HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:24 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Herman View Post
I understand that the reasoning behind ganging multiple servos is to increase the torque while keeping the speed.
So you could get higher torque, keep the speed, and use two less expensive servos vs a very expensive high-torque digital servo that still had the speed.

Or would you still sacrifice some speed with the pricey digital one?
davidmc36 is offline Find More Posts by davidmc36
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:25 PM
Where's that free gas heat ?
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,547 Posts
Best advantage I see in this is doubling the wear life. May as well use one servo for one price. I would never do that below printed configuration. An oscilloscope peek at the unganged vs ganged no load current will reveal this as a good or bad situation. I'll need to wait until I get the servos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
Interesting idea, never thought of that one before. Different than the picture linked above with the two servos hard-linked together. But I guess it would only be the same as using one servo, since only one at a time would be doing the work depending on which way you were pulling the rudder.
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:46 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,409 Posts
Have you thought about adding a largish trim tab fitted as servo assist?
This could take enough load off the servos to allow you to use just one - and lighten the tail a little over-all.
eye4wings is online now Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:06 PM
Where's that free gas heat ?
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,547 Posts
As a matter of fact I have. They are called servo tabs in the full scale world. I'll look it over, I am trying to avoid designing my own servos. That way usually ends up in a lot of time, trial & error, and more cost.

I saw a guy having trouble starting a flooded DA50 on a huge Cap 232. Several times the tail jerked over, hit a wood structure and zzzzzzited the elevator to the mechanical limit. He shrugged it off and says it doesn't hurt 'em. I should have looked at what servos he used on that. If they really can take it, I'm impressed. He had flight systems power off but motor power on. He was too busy to be bothered with dumb questions at the time.
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop