HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2014, 07:11 AM
Joined Jul 2013
120 Posts
Hi all, hoping someone can help.
Im trying to use the DCHG+ mode to discharge my 3S9000mah packs at 5 amps.
I've a 100Watt 2ohm metal clad wirewound resistor which is in series with the pack/charger.
When i try the DCHG+ mode one of the cells in the pack drops to below 3V and the cycle stops, even if i set the discharge rate to 1AMP it does the same?
If i use normal discharge mode @ 1.7 AMPS it discharges just fine (albeit slowly).

I know the cells in the packs are fine as i can put them on a pure resistive 10AMP load and they dont suffer from voltage sag (dont drop below 3.2v under load).

Can anyone point me in the right direction please.?
keithsuth is online now Find More Posts by keithsuth
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:24 AM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,190 Posts
Do you have a picture of how it's wired? I used this mode once or twice myself on 6S, I didn't have that issue.

FWIW, I wasn't comfortable with the amps I was getting (they were outside what the spreadsheet had helped me predict, and were outside the permitted range for my 106B+). So I went to using Monitor mode instead, with a target voltage set. I connect only the balance lead to the charger, start Monitor mode with the beeps enabled. Then connect the resistor directly to the pack leads. The charger beeps when there first cell hits my target, and I manually disconnect the resistor from the main leads. Done.

If I don't disconnect manually, it would run down to 0V, but the benefit is that nothing is flowing through the charger, so I can use whatever current I want.
RedOctobyr is online now Find More Posts by RedOctobyr
Last edited by RedOctobyr; Aug 25, 2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 01:42 PM
Joined Apr 2014
7 Posts
Without picture the only thing that I can think of is to check that the resistor is on the Postive pole and not negative.
lagman67 is offline Find More Posts by lagman67
Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM
Joined Sep 2013
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapter View Post
For icharger 106b+ i can only set it to a max of 4.30v /cell as termination voltage.These new batteries are 4.35v/cell.
I have the same charger. Can you explain me how to set the final voltage to 4,30 V per cell?

Anyone knows if / when a new firmware will be released to support these new batteries?

Thanks.
m_s900 is offline Find More Posts by m_s900
Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,190 Posts
Go to Settings, there are entries for termination voltages for LiPo, LiFe, etc. Go to the LiPo page, hold enter (I think) for a few seconds until the 4.20 starts flashing. Then adjust the value and hit enter.
Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined May 2004
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKiller159 View Post
It may be a bad idea to start (or stop) the car with the charger running as there will be a voltage fluctuation which may or may not be a problem for your charger. When you start the car, there can be a large voltage drop (from the starter) quickly followed by a voltage spike (when the starter stops and the alternator starts). It seemed reasonable enough to me so I never bothered to go testing it.

I could maybe see there being a decent voltage fluctuation when the AC kicks in and out. Get point about eve limited current ability of her cigarette lighter. I was not really planning on charging from a running car but I know people that do it and wanted to know if I should advise against it or not.
Neil_SC is online now Find More Posts by Neil_SC
Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM
United States, OH, Warren
Joined Aug 2013
362 Posts
A lot of new cars actually turn the alternator on and off depending on battery voltage. That may also cause a voltage spike.
SLMcc is offline Find More Posts by SLMcc
Old Today, 12:15 AM
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined May 2004
860 Posts
In my posts, the words 'eve' and 'her' should be 'the'. Auto correct.
Neil_SC is online now Find More Posts by Neil_SC
Old Today, 04:46 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLMcc View Post
A lot of new cars actually turn the alternator on and off depending on battery voltage. That may also cause a voltage spike.
Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that since always the battery voltage determines the current flowing through the inductor coil of an alternator, and this regulates the output current. So, the alternator output is adjusted linear to keep the system voltage always at the same level.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Today, 08:13 AM
Joined May 2009
156 Posts
Is there any way to start charging automatically when I connect 2s LiPo with balancer charger. I am only charging 2s lipos with 10A current.
bigbear_fin is offline Find More Posts by bigbear_fin
Old Today, 08:43 AM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,190 Posts
You mean so that you just plug them in and the charge starts, without requiring you to hit the button to start it?

No, not that I'm aware of.
Old Today, 09:14 AM
Joined May 2009
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
You mean so that you just plug them in and the charge starts, without requiring you to hit the button to start it?

No, not that I'm aware of.
Yes, that's what I mean
bigbear_fin is offline Find More Posts by bigbear_fin