HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:09 PM
Gig 'Em!
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Nov 2010
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleman View Post
But you are making a claim that a rubber ducky is better than an immersion CP set???
You're the one making the claim:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleman View Post
these are better that the rubber duckies in the 5.8g band.
All I did was bring to your attention that this was a sweeping generalization that you made without sufficient evidence.
TexasAggie is offline Find More Posts by TexasAggie
Last edited by TexasAggie; Dec 30, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:16 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Anyone know what the max. current draw is in mA on the HXT-900 9g servos?
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:53 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,118 Posts
I would safely say .7 amps or 700 milliamps. Quite high. That is what I have found when researching that a while back. 2.8 amps max draw with 4 of these servos, but that is all four running flat out at the same time. Probably wise just to stick with those figures to be on the safe side, but plenty of folks get away with a much smaller bec and survive i believe. I believe that figure came from the elflite website at some stage.
uptime4downtime is online now Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skywing 38" Build Instructions
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:23 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,118 Posts
Is this cam any good for general FPV? It's the 520line Sony from HK

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mera_PAL_.html

I have a couple of the 420 line $16 HK ones, but if this is an improvement, it might be worth a little more. The 420's are actually ok thus far (for downlink work) but I've yet to use them purely for FPV piloting
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined Dec 2012
13 Posts
Hi all, I am pretty new to RC in general, and the only reason I am really interested now is because of the fpv videos I am seeing on youtube , this stuff looks like tons of fun.

Right now I own a DX5e transmitter , I bought this to use on the phoenix simulator, I want to fly helicopters, and will be buying a Blade MCPX v2 micro heli. Right now I do not have a receiver , from the research I have done on FPV, I see that the UHF systems can be used instead, my question is, will this work on a micro helicopter? I am trying to avoid buying a normal receiver if UHF system can replace it.

My ultimate goal is to aquire skills in flying with the micro heli then moving to a larger one to install FPV system.
gatorkea is offline Find More Posts by gatorkea
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:18 PM
United States, IA, Johnston
Joined Sep 2009
147 Posts
I've been reading this thread for a year now and I kind of feel dumb asking this question because I think I know the answer. Anyway here it goes, Is it okay to run a GoPro with the wifi turned on while using 2.4 for control?

Thanks,
Tonic
TonicMan is offline Find More Posts by TonicMan
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:10 PM
My plane is 5ft BGL!
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorkea View Post
Hi all, I am pretty new to RC in general, and the only reason I am really interested now is because of the fpv videos I am seeing on youtube , this stuff looks like tons of fun.

Right now I own a DX5e transmitter , I bought this to use on the phoenix simulator, I want to fly helicopters, and will be buying a Blade MCPX v2 micro heli. Right now I do not have a receiver , from the research I have done on FPV, I see that the UHF systems can be used instead, my question is, will this work on a micro helicopter? I am trying to avoid buying a normal receiver if UHF system can replace it.

My ultimate goal is to aquire skills in flying with the micro heli then moving to a larger one to install FPV system.
An MCPX v2 comes BNF with its own built it reciever/flybarless gyro/esc circuit board. You do not have to buy a separate reciever for it.
With an MCPX v2, you will want to upgrade to a computer radio to see its full potential, plus you will want one when you start FPV. It has to be a spectrum/jr 2.4 tx to be compatible with the built in reciever. So, a dx6i, dx7,dx7s,or dx8 would be great for it.
spectrum radios are not good for FPV use becuase they have limited range. Just look at all the "I lost control with spectrum" threads here in the fpv forum.

You have two options - you can buy a UHF LRS sepup, or you can buy an old 72mhz setup. Not quite as much range as UHF, but still better than spectrum 2.4 and they both start glitching when it gets too far away, wheras spectrum 2.4 just cuts out entireley.

The mcpx v2 is a great learning heli, it was my second heli after a coax mcx2.
It is very durable, I had to hit the tree lots of times to break the little thing....
I have seen aguy on youtube who set up a micro FPV setup on a mcpx as well.
LowlyElevated is online now Find More Posts by LowlyElevated
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:42 PM
froots loops
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskya View Post
This question puzzle me
What Dl video for a gopro hero 3
Very long range fpv will be the best
a ready kit with osd gps
trouble free if possible and easy to use?
I made research and this is what I find out so far
http://hobbywireless.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=457
Answer please
And best OSD
saskya is offline Find More Posts by saskya
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:24 PM
KG5AWQ
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Apr 2012
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptime4downtime View Post
Is this cam any good for general FPV? It's the 520line Sony from HK

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mera_PAL_.html

I have a couple of the 420 line $16 HK ones, but if this is an improvement, it might be worth a little more. The 420's are actually ok thus far (for downlink work) but I've yet to use them purely for FPV piloting
I bought that cam not too long ago. It works alright unless it hits direct sunlight, then you get thick black bars/interference until you are out of direct sunlight. The problem seems to be a lot worse ever since i hooked my cam up to Nova OSD, so... I dont know. Funny thing is, I could live with it when it was just the cam and transmitter - nova made it worse. The picture is pretty good on it as well.

In any case, I have a different camera on the way, so I've got no use for it now. Maybe they're all like that, maybe its just mine.
guaglione87 is offline Find More Posts by guaglione87
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:52 AM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,118 Posts
Thanks, yes, I read some of the reviews that mentioned that also. your comments confirm this. Regards
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:42 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Answer please
And best OSD
Saskya,

Sorry to say but you should definately rephrase your question. I tired (english is not my native language but I'm not sure that was the problem) to understand WHAT you are asking and what exactly you want to know to no avail....

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:40 AM
My plane is 5ft BGL!
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,261 Posts
He is trying to ask what ready-to-use fpv kit he can buy that will work with a gopro hero three.
He would like long range
he wants it to hav an OSD, with a GPS
He wants the setup to be easy to use
LowlyElevated is online now Find More Posts by LowlyElevated
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:59 AM
Joined Dec 2012
13 Posts
Thank you waffleman that was very helpful information
gatorkea is offline Find More Posts by gatorkea
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:36 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
This question puzzle me
What Dl video for a gopro hero 3
Very long range fpv will be the best
a ready kit with osd gps
trouble free if possible and easy to use?
I made research and this is what I find out so far
http://hobbywireless.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=457
IMHO you want too much for a start. I recommend to read the beginners thread carefully. Starting out with a diversity but linear antennas does IMHO not make much sense for a beginner. Keep it SIMPLE. The gopro usually is used as an aditional camera to record the flights so as you can watch them in HD after the flight. Few use it as the FPV camera. I asume that's also not what you want to do as there is a camera in the set you refered to.

Since (I asume) you are a beginner, I would not start with a gopro anyways. The risk of destroying it in a crash is high. Better invest in a good base system, get your feets wet and add the gopro if you feel confident enough.

HTH

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:50 PM
occasionally things work
United Kingdom, England, Evesham
Joined Aug 2009
232 Posts
Hey guys,
Just watched your videos, they help a lot, I was wondering, if I got a turnigy 9x, what sort of range could I expect out of it?
It would go on a quad with the normal setup and I would fly on relatively flat ground in a rural area, i'm just worried that I would lose tx/RX signal before losing video signal.

I don't want to fly far, maybe 1, 2 miles max, so would this be OK?

Another question, sorry, how do I get my fpv screen to display all the vitals like battery left and distance from home etc.
qacermacer is offline Find More Posts by qacermacer