SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 06, 2012, 12:55 PM
Joined Nov 2011
55 Posts
Discussion
crashed my plane and need some advice on rxs and escs..

hi guys..

so i crashed my t28... it was far away and all of a sudden i tried to turn it back around and it had zero control..

i have that orange rx in there..

1) do you think it was a brownout caused by the bec in the stock e flight esc? i was coming up on 6 minutes of flight time and perhaps the voltage had dropped too low?
2) or do you think that the orange rx failed on its range? i do not have it equipped with satellites

in the future what advice would you give me to stop this from happening. I am fairly new to the hobby and only through rc groups and online have i been able to educate myself.

thanks in advance for your time guys...

jonas
jonasstodart is offline Find More Posts by jonasstodart
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2012, 01:24 PM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
My advice is to keep the planes close by.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Feb 06, 2012, 01:28 PM
Joined Nov 2011
55 Posts
fair enough.. but i find that sometimes its hard to tell in the sky how far away you are....
Old Feb 06, 2012, 02:50 PM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
Then you need more practice. When the plane is hard to see it is way, way too far away.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Feb 06, 2012, 02:56 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,015 Posts
It's unlikely to have been a brownout caused by battery voltage getting too low. Even if the battery reaches lvc, and the ESC shuts down or slows down the motor, there's still plenty of volts left to power the receiver through the BEC that's in the ESC.

So, more likely you were out of range, as others have suggested; or maybe you were simply disoriented because of the distance, and input a wrong control.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Feb 06, 2012, 05:34 PM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
What TX are you using? I had this problem with my T28 when it was stock. Crashed twice like that. Once with the AR500 that came with it and once with an OrangeRx. From what I have found out and learned the hard way it seems that there has been issues with the stock setup on some. Not all have this issue but I know of several that have. I use a OrangeRx now, but I did get the satellite and ran it down through the holes in the bottom of the plane and used velcro to attach it to the bottom so there is no interference. I also upgrade motor and ESC but part of that was because my T28 had the common problem of the plastic motor cracking. As far as time goes I use to fly mine for 16min on a 2200 pack and around 8 or 9 on the stock 1800. I can go into more detail on my setup if interested.
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Old Feb 06, 2012, 07:09 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
I suspect the cause is quite likely the Citrus Aurantium/ Spektrumis spectaculum effect.

One fix is, as fmw stated, keeping the plane closer to you. I found that practicing with little planes like the PZ UMs helps considerably with orientation and judging of distance. I particularly like the original Vapor, as you can, quite literally, fly circles around your own head once you've got your hand/eye coordination down.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Feb 06, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Nov 2011
55 Posts
i spent alot of time today researching after my post and i also talked with a guy at my local hobby shop who has years of electric flying experience. he seems to think its 100% the orange rx that failed. not the esc.. he says the eflight escs with the built in becs are top notch and would not have failed. He says he has so many people come in his hobby shop with sad horror stories from the orange rxs that dont have the satellite. He also scoled me.. for not buying a proper spektrum reciever.. it really is my fault.. when i bought the plane i couldnt afford a reciever or even a charger.. i went with the cheap $7 orange rx and i guess i kind of paid the price.. the unfortunate thing is that i think all the electronics are probably done from the plane falling into the ocean.. i washed everthing with fresh water and i have it all in a big bag of rice.. read about that today as well.. we shall see...

sure sucks though.. really does.. one thing to lose a plane from disorientation...
another to have 0 control and be totally helpless...

jonas
Old Feb 06, 2012, 09:59 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasstodart View Post
i spent alot of time today researching after my post and i also talked with a guy at my local hobby shop who has years of electric flying experience. he seems to think its 100% the orange rx that failed. not the esc.. he says the eflight escs with the built in becs are top notch and would not have failed. He says he has so many people come in his hobby shop with sad horror stories from the orange rxs that dont have the satellite. He also scoled me.. for not buying a proper spektrum reciever.. it really is my fault.. when i bought the plane i couldnt afford a reciever or even a charger.. i went with the cheap $7 orange rx and i guess i kind of paid the price.. the unfortunate thing is that i think all the electronics are probably done from the plane falling into the ocean.. i washed everthing with fresh water and i have it all in a big bag of rice.. read about that today as well.. we shall see...

sure sucks though.. really does.. one thing to lose a plane from disorientation...

jonas
I have been flying nothing but orange receivers for a year, almost every day. We, also, have them spread all over the club of 40 members. My experience is they have been very reliable. I would look elsewhere for your problem.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Feb 06, 2012, 10:16 PM
St. Louis
USA, MO, Ballwin
Joined Mar 2010
634 Posts
Orange Receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasstodart View Post

jonas
Assuming you "range tested" the orange receiver before you flew so you already have your answer. I am flying two orange Rx with no problems even at extreme range. Many others at our field fly the same with no problems.

You could have a faulty one but...have you checked everything else first?

Walk your field and range test in a realistic situation. And as suggested in the earlier post, sounds like you were too far away to accurately maintain visual control...so why do the electronics become suspect?
Foambird is offline Find More Posts by Foambird
Old Feb 07, 2012, 07:31 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,187 Posts
Your hobby shop sells Spektum so it's no wonder he'd run down your no good POS of garbage, cheap rcvr that works great. Not hard to lose reference to the planes speed at distance and stall it. Next time, point the nose right at you, neither up or down a bit, but right at you. This will ensure that it's slightly nose down and will keep up the airspeed.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Last edited by flypaper 2; Feb 07, 2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 03:02 AM
"Thats right Iceman"
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Jul 2011
129 Posts
I have proven your theory of issues with the orange recievers to be accurate heres what i have found:
Fact #1) if your antenae is straight and not bent you can loose signal and must move the tx franticly to retrieve signal. I have had it happen more than a few times with more than one plane.
Fact #2) Orange recievers dont have either the range or the antenae exposure to properly funtion unless at close range. I have lost multiple aircraft with these reievers the stick just goes dead at ranges that are well within normal flying ranges for any reciever sometimes i got signal back sometimes crunch into the pacific or asphalt ect. I will say everytime ive lost signal i had an orange rx in the plane. Thankfully the planes i lost were cheap but i wouldnt trust an orange rx in an expensive plane. All i can say is be careful best to make sure the antenae wire is exposed to line of site with tx preferably no balsa or foam in between even better get the satelite adapter for it.
Fact #3) If you leave your bind plug in by accident you will loose your plane after a few minutes especially if others are binding/flying 2.4 i lost an f-16 edf that way.
Fact #4) The dx6i spectrum radio does not warn you when your tx batteries are low it warns you when they are way to low so be careful that you watch your tx voltage it may spike at first when you turn tx on but then slowly fall below acceptable levels decreasing your range during flight.
Planes lost because of orange rx's
Stinger edf jet
Aspire power glider
Unkown possibilities: both planes i lost at sea flying over the ocean this may have something to do with it i dont know just a side point and sounds like you did too?
MIKEYOUR is offline Find More Posts by MIKEYOUR
Last edited by MIKEYOUR; Jun 03, 2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:58 PM
Thailand
Joined Aug 2010
530 Posts
Lots of guys here fly the orange rx with no problems or no more problems than any other radio system.
I like to use a UBEC as I have had problems with the ESC not being able to supply enough power to the rx.
Orientation, many new fliers (and old ones) blame the radio because the model is a long way off and they cannot tell which way it is going, so inputs from the pilot seem to be doing the wrong thing and the model crashes.
This is easy to do even for the experienced pilot.
Keep it close is better.
Jim
Fox-composites is offline Find More Posts by Fox-composites
Old Jun 04, 2012, 01:10 PM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,311 Posts
I'd put money on you flew out of range. I've got ~20 orange RX's in use and unless they fail out of the box (don't bind, no lights etc) they work just as well as the originals.

If the plan was hard to see you were to far away. And you don't say, but i bet you fly with your radio antenna pointed straight at the plane. That's a NO NO. It will reduce your range by a massive amount. Your transmitter antenna's end should point right at your face. This basically ensures that the transmitter's antenna is perpendicular to the plane.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Jun 04, 2012, 02:11 PM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
So from what ur saying its better to have the antenna bent straight up at ur head?.. I always have mine bent in the middle position cause I had heard not to do it straight. So I need to start bending it up all the way now?
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB