HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:15 PM
United States, FL, Bradenton
Joined Jan 2012
329 Posts
I get long flight times but oddly once a battery gets down to about 3.85 volts the MQX won't have enough juice to run any more and that's with several different new Hyperion and stock batteries.
Is that normal?
overmyhead is offline Find More Posts by overmyhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:35 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by overmyhead View Post
I get long flight times but oddly once a battery gets down to about 3.85 volts the MQX won't have enough juice to run any more and that's with several different new Hyperion and stock batteries.
Is that normal?
I set my timer on my DX6i to 9 mins.....
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined Jan 2012
329 Posts
Yeah that's what I came up with too.
Was just curious that such a small quad wouldn't run on 3.85 volts like my planes do.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:23 AM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,332 Posts
I can't confirm this 100% but I believe it has something to do with the current draw of four motors running on a quad vs only one on a plane. On my larger 250 size quad with kk2 board it gives me a read out of the voltage and I have the cutoff set at 7.2 for my 2s pack. It has a beeper that will beep and let me know once it has reached that level. When it beeps and I bring it in and land it and check the voltage it's always higher (like 7.6-7.8). So I believe the current draw is causing the lower number even though once settled the lipo is reading out higher.
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:40 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,370 Posts
Quote:
Is that normal?
What is the temp where you are flying..cold weather affects the batterys flight time.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:08 AM
Joined Jan 2012
329 Posts
Jake you just hit the nail on the head!

I flew my batteries at 85 degrees and they were still at a flyable charge level when I quit but then I tried to show somebody how it flies that night when the temps dipped way down into the 70's (that's cold in Florida Lol) and they wouldn't even power it up at all at the lower temp.
I can fly planes at much less voltage but as mentioned the quad has 4X the number of motors and that must make a big difference on energy needs.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:47 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
I can't confirm this 100% but I believe it has something to do with the current draw of four motors running on a quad vs only one on a plane. On my larger 250 size quad with kk2 board it gives me a read out of the voltage and I have the cutoff set at 7.2 for my 2s pack. It has a beeper that will beep and let me know once it has reached that level. When it beeps and I bring it in and land it and check the voltage it's always higher (like 7.6-7.8). So I believe the current draw is causing the lower number even though once settled the lipo is reading out higher.
Well, obviously the voltage under load is going to be lower than the resting voltage. A old pack could well read 3.85 at rest but sag down below LVC under load.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:52 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Jake you just hit the nail on the head!

I flew my batteries at 85 degrees and they were still at a flyable charge level when I quit but then I tried to show somebody how it flies that night when the temps dipped way down into the 70's (that's cold in Florida Lol) and they wouldn't even power it up at all at the lower temp.
I can fly planes at much less voltage but as mentioned the quad has 4X the number of motors and that must make a big difference on energy needs.
It all depends on the motor in the plane. And no way is a temp in the 70's going to cause a lipo's voltage to sag.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:12 AM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,332 Posts
Yep agreed I've flown some of these 1s lipos in the 30's with no issues.
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:11 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,750 Posts
I fly everyday in temps less than 40. Sometimes in the teens. No problems.
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Nov 2012
21 Posts
Nice toys.
adia is offline Find More Posts by adia
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:12 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adia View Post
Nice toys.
Man of few words?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:49 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
I think unless the stabilization system of an aircraft also has accellerometers, it does not matter the orientation when binding, as long as it is still. I just measures a signal level from the sensors upon binding to get a baseline of what "stable" is. It has no idea what "level" is. Is this right? Now on my mini pet, I make sure it is level, cause that thing will auto-level when you release the cyclic.
You are correct - AS3X is simply a 3-axis gyro-based stabilization system. There are no accelerometers or other means of establishing a reference with respect to the Earth - therefore it is impossible for AS3X to know which way is up. The mQX and all of the other AS3X-equipped aircraft can be initialized in any orientation. The only requirement is that the aircraft remains motionless during the process. I own at least one of each AS3X-equipped aircraft that has been released - except for the mSRX, HT, and Spit. I initialize them in whatever orientation is the most convenient at the moment. As long as they remain motionless during initialization, AS3X works as expected - regardless of orientation.

BTW - binding & initialization are completely different things. Binding is done once. Turning on the tx & then powering-up the aircraft to fly it is called initializing - not binding.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:07 PM
Joined Jan 2012
329 Posts
Help with MQX "stalling" problem?

So I have been having loads of fun learning quads with the MQX but recently it has developed a problem where the motors stop in mid air after hearing a brief squeal noise and it always flips over sharply and crashes and the motors stop. It will then fly for a variable amount of time and while flying just randomly does it again even when simply hovering in place.

The squeal noise always happens immediately prior and I don't know what the sound is.

Luckily it's tough and nothing breaks so far except a carbon boom but I need to fix this bug.

Any help appreciated,
Thanks
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:54 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,370 Posts
Quote:
So I have been having loads of fun learning quads with the MQX but recently it has developed a problem where the motors stop in mid air after hearing a brief squeal noise and it always flips over sharply and crashes and the motors stop. It will then fly for a variable amount of time and while flying just randomly does it again even when simply hovering in place.

The squeal noise always happens immediately prior and I don't know what the sound is.

Luckily it's tough and nothing breaks so far except a carbon boom but I need to fix this bug.

Any help appreciated,
Thanks
Doesn't sound very good.