HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined Dec 2012
6 Posts
Discussion
MicroX Hornet Plans or kit

I have some old Flying Model mags that talk about a Micro-X or MicroX Hornet free flight embryo model and I have had an eye out on ebay for a while with no luck. I know the company is out of business.
Can someone please tell me are they that good of a flyer? Is a prairie bird just as good?
Does anyone have an old plan/new plan/kit they might sell?
Thanks,

Ed

PS If anyone wants some cheap FUN try a Sig Thermal Dart. Be warned you need a big field.
edfishing is offline Find More Posts by edfishing
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:14 PM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
501 Posts
I've built the P-30 version of the Hornet. It looked nice but the cabin design slowed it down. I've got the P-30 plan.

I've built and flown a Prairie Bird embryo, and it's a good windy day flyer with 4 strands of 3/32 rubber. I made the landing gear and wing removable. I've recently switched to an Anna Jr by BMJR and am getting it to fly better. Both planes get good R.O.G performance with enough rubber. The big trick with these planes is to make them light and strong enough. No matter what plan you use, the wood and the excess glue makes a big difference. I like high wingers, so I haven't tried Gordon Roberts' Debut. I've seen him fly it, and it really goes far, built light like he did. Trouble is, wind takes it past the field.

Good luck with Embryos. They're fun. I agree on the Thermal Dart, with the right amount of rubber they fly good.

Joe
DuPageJoe is offline Find More Posts by DuPageJoe
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:52 PM
Joined Dec 2012
6 Posts
Micro-X Hornet plan

Anyone know how these fly? Anyone have a plan? It was talked about a lot in Flying Models Magazine. Thanks.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:10 PM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
501 Posts
Micro X Hornet P-30 pix

Here are pix of my Hornet in P-30 form. It looks a lot like the Prairie Bird. I scanned the Printwood.

Sorry I can't do more for the Embryo version.

joe
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Dec 2012
6 Posts
MicroX

Looks like an excellent building job. Thanks for trying to help. I didn't even know Micro-X made a P-30 version. How does it fly?

Anyone want to recommend a digital scale?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:40 PM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
501 Posts
I bought an A&D HL-200i scale at Fry's recently. It has a 200 g capacity and 0.1 gram resolution. It is better suited to scale and outdoor rubber than to the very light indoor planes. It cost about $70. Scales with 1 gram resolution are cheaper. They are usually called postal scales. I got along with one by Pelouze until I decided to get more precision.

By the way, I found a picture of the Embryo version of the Hornet at the Marin Aero Club's Stick and Tissue site. Scroll down to the 7/27/11 indoor meet to find one by "Dave". http://marinaero.blogspot.com/

About the P-30. I flew it in 2007 and 2008 at Bong Eagles contests. It was pretty heavy, about 70 grams, at least partly my fault. With about 1000 turns on a 4 strand 3/16" motor, I could get around 50 seconds flight time after a gradual climb out. Got lucky one time and hit 90 seconds. After 9 logged flights, I lost track of the flight path, and it hid itself in the bushes, so i had to build something else. The landing gear came off after hitting a soccer goal while I was trimming it.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DuPageJoe; Dec 31, 2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Add the P-30 remarks
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:41 PM
Joined Jan 2007
192 Posts
ETA: I've uploaded a new set of complete plans. Sorry about the screwup.

Here's an old set of scans of my plan, FWIW. I did these several years ago and I'm not sure how accurately they came out. I haven't tried building from them. I don't know where my original plan is now, so I can't re-scan them. Hope they're useful.
Bargle is offline Find More Posts by Bargle
Last edited by Bargle; Jan 12, 2013 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Bad upload
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:14 PM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
501 Posts
Hornet P-30 Nose plan

Bargle

Thanks for putting up these plans. I didn't see a piece for the nose, so I'm attaching pictures of my P-30 plans in that area. Anyone can use the printwood to convert to Embryo. The landing gear brace and the nose side pieces likely scale from one to the other.

Joe
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:32 PM
Joined Jan 2007
192 Posts
Glad they were helpful.

I've uploaded a new Zip file with the missing sections.
Bargle is offline Find More Posts by Bargle
Last edited by Bargle; Jan 12, 2013 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Comment
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:04 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,919 Posts
If you're not hung up on the Hornet in particular, there are lots of embryo plans around. Here's one:
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3430

I've heard good things about the Easy Built D'ebut, which is a laser cut kit.

I wish I had a drawing of Chet Bukowski's embryo that we proxy flew for him at the FAC nats one year. Climbed very high and got a max 3 times in a row, but then we couldn't find it. Still, that's probably mostly the way he had it trimmed. I imagine a number of other embryos might have flown as well.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:19 AM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
501 Posts
Bargle
Thanks for updating the Hornet Plan

Lincoln
You're right that trimming is most of getting Embryos to fly. The rest is building them light. As I said, I've competed against D'ebut flown by the designer, Gordon Roberts. Only trees coming up to bite it and wind could beat that combination. I haven't got maxes with the Prairie Bird and Anna Jr., but they're both a bit heavy, and I have the rubber tweaked for better takeoff than cruise. I like seeing them fly, though. There are some nice features in the Hornet plan, like a big stab with diagonal braces, that could make it a winner, if built light.

Keep 'Em Flying (Motto of 520th Trans (AM&S) USARV)

Joe
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2013, 03:36 PM
Joined Dec 2013
1 Posts
I have 7 different new in box Micro-x planes. I also know Scanner Bob, who was the son who pretty much let the business die. I bet he still has a bunch of these plane kits in his basement. I'm looking to sell the ones I have if any one is interested.
spammanmarc is offline Find More Posts by spammanmarc
Old Apr 26, 2014, 08:04 AM
Joined Dec 2012
6 Posts
Microx models

I have been away from website for a while. Thanks for all the input and plans.
I did track down the son and he said he would look in his basement but never got anywhere. What MicroX models do you have for sale?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 07:27 AM
Newport News, Va
Joined Sep 2004
641 Posts
Hornet p - 30

I took the time to join the Hornet zip file. The file is really a Prairie Bird. I rescaled it to 30" wingspan. Micro X Hornet file ?

Gene
rchopper56 is offline Find More Posts by rchopper56
Last edited by rchopper56; Apr 29, 2014 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Added the Prairie Bird file
Old Apr 30, 2014, 09:54 AM
Joined Jul 2009
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchopper56 View Post
I took the time to join the Hornet zip file.
Gene
Nice job on the plan--thanks for posting this.

While the Prairie Bird and Hornet look very similar, there were two different designs, kitted by Peck and Micro-X respectively.
IndoorFlyerABQ is offline Find More Posts by IndoorFlyerABQ