Starting Voltage: 50.5

17x10 APC

Max Throttle: 63%
Peak Watts: 2061
Peak V: 45.04
Peak AMP: 45.3
Avg Watts after 1min: 1960
Starting Voltage: 49.0

Motor was barely warm after these tests.

I pushed it to 2350W for about 20 secs with the last setup. It survived. It's just as beefy as the 160. Wonder if these are under rated?
guldukat is offline Find More Posts by guldukat
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 07:37 AM
United States, IL, Glenwood
Joined Nov 2013
836 Posts
Unless I am missing somthing here. If you have to limit the throttle too run a prop on a particular motor. To keep it from burning up wouldn't that mean that it's a poor motor choice for the application. If I'm wrong please explane. It just does not make any sence too me. I'm sure there is something I'm missing.
Gregertman is online now Find More Posts by Gregertman
Old Today, 09:01 AM
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Sep 2012
194 Posts
talcon 110 8s prop xore 19 8 pja and pjn. i think the gas prop has more stall thrust.
mattnat is online now Find More Posts by mattnat
Old Today, 09:21 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregertman View Post
Unless I am missing somthing here. If you have to limit the throttle too run a prop on a particular motor. To keep it from burning up wouldn't that mean that it's a poor motor choice for the application. If I'm wrong please explane. It just does not make any sence too me. I'm sure there is something I'm missing.
Absolutely nothing wrong about that and the only sense to it is that it's a case of making due with what you have. With Hacker and Motrolfly in this power class, we're running motors between 2 and 5 ounces lighter, to more power, and not having to restrict anything. We're also paying $160 more, but I'd never do what I'm doing with Hacker and Motrolfly motors to any other motor in this power class, less or more expensive.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 10:20 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,256 Posts
Price-point is a subjective decision, but when I have $1,700 tied up in an airplane, I'm more interested in protecting $1,540 than I am about saving $160. Plus, I'm running a 21x10 prop, so the cheaper motor won't give me the performance I'm looking for either, without putting the investment at an even bigger risk.
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 10:46 AM
United States, IL, Glenwood
Joined Nov 2013
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
Price-point is a subjective decision, but when I have $1,700 tied up in an airplane, I'm more interested in protecting $1,540 than I am about saving $160. Plus, I'm running a 21x10 prop, so the cheaper motor won't give me the performance I'm looking for either, without putting the investment at an even bigger risk.
Ok good to know that in a pinch that is a reasonable solution to using what you have. I'm with you if you already have 1500 to 1700 ish wraped up in a plane. I myself wouldn't skimp on the motor and risk it and also loose performance. If you already have the best plane why not use the best motor. That's the way I see it. But I also see if your on a budget what else are you going to do.
Gregertman is online now Find More Posts by Gregertman
Old Today, 03:04 PM
Joined Sep 2014
49 Posts
I always like trying cheaper alternatives. hackers have a bad reputation - they denied warranty replacements. i maidened the ef edge 74 with the 20x8 with the tacon. hovers at mid throttle but still need to get used to this aircraft. the hv mi turnigy servo's are a great setup for this. super fast at 0.06 secs. still too early to deem the tacon's reliable. only 4 flights. the entire setup is usd 9xx.xx.
guldukat is offline Find More Posts by guldukat
Old Today, 07:20 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,256 Posts
I've had eleven Hackers and nine Motrolflys and never had a problem with any 28 pole Hackers -- A60 to the Q80. I actually think they have one of the best reputations out there along with Motrolfly. I have had problems with every other motor brand I've owned, and I won't bother to list them, but I've settled on Hacker and Motrolfly for now. I would add that Torque motors in the sizes we;ve discussed also have a good reputation.

We've been discussing motors, ESC, batteries, props, and a few other electric components here since 2011 and I think we're at the point where we know good components from bad. I have no problem saying unequivocally from experience that the Hacker and Motrolfly are head and shoulders above most of the other brands from 2800 Watts and up (have not tried Plettenberg yet), and there is certainly no comparison with anything you'll find on Hobbypartz or Hobbyking in the $25 to $100 range. I wish they would, but they don't give away good motors.
RCG Plus Member