1,312 Posts
That, and you fly quads. The horror!
Chris...
stuntflyr is online now Find More Posts by stuntflyr
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2013, 06:09 AM
Joined Aug 2011
23 Posts
Spaying those plastic things with armourall would get the plastic a bit flexable ,
if your going to risk flying them , or in case you dropem .
M Spencer is offline Find More Posts by M Spencer
Old Sep 11, 2013, 01:05 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,334 Posts
Some are brittle, some are surprisingly resiliant.

I have been flying several old Wen Mac and Cox planes with no issues. It really depends on the original material they were molded from, and how they were stored in the intervening 20-50 years, or so.

I have two Cox Sabres: One is fine and could probably be flown, the other just about breaks of you try to pick it up.
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:51 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
839 Posts
Neutering and spaying

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Spencer View Post
Spaying those plastic things with armourall would get the plastic a bit flexable , if your going to risk flying them , or in case you drop 'em .
Hey, I know ships are spoken of as females, but it isn't necessary to sterilize planes or ships; they aren't going to have a litter of kittens / pups.

But seriously, I wonder if anyone ever tried dope plasticizer, whatever the stuff is that Brodak sells to keep old dope finishes from becoming brittle, to treat any old plastic models that are now so brittle?
The Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Nov 01, 2013, 11:22 PM
Joined Sep 2013
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome p 38 View Post
Hello All, This is my first post and I will start with a question. I have a Testors P-38 in chrome that is in great shape and never fueled, can someone tell me its value?[IMG]p1010623.jpg[/IMG]
i would be a buyer at $400 to 600 depending on condition of chrome finish.maybe more if very very nice.
scott6110 is offline Find More Posts by scott6110
Old Jan 26, 2014, 06:38 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,334 Posts
I just picked up a very tired Testors P-38 from EBay very inexpensively. Some of the black paint is gone and the fuel tank in the left engine nacelle appears to be melted from the inside (I suspect someone in the past tried gasoline or something else that the plastic did not like for fuel). The left wing is also cracked at the center pod (never had this happen in years of flying my old one).

All of this being said, my goal is to get this one flying again! I miss flying these, although they were not great performers, they did fly well and very reliably (just not aerobatic).
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem