Yes, it's only 0.12mW

Here is the schematic for the 2403, it shows the cyrf and rdat212 amplifier. From my cursory examination of the mtc01 circuit, the cyrf in it uses the same surrounding components and configuration, but no rdat212 of course.
One could be connected in, but whether it would work is another matter.Attachment 5594256
Nice, thanks for the info!

Yeah the rdat212 is in a QFN package anyway. Those are really hard to work with without proper SMD tools so that's out for me. However, at least I now know how it works.

Personally I'm not looking for a huge power boost. Maybe I can hack the components already on there to use more power since the Crypress chip may be able to do at least 1mW now that mine has a big power source.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:33 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
No easy way I can see to increase the power output using the existing components. It is possible but the amplifier is configured via the SPI bus so would require significant work to hack in there. Should be easier just to add an external amplifier I think.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:38 PM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,248 Posts
An external amplifier may end up being the only viable power boost solution for most folks who would like to try this. Although I have the necessary tools etc to try other things, I don't feel the burning drive to do much with this module. It helps of course if you have a need.
However, it may be possible to utilise the 8s module in place of the existing rf section to provide all the range you need, but it won't be easy for most to do.
I just had a look at the 2402 schematic, unlike the 2403 it has no rdat212, so the rf section is an accurate representation of the mtc's rf. You might find it useful, so I've attached it.
If you would like some more detail on the 8S module idea, let me know.
2402 schem

I was just looking through your earlier posts and noticed you were wondering about a couple of the ic's, the un8hx and e5h. The un8hx is a charge management ic, the other one I have not seen anything on. Here is the info I collected about the un8hx, compiled into a pdf.
UN8HX
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Last edited by mono; Mar 10, 2013 at 05:53 AM. Reason: info added
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:18 PM
Joined Dec 2012
241 Posts
Hi, i have mtc-01 and ladybird and planning to buy 9x tx, i also have h36 and v939 microquad so 9x is a better choice than devo transmitter as i want to have only 1 tx on all my quads. I use mtc-01 and android phone to fly my ladybird but there is a lag in controls. If i use the mtc-01 on 9x to fly my ladybird will it completely eliminate the lags? Another thing about the switching between the 6-axis and 3 axis mode, is there a toggle switch on 9x to do this? Thanks
massimopaolo28 is online now Find More Posts by massimopaolo28
Old Mar 29, 2013, 05:50 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
I have never tried it with a Ladybird but I don't notice any lag when using the MTC-01 with the radio.

I'm not sure how to switch the modes. I believe it probably uses the same gyro channel as the Genius (channel 7) to set 3-axis or 6-axis mode depending on the transmitted value. It might take some experimentation.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 03:19 AM
Joined Dec 2012
241 Posts
Thanks. How about the default firmware on 9x, can i use it to run mtc-01 instead of the er9x?
Old Mar 30, 2013, 05:57 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by massimopaolo28 View Post
Thanks. How about the default firmware on 9x, can i use it to run mtc-01 instead of the er9x?
That's a good question, I don't know. I haven't really used the stock firmware so I'm not sure what it's capable of. You need to be able to control the PPM timing because it very likely won't work with the stock timing.
Old Apr 03, 2013, 09:06 AM
Joined Dec 2012
241 Posts
Do you think the mtc-01 will work with the turnigy 9xr?
Old Apr 03, 2013, 09:09 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by massimopaolo28 View Post
Do you think the mtc-01 will work with the turnigy 9xr?
I haven't tried it but very likely it will work since that radio can run ER9x or other custom firmware that lets you adjust the PPM timing.
Old Apr 09, 2013, 01:26 AM
Joined Dec 2012
241 Posts
Ok so now i have my 9x tx. Using the stock firmware and with mtc-01 i can bind my ladybird to it. But there was problem, the aileron and elev channels were swapped . Anyone know how to swap those 2 channels using the stock firmware?

update: It is like it's left is the front. So what i did was to swap the front right prop and the back left prop so that the left is now its front. Now it flies great. But i noticed that my ladybird has a very short flight time, only 3 minutes on a fresh udi battery. After 3 minutes it cannot lift itself but the props are still spinning until the 5 minutes time and the props will stop spinning. So basically i only have 3 minutes of flight time. My udi battery can last up to 8 minutes on my h38 and v939.
Last edited by massimopaolo28; Apr 09, 2013 at 02:50 AM.
Old Apr 09, 2013, 08:11 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
There is surely a way to switch the channels on the radio but I don't know how to do it with the stock firmware.

As for the flight time, I don't know. I also usually get 7-8 minutes on my DIY quads but I don't know about the Ladybird. I would be careful about running it once it forces you to land because that usually means the battery is too low. However, how old is your Ladybird? If the motors are worn out it can show symptoms like this where it won't fly even on a fresh battery.