HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 03, 2013, 11:11 PM
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,760 Posts
This is getting old.

Here is what Brutus is saying put another way.

Suppose the mechanical phasing is not "correct" you can proceed as follows.

With the usual blade over the tail routine, if you pick up the bird and rock it nose up/nose down, since the mechanical phasing is "off" you will see the blade over the tail changing pitch. Now rotate the FBL controller in the frame a bit at a time and you will find a position that the blade over the tail no longer moves. As it happens, that angle that you have rotated the FBL controller will be the same as the mechanical phasing error - I leave you to figure out which direction you had to go.

Now, if you try moving the control sticks things will be hosed up. However, you can use the electronic phasing in the Tx (if you have it) to make it all good again.

Now you have a set up where if you move the sticks for and aft the blade over the tail won't move and if you move the heli in pitch it won't move either.

All you need to do now is to check that the reversing of the two axes in each case is correct so as the control and stabilization senses are correct. You always do these checks by looking at the way the blades move, not the way the swash moves - right?

Note - if you did not follow this........don't try it.

It is worth pointing out that if you do mess with this sort of trickery, you can't run different gains for roll and pitch unless the off axis adjustment is small. For the same reason, things like tail drag compensation if used will introduce some roll coupling in hard collective handling.

A FBL controller with phase adjustment makes this all so much easier.......

Jim Davey
teamdavey is offline Find More Posts by teamdavey
Last edited by teamdavey; May 03, 2013 at 11:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2013, 02:21 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,420 Posts
Last nail in the coffin. Well done. I can't be bothered waiting for a reply, it's not worth it. Next time, I'll keep my discoveries to myself.
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Closed Thread