HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2010, 05:47 PM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
Discussion
Mikrokopter / UAVP / quadrocopter / quadrotor build -- Part 2

Kept the thread title the same, but this thread really focusses on the Mikrokopter based multikopters.

This is a continuation of the oversized "Mikrokopter / UAVP / quadrocopter / quadrotor build" thread (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716870). Due to the huge number of responses that thread was starting to affect database efficiency in the forum.

I do hope this second part does not grow so excessively as the original thread did. Now that the multikopters are starting to mature, it would probably be better if people start their own build threads, or start threads on very specific topics such as camera mounts with roll and tilt stabilisation, multikopter frames, reducing mikrokopter vibration like instability through parameters, etc, etc.
Arthur P. is offline Find More Posts by Arthur P.
Last edited by Arthur P.; Nov 29, 2010 at 03:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:10 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,845 Posts
We've had this conversation a number of times, and nothing changes in the course of the thread. I actually prefer that it stay a discussion thread like it is, because it's much easier to search.

I would probably vote to make this thread for MK only, and remove the UAVP, and general quad references from the subject. There's a whole forum for general multi-rotor info now, and UAVP/X has it's own thread of course.

Cheers,
Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:13 PM
Joined Dec 2005
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3 View Post
We've had this conversation a number of times, and nothing changes in the course of the thread. I actually prefer that it stay a discussion thread like it is, because it's much easier to search.

I would probably vote to make this thread for MK only, and remove the UAVP, and general quad references from the subject. There's a whole forum for general multi-rotor info now, and UAVP/X has it's own thread of course.

Cheers,
Rusty
I agree with this.
nikivan is offline Find More Posts by nikivan
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:19 PM
//----\\
Slovenia
Joined Mar 2008
676 Posts
I'm for MK dedicated thread too.
Coil is offline Find More Posts by Coil
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:00 PM
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,130 Posts
I love it that we crashed the server... lol... I am for MK thread too... unless you know everyone one here like us old boys then you may think someone is flying a MK but really it's a UAVX etc....

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:01 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,709 Posts
Hi Arthur,
I also agree that this should now just be renamed as a Mikrokopter issues thread as it has been mosly focused on the MK now for quite some time.
Thanks for starting the original thread and providing all the information and helping getting us get started on the MK!
Cheers,
Jim
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:23 PM
Mikrokopter Australia ;-)
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,443 Posts
Its MK all the way for me

Simon
simonjardine is offline Find More Posts by simonjardine
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:31 PM
Joined Sep 2008
705 Posts
delete
va3mw is offline Find More Posts by va3mw
Last edited by va3mw; Nov 10, 2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 02:19 AM
Austin, Texas
Joined Apr 2009
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjardine View Post
Mike, i have a quad here which kept on peeping and peeping, apparently a I2C issue, well guess what? It's gone now
New firmware works well, i have had several flights with several different crafts today, i would recommend it to anyone and everyone ...

If you crash then you know who to blame... Holger
Simon

Simon
Simon,
So I have the intermittent peeping as well on my Octo. It seems to do it more and more.
So all you did was upgrade to the new firmware without any other changes...and now it's gone?

I was going to re-wire my octo with a disro board...but if this firmware fixes it...maybe I won't have to. Cool.

Thanks,
Brent
dmsgodeep is offline Find More Posts by dmsgodeep
Old Nov 11, 2010, 03:58 AM
FPV Flyer
Madrid, Spain
Joined Mar 2006
763 Posts
MK thread also for me seems more reasonable
wavess is offline Find More Posts by wavess
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:34 AM
Mikrokopter Australia ;-)
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsgodeep View Post
Simon,
So I have the intermittent peeping as well on my Octo. It seems to do it more and more.
So all you did was upgrade to the new firmware without any other changes...and now it's gone?

I was going to re-wire my octo with a disro board...but if this firmware fixes it...maybe I won't have to. Cool.

Thanks,
Brent
worked for me Brent, It might just work for you
Simon
simonjardine is offline Find More Posts by simonjardine
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:57 AM
Joined Sep 2008
705 Posts
New Hexa

I just finished building a new (and) first Hexa for me.

The BL-Ctrl's are running v0.42 and the FC is at 0.82.

Since I had some Robby 2824-34's and a pile of EPP1045's I decide to use those just to get started.

One not to those using the Robby's. Make sure you use very shallow screws when mounting them. It is easy to screw into the power lead. You will know if you do that as the ESC won't power up completely and when you give it throttle, the ESC will go offline and the RED led will flash 10 times.

That being said, with the out of the box settings, she flies very well. Even without altitude hold, she hold her altitude much better than my quad. No Navi, GPS or Compass installed (yet).

All up weight with a 3S 4900maH Rhino battery is 1.7kg.

I am using Rusty's frame, landing gear and I2C isolator. Futaba 8FG and the OMM converter. I am also trying out Rusty's vibration motor mounts.
va3mw is offline Find More Posts by va3mw
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:34 PM
FPV Flyer
Madrid, Spain
Joined Mar 2006
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitmit
Well guys,
I just got mk working with 12fg and s-bus rx with all 12 channels without any converters!
did not fly it yet, will report later..

many thanks to Kristoffer from DK.

happy happy)
what happened with this finally? d you have more info?
wavess is offline Find More Posts by wavess
Old Nov 11, 2010, 05:04 PM
Tinkerer
Earth
Joined Oct 2005
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3 View Post

Cheers,
Rusty
Let me make a prediction here: You may dedicate the thread to the MK, but you will find that after not too long it will go the way of all the others. That is, it will resemble a dogs breakfast as far as organisation of information goes.
I do not mean this in any derogatory sense, it's just the nature of the beast.
To understand why this happens we need to first agree on the reason why the thread exists. Is it because we want to provide a ready source of reference & how-to info for new builders (prospective owners of MKs), or do we want to have a social hub for experienced MK owners to exchange views and opinions. Because IMHO you cannot have both. Unfortunately the MK wiki is not adequate as a reference source for the rank beginner but then again I would argue that if you have never built anything, the MK is not the place to start but again that is IMHO.
Why can't you have both? In my view this model (information exchange framework) is good for random exchanges between individuals but not good as an ordered source of ready reference on all the topics that go to make up a successful build - so you disenfranchise the newbies. Some people have tried to cater for this by setting up build logs on the first page....but this requires sustained attention and maintenance - two casualties of a random post system designed for ad-hoc exchanges.
Not going to get into the full analysis of this style of medium and it's benefits/shortcomings in this style of application here - The essence of my argument is that you are attempting to solve multiple problems with a tool that can provide only one solution. Admirable, but futile.

Cheers
Don
don_cocinero is offline Find More Posts by don_cocinero
Last edited by don_cocinero; Nov 11, 2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 05:55 PM
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,130 Posts
good point Don I never though of that before...

we should make a point then to state the platform we are talking about when posting.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_cocinero View Post
Let me make a prediction here: You may dedicate the thread to the MK, but you will find that after not too long it will go the way of all the others. That is, it will resemble a dogs breakfast as far as organisation of information goes.
I do not mean this in any derogatory sense, it's just the nature of the beast.
To understand why this happens we need to first agree on the reason why the thread exists. Is it because we want to provide a ready source of reference & how-to info for new builders (prospective owners of MKs), or do we want to have a social hub for experienced MK owners to exchange views and opinions. Because IMHO you cannot have both. Unfortunately the MK wiki is not adequate as a reference source for the rank beginner but then again I would argue that if you have never built anything, the MK is not the place to start but again that is IMHO.
Why can't you have both? In my view this model (information exchange framework) is good for random exchanges between individuals but not good as an ordered source of ready reference on all the topics that go to make up a successful build - so you disenfranchise the newbies. Some people have tried to cater for this by setting up build logs on the first page....but this requires sustained attention and maintenance - two casualties of a random post system designed for ad-hoc exchanges.
Not going to get into the full analysis of this style of medium and it's benefits/shortcomings in this style of application here - The essence of my argument is that you are attempting to solve multiple problems with a tool that can provide only one solution. Admirable, but futile.

Cheers
Don
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg