HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2015, 09:09 PM
United States, KS, Gardner
Joined Mar 2015
2 Posts
Help!
Firewall to thrust washer help

OK ....... I am in a bit of a quandary and the search feature is not being my friend. What is the disadvantage or am I even ok to mount this engine a few 3-5 mm in front of the recommended firewall to thrust washer measurement (110mm)? The carb on this saito will not let me slide it back quite far enough to make that measurement happen. It hits right at the screw hole for the mount. As long as I can get the cowl on and balance in the proper place called for will I be fine?

I have a Phoenix Genesis I am trying to finish up and have planned to put a Saito 82 on it as there is no way it would fly with the 50 size four stroke the manual calls for at 6.5 or 7lbs.
runout789 is offline Find More Posts by runout789
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2015, 10:45 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,435 Posts
I Googled the plane, and by the looks of the images I see no reason why you would have any problem mechanically, or aerodynamically.

The bigger problem might be cowling placement.... so double check that and see how far out you can mount the cowling without comprimising the integrity of any structure or the cowling itself... inotherwords.... make sure you can mount the cowling as secure as it would be regardless.

Something else, I really couldn't get a good detailed look at was any taper issues... even though the images look like its all pretty straight forward, in all ways.. make sure the cowling will still decently match any contour thats in the overall shape of the nose section.

I've done this very thing before on the World Models Mustangs.... same issue when installing a large 4-stroke.. and I've cheated it probably more then 5mm's I'm sure... the nose/cowling mating was somewhat forgiving on these though.. I'm thinking alot like what you're dealing with.

Balance shouldn't be an issue, other then the usual placement of components, and/or adding weight as a last resort. So.... thats my 3 cents. Good luck.

PS.... I have to say that is one knock-out looking plane too.. I've not seen that particular model before... Phoenix planes are looking pretty good these days. Have fun with it.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Mar 10, 2015, 08:55 AM
United States, KS, Gardner
Joined Mar 2015
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrant View Post

I've done this very thing before on the World Models Mustangs.... same issue when installing a large 4-stroke.. and I've cheated it probably more then 5mm's I'm sure... the nose/cowling mating was somewhat forgiving on these though.. I'm thinking alot like what you're dealing with.

Balance shouldn't be an issue, other then the usual placement of components, and/or adding weight as a last resort. So.... thats my 3 cents. Good luck.
Thanks, I don't see any issues with bringing the cowl forward really was more a matter of would it affect anything else flight characteristics wise. I assume as long as not obnoxiously out of place and if CG is set correctly it should be fine. Just wanted reassurance from some that may have had similar experience.

Yes, I have overall been fairly impressed with this ARF. I was skeptical when I ordered as i just don't see a whole lot of chatter when it comes to Phoenix Models.

I have been eyeballing the World Models Nemesis. How are the ARF's from World Models? Are they pretty straight forward and decent quality or do you have to do mods to make them strong and parts all fit? I think that Nemesis would be an impressive plane with either a Saito 82 or if fitment was easy the new OS95V.
runout789 is offline Find More Posts by runout789