HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:58 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,762 Posts
Build Log
ho-229 randomness

first up, this may be a slow build, and it may never get off the ground.
just so were are clear.

working on a 32 scale ho-229. (so i can fly with the spit and mustang )

tossing the idea of elevrons or AET controls.

this first one will be a glider to get the CG and other stuff right. im concerned with the lack of vertical stabs causing aerodynamic problems and its not 100% to scale.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:00 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,932 Posts
Looks good love the Horton wings

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:09 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,762 Posts
oops. i destroyed my dx5e to turn my turnigy 9x into DSM2, but im having problem flashing the new firmware on the 9x as the pinouts are wrong, im not sure how people have done it, but the pins are mislabeled.

at any rate, the idea for the conversion was to use the ar6400 as elevrons. the 9x with open9x firmware has 32 mixes. but that will take some smooth handed soldering and a tiny iron tip...

back on thread, how were the controls set up on the full scale ho-229?
some where i read that they had three flaps on each wing, one as ailerons, one as elevator and one as yaw inducing drag.

but i as of yet not been able to verify any of this.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:56 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,455 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horten_Ho_229#section_1 says the ho229 used elevons, and spoilers. It had larger inboard spoilers and small outboard ones. Fairly straightforward for a flying wing
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:41 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,762 Posts
coolness. im going to try to emulate the controls as much as possible.
got the cg, or at least enough. there is a slight breeze, and that messes with my glides.

the cg seems to be okay at 91mm from the nose, on a 32 scale wing. (ill check the WS later)

she is real senstive to AoA, as the lask of elevator/stablizer dont go nice.

on a side note, bending the wing tips up induces a nice yaw.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:43 PM
Joined Apr 2012
316 Posts
any chance of a twin edf?
minimicrorc is offline Find More Posts by minimicrorc
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:56 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,762 Posts
probly not. i would need an edf with no more that 25mm outer diameter.
tho some have been made. if anyones got over all diamentions and thrust numbers i might be able to.
nuts, now you got me thinking again... a dangrous past time.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:29 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,455 Posts
do a first one this size and pusher props to get a good idea for control before you worry about edf and detailing, that can come later
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:28 AM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,762 Posts
smart man.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:05 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
938 Posts
I just built a small flying wing, using and AR6400 and that tail mcx tail rotor/motor combo that Dynamic foamy is using on their airliners. AUW about 21gms w/150mah battery installed. Haven't had a chance to fly it yet but testing on the old bed room bed shows it flies easily with this set up. so yeah, I'd second the prop idea! dosent take too much to fly at this size. Good luck
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:20 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
oops. i destroyed my dx5e to turn my turnigy 9x into DSM2, but im having problem flashing the new firmware on the 9x as the pinouts are wrong, im not sure how people have done it, but the pins are mislabeled.

at any rate, the idea for the conversion was to use the ar6400 as elevrons. the 9x with open9x firmware has 32 mixes. but that will take some smooth handed soldering and a tiny iron tip...

back on thread, how were the controls set up on the full scale ho-229?
some where i read that they had three flaps on each wing, one as ailerons, one as elevator and one as yaw inducing drag.

but i as of yet not been able to verify any of this.
Is there a thread or info on flashing a 9x somewhere? That sounds like an interesting hack.

Cool idea on the Horton, will be interesting to hear how it flies. The equipment from a micro Stryker would make it real interesting!
Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:10 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,762 Posts
lots of them on google. but the info is wrong. the most popular image showing the wiring points dont match the datasheet. there is some solderint involved, but some one has made a board that does the har part for you.

i think i will start a thread on this...

edit: glewis, here is my thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post23046904
Last edited by nemoskull; Oct 19, 2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:14 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,749 Posts
Cool, thanks.
I do this sort of stuff for a living as an EE for an electronics manufacturing company. I run the programming center and program all sorts of devices from little I2C eeproms to complex CPLD's. Should be able to figure this one out...
Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:18 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,762 Posts
i will post pics of my glider when i can remember. but for now, its time to move on. what say you, built up balsa or KF airfoil foam?

edit: i figured i hat dollar tree foam right now so im going with the balsa. hopefully i will get board and make one out of foam, 3mm depron i hope. we shall see.

rough pattern. print out at 600 DPI.
Last edited by nemoskull; Oct 24, 2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:29 AM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,762 Posts
printing and cutting...

picked up some yellow tissue at target. has a nice shine on one side. afixed this to a carrier sheet via some cheap spray adhesive. sprayed the paper then patted it with my hand. (nasty!)

then i printed out my design that i posted, and then cut out that, and sprayed the tissue this time and mounted to the balsa. mostly free hand cuts, except for the L.E., that i used a ruler for.

the L.E. and the nose of the ribs are notched. i wanted to notch the main bottom spar, but i got lazy and reverted to just marking where it goes. i need to fix that.

every thing went together better than i expected, for being hand cut it was very good. (still cant belive *i* did that. im Mr. Fail. )

its drying right now, i used alieens tacky glue, the origonal 2 hours 99 cent one. all in all, i am starting to like it better than the 30 min one. its tackyer and grabs faster.

edit: oh, thing number two to fix on the plans, the inner gussets are waaay too hard to cut out. i need to make them less agressive with the curves. i want this to be easy. a new sharp blade is manditory, and i used nice soft wood.