HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:50 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
769 Posts
Discussion
So you want to sell your design, Some advice before you post about it.

Lately I've been looking at a lot of the home sold kits people have been posting about on the forums and classifieds and I started to notice a trend. And I by no mean this as an insult, you get an A for effort for stepping forward and selling your ideas, but you are horrible at telling us the details. (again not everybody, but a lot)

Most of the "ads" I see are a couple of sentences about how "you've been designing it" or "there is a thread on it" but then list little to no details on WHY you designed the way you did, and why it's a good option to purchase over the hundreds of other similar options.

Please, take the time, many of us are interested in your designs. But I'm not willing to fork out even $30 for somebodies design when sentences have more miss-spellings then specs on the aircraft. I ask you please take the time to fill in details, I'm sure many of us are interested in those details and are a large part of our consideration for future purchases.
MaydayMayday is offline Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:01 PM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,343 Posts
Just a thought, if you have questions, PM the seller, or post it to the ad. If and when they get tired of the same ol questions over and over, then maybe they will start posting more information to their ads?

Just my $.02
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:48 PM
Joined Jul 2011
769 Posts
This doesn't have anything to do with whether I have questions, it has to do with proper execution, so they get proper interest. Plenty of people are going to look at their post, but if it doesn't look well put together they are going to think the same thing of the aircraft as well.

I'm not saying they need to write a book, just put a little proper effort into it,
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:47 AM
Break, fix, fly, break again
United States, PA, Royersford
Joined Apr 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings View Post
Just a thought, if you have questions, PM the seller, or post it to the ad. If and when they get tired of the same ol questions over and over, then maybe they will start posting more information to their ads?

Just my $.02
+1

I think this applies to anything someone is selling...of course some items require a lot less detail than other items. I have learned how to place a better ad through the questions and suggestions of others. I got a real feel as to what the potential buyer is looking for, in the descriptions, detail, pix and more.

Argh!

Skypirate67
SkyPirate67 is offline Find More Posts by SkyPirate67
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:59 AM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings View Post

Just my $.02
+1..Its the Buyers duty as well to ask Questions..Its a 2 way street to a Transaction...

Billy
FlyBillyFly is offline Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:06 AM
# Scale is a way of life
United States, OH, Avon Lake
Joined Apr 2010
1,645 Posts
Like he said, he didn't have questions,, he just thinks guys should compose ads they way he thinks they should compose ads. Just like the " put LPU in the title" crowd. It's a trend these days for people to feel the need to tell other people to do it how they want it done.
scale_only is offline Find More Posts by scale_only
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:11 AM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only View Post
Like he said, he didn't have questions,, he just thinks guys should compose ads they way he thinks they should compose ads. Just like the " put LPU in the title" crowd. It's a trend these days for people to feel the need to tell other people to do it how they want it done.
Ya, I realized that when he replied to my post. Then I realized he was just another "thread police".

If people would realize, sellers will either figure things out on their own what works best for them, or they can be happy doing their ads how they see fit. I certainly hope these individuals dont write into newspapers critiquing the ads there too

RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:39 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,454 Posts
What you talkin' about Willis ?

Yeah-I'm getting a little disturbed by the police also.

I don't have a lot of trouble reading mis-spelled words, or wading through run-on sentences with no punctuation...
I count my blessings for an english teacher who tolerated none of that.

I'm a forgiving and tolerant man. But it can become a little offensive, when the only response to a post is "You didn't use a comma, here'.

A PM to someone who gets your goat is much more productive ,in my humble opinion. Talk to the man-help him get better.Suggest helpful things to make his product a "must have". He may even give you a discount-unless you didn't want his product anyway.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:35 AM
Joined Jul 2011
769 Posts
I think some of you are jumping to conclusions. I'm not talking about classifieds first off, I'm talking about people who design their own plane, build it and attempt to sell them to people, small at home business.

I'm not policing, I'm making a suggestion. As an example, LPU is nice in the title, but it doesn't need to be there, as long as the person mentions it who cares where it's at. Though personally If tent to look at people's sales regardless if I'm interest I like looking at people's little changes to the planes and the aging of the planes etc.

I'm just saying that if you want to sell something you designed in a semi-professional manner even if it is just for fun out of your house it's nice to know a little information. If an ad states "PZ p-51 BL for sale" and I want to know how much it weighs or it's a good aircraft, you can google it, or look on here at a thread. But when somebody posts a single picture of a wing, states "semi symmetrical complex airfoil" but the single picture looks like a totally different design most people would probably move on. Honestly, I respect people for putting the effort in, and I feel like it's lost in poor follow trough. I would LOVE to know all the information that led them to design it the way they did.

Don't mistake my rant for a push for change, or policing, because it's not. People love it when people review new products, wouldn't want the same from your own? I guess I could have just said that, but I didn't think about it till now.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:05 PM
# Scale is a way of life
United States, OH, Avon Lake
Joined Apr 2010
1,645 Posts
So you did have questions,,, you just don't want to have to ask them or go hunt them down,, Got it.
scale_only is offline Find More Posts by scale_only
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:14 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,454 Posts
Better understanding

Okay,I get your drift now..BUT.....

Most people use as few words as possible in the header, so little information is gleaned there.

I wish more people used the 'Newscaster's credo'- Who,what,when ,where,why, and how.(much)
Answering those six questions will leave no doubt.
I try to forestall questions by answering what I would want to know, if I were interested.
But it's still a two way street..That's why we can E-mail ,PM,etc.
You also have to take into consideration the amount of posting a person has done.-The first ones are usually not the better ones..
I think that PM's are better than publicly complaining about the lack of information. Sometimes the poster will edit,and clarify misunderstood claims.

Constant feed back helps edit posts until some sense can be made of them.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:44 PM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,343 Posts
Ok, ya I am gaining a better understanding of what you were trying to convey. My apologies...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:41 PM
Joined Jul 2011
769 Posts
Some of you are on the same page now some of you aren't *cough* *cough* scales only *cough* *cough* (kidding haha)

The internet sends to turn what I say around a little, I'm not soft with my words and it doesn't always come across the way I mean.

Quote:
So you did have questions,,, you just don't want to have to ask them or go hunt them down,, Got it.
No, take a step back and read what I said.

Anyway I'm getting carried away, my point is simple it would be interest in the person selling it that there was more information, people will take them more seriously. It's just the world works. Tear apart my point with your negativity if you want but I was simply making a suggestion.

I love this sport, people create awesome reviews and amazing build threads, it's just as interesting to read up on a small unknown dude who designed something awesome. When people overlook a potentially good design, it's sad.

[/rant]
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:45 PM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,343 Posts
Well now I am more confused than before.. you mean this had nothing to do with the classified sections?

RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:15 PM
cant get right !!!
United States, CA, Victorville
Joined Sep 2012
321 Posts
what !!! i just waisted 3 min of my life for this bs ! find a better topic .
trucker41 is offline Find More Posts by trucker41