SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 29, 2014, 03:29 PM
Joined Oct 2014
15 Posts
I really want something that I can fly from the balcony which like I said is 10 meters high, but I am on the same height and I don't think it will be a problem. I want the helicopter, because I always wanted one, but they were just too expensive for me. I can't afford more than 19$ because beyond that I will have taxes until it comes to my country which are like more 20$. Maybe some of these quadopters will do the job ? http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...opter&_sacat=0
rdlegy is offline Find More Posts by rdlegy
Last edited by rdlegy; Nov 29, 2014 at 03:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2014, 04:14 PM
Beaverton, OR
Joined Jan 2005
121 Posts
I was told (or read some where) that the S107G and other similar IR helis could be flown outdoors when it was completely overcast. I tried that, and found there are hundreds if not thousands of IR remote controls in the average neighborhood that may also shoot you down! TV's, appliances, garage door openers, other IR toy vehicles, and who knows what else are all suspect.

The Sun is by far the strongest source of IR, and probably can reflect from clouds miles away even when it looks like you have a complete overcast.

The good news is that there are dozens of low cost R/C helis (2.4Ghz in the US) for just a few dollars more. I purchased a couple of those for under $20 US, and even though I had to return nearly half of them for problems I eventually got one of each to work.

Good luck if you decipursuepersue this, as they are great fun.

Bill
Bill Adair is offline Find More Posts by Bill Adair
Old Nov 29, 2014, 04:51 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,747 Posts
IR signals could be drown out by any bright light source, especially the bright sun. It works really great indoor. A lot of people has the misconception that you have to have a straight line of sight to use IR remote control. That is not true. In theory, yes. But what they are forgetting is that IR signal bounces off objects like crazy. Instead of aiming the TV remote at the TV, try aiming it at the wall behind you or the ceiling. As long as the signal could reflect back to the receiver, it is fine.

For that reason IR helicopter flies any where inside the room, cause IR signals are bouncing off walls, chairs, ceiling, and floor. But when you go outside to the wide open space, lots of people forget that there is nothing around to reflect IR signals. Therefore, you have to carefully aim the remote at the helicopter as it flies. If you could keep that up, you'd be amazed that it works outside to a somewhat satisfactory degree. But if you don't track that IR beam, the helicopter will drop within feet.

Radio frequency control cost more, and it is hard to find good models with a $19 ceiling.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Nov 29, 2014, 05:00 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlegy View Post
I really want something that I can fly from the balcony which like I said is 10 meters high, but I am on the same height and I don't think it will be a problem. I want the helicopter, because I always wanted one, but they were just too expensive for me. I can't afford more than 19$ because beyond that I will have taxes until it comes to my country which are like more 20$. Maybe some of these quadopters will do the job ? http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...opter&_sacat=0
I responded to your PM, but now I have a feeling that you live in a far away country, a place that uses metric system and import taxes are nuts.

I'm still a little confused by your situation. You are on the 2nd floor, some 10m off the ground, and you want to fly from your balcony. Somehow you are concerned about range and your distance from the ground. You realize that you could launch from exactly where you are standing, where the distance from the ground is of no concern, right? On the other hand, if you crash and it drops to the ground, you would have to run downstairs to retrieve it, right? I would be tempted to say that flying from your balcony is a poor choice.

If you have to stay under $19, your choices are quite limited. You could get a S107 and have a lot of fun indoor. Or, you could get a tiny palm size Quad like a CX-10. They are extremely challenging to see from a distance and they tend to be speeders. They are not my first choice for beginners.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 05:34 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,841 Posts
rdlegy, Heli_Pad is our Guru here. I whole wholeheartedly agree with him.

The S107 is a great flying heli although a 3 channel IR. Many a pilots have started out on this bird. It's a fun bird where you can make games flying her. They sell grapple hooks that you go by and scoop the rings up. Some Guys were doing all kinds of crazy stuff.

With your budget and expectations, I would lean to the S107 and have fun flying indoors, getting used to "throttle control", "sticks" etc.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Nov 29, 2014, 05:37 PM
Joined Oct 2014
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
I responded to your PM, but now I have a feeling that you live in a far away country, a place that uses metric system and import taxes are nuts.

I'm still a little confused by your situation. You are on the 2nd floor, some 10m off the ground, and you want to fly from your balcony. Somehow you are concerned about range and your distance from the ground. You realize that you could launch from exactly where you are standing, where the distance from the ground is of no concern, right? On the other hand, if you crash and it drops to the ground, you would have to run downstairs to retrieve it, right? I would be tempted to say that flying from your balcony is a poor choice.

If you have to stay under $19, your choices are quite limited. You could get a S107 and have a lot of fun indoor. Or, you could get a tiny palm size Quad like a CX-10. They are extremely challenging to see from a distance and they tend to be speeders. They are not my first choice for beginners.
Yes that is what I was thinking too. The height doesn't matter if you are on the same height, but just asked to be sure. I am not sure should I get the quad or the helicopter. The quad seems good, but I am not sure will it be that fun outside, because it is small and I don't think I will be able to see it if it goes more than 10-15 meters
Old Nov 29, 2014, 05:54 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,841 Posts
HP, should I tell him about my Cheerson CX 10 or shall you? He,he,he I love flying this at night with the lights. Eye sight ain't getting any better going on 62 YO

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Nov 29, 2014, 06:36 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,747 Posts
Mike, Rdlegy has also found a tiny Quad similar to the CX-10. From what I could tell, I think the CX-10 would be better than the one he picked. And I have pointed him to my CX-10 review.

I think the S107G would be a better entry point for new pilot. It is made to endure many rookie mistakes. I don't think the CX-10 would be able to withstand a lot. A small 4CH Tx in the hands of an experienced pilot is one thing, but to a beginner, it could be overwhelming. The light weight and the direct direct makes the CX-10 quite a speeder. So, while it is below the $19 ceiling, I think it would be a bit much for a new pilot. So, my vote is still with the S107G, although Rdlegy seems very interested in flying outside.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 07:50 AM
Joined Oct 2014
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Mike, Rdlegy has also found a tiny Quad similar to the CX-10. From what I could tell, I think the CX-10 would be better than the one he picked. And I have pointed him to my CX-10 review.

I think the S107G would be a better entry point for new pilot. It is made to endure many rookie mistakes. I don't think the CX-10 would be able to withstand a lot. A small 4CH Tx in the hands of an experienced pilot is one thing, but to a beginner, it could be overwhelming. The light weight and the direct direct makes the CX-10 quite a speeder. So, while it is below the $19 ceiling, I think it would be a bit much for a new pilot. So, my vote is still with the S107G, although Rdlegy seems very interested in flying outside.
Maybe I will buy the s107 and I will drive it home and when there is no wind I will drive it outside? WIll it be possible to drive it from the balcony tho ? We are talking in good weather conditions. And also if you gain skill will it be a problem to drive this heli outside?
I also think that the quadcopter will be better if I gain skill and will be more fun and able to be flown outside
Old Nov 30, 2014, 04:29 PM
Joined Oct 2014
15 Posts
This quadcopter has protection and I think the price is very good. - http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-M9912-Qu...baa7d#shpCntId
Maybe this will be my choice guys. It is almost the same as cx-10, but it comes with protection I will able to see it easier with the bumpers
Last edited by rdlegy; Nov 30, 2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 06:45 PM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined Nov 2014
8 Posts
Hi Guys,
I have some awful TBE effect on s107, I believe it is caused by a lot of crashes!

First thing is I replaced the flybar on the top.
TBE was almost the same, still very unstable to fly.

After some test flights it has become worse, now the heli can not lift from the ground.
I thought the battery was dead so placed a new battery.
But still it cannot lift from the ground.

Are there any ideas?
Thanks
gpolic is online now Find More Posts by gpolic
Old Today, 02:31 PM
Joined Dec 2014
4 Posts
Hi, I'm trying to make my first purchase on a few S107's for the family and I wanted to avoid fakes.

Through hours of googling, the only Authorized reseller I've heard mentioned over and over is superstition_hobbies on Amazon and ebay.

They don't appear to have stock, does anyone know if they still sell them?

If not, which other sellers in Amazon and ebay are also authorized?
rockstead is offline Find More Posts by rockstead
Old Today, 03:42 PM
Joined Dec 2014
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstead View Post
Hi, I'm trying to make my first purchase on a few S107's for the family and I wanted to avoid fakes.

Through hours of googling, the only Authorized reseller I've heard mentioned over and over is superstition_hobbies on Amazon and ebay.

They don't appear to have stock, does anyone know if they still sell them?

If not, which other sellers in Amazon and ebay are also authorized?
superstition_hobbies was really quick at replying on ebay and they said they no longer sell Syma's.

In that case, who else is confirmed legit? Is anyone managing a list I can refer to?
rockstead is offline Find More Posts by rockstead
Old Today, 05:28 PM
Joined May 2012
46 Posts
PicoZ tail rotor blades;
Where can you find them now?
Is this still the guy to go to?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1348291
ziocarl is online now Find More Posts by ziocarl
Old Today, 06:05 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,747 Posts
Battery Superstore, and Bees are my two top sellers.