HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:01 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,755 Posts
Discussion
Skymaster 2M ViperJet

We have been working with Kenny McSpadden and Acme Jets over the last year to perfect the latest version of our fan system. Our new system is capable of sustained 20,000 watts even with high g-force loads. The main shaft now starts out as a 30mm diameter solid billet piece of tempered steel. That is turned down to 8mm, except for the very end which is turned down to 26mm x 6mm wide (an end plate), which is then drilled with counter sinks The shaft is pressed into the end bell and then 4 screws are used to secure the end plate directly to the end bell. This prevents the ability of the bell to wobble at all. There is also now a molded strain relief for the wires. We still are using 3 huge high quality Japanese bearings. The end result is a very reliable system that is able to take the place of mid-range (120N/130N) turbines. Our next focus is on a larger fan system (175mm) to power models in the 50 pound range with 160N size turbine performance.

Kenny flew his ViperJet at the Big Jolt this past weekend. He recorded a fast pass of 195.6MPH. This is a 33 pound 2 meter Skymaster ViperJet. It is normally turbine powered, and no attempt was made to save weight anywhere. This is just a direct conversion from a turbine aircraft to an electric aircraft.

John Reid at Model Airplane News was nice enough to donate the use of his high definition video camera and got some great on-board footage of Kenny flying around. That can be found here:

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...ideo-coverage/

Here is a Youtube video as well.

video-2011-08-27-12-24-11.mp4 (1 min 9 sec)

As we find more videos that pop up, I will link to them in this thread.

Thanks to Kenny for being such a good sport, and helping us test our fan system!

UPDATE! Our production motors arrived today! The strain relief is rubber now instead of hard plastic (making it easier on wires), there are isolator barriers to prevent wiring chaffing during winding (no nicks can occur by accident now which happens sometimes with machine winding), the billet shaft cap is machined nicely with black screws, the collar retainer is used instead of a C-clip, making the shaft a full 8mm diameter. Other small changes were made for alignment in our hubs.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JimDrew; Aug 29, 2011 at 06:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:20 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,413 Posts
Can't wait to see it at E-Jets.
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:26 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,755 Posts
We won't be attending E-Jets. We will be attending Best In The West October 1st.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:27 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
The main shaft now starts out as a 30mm diameter solid billet piece of tempered steel. [/url]
I think you need to go take a look at the descriptive words you are using above. The term "billet" and "tempered" don't belong in the same sentence. Billet steel is the raw unprocessed material that has no temper and must go though further processing. The temper or heat treating is usually the final part of the process after machining of the final part.

Steve Neu
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:30 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2007
632 Posts
That was fast and very impressive for such a large plane.
EDF Crazy is offline Find More Posts by EDF Crazy
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:46 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,755 Posts
Steve, since when can you not machine a piece that is already pre-tempered? I was told that the tempering was done prior to machining to prevent a change in the material size that occurs during the tempering process. Perhaps you can check with our factory and let me know if the tempering is really done after the fact. If so, I will correct the statement above.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2011, 02:58 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,755 Posts
New controllers

Here is a real 30S production controller. Good for over 25Kw.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2011, 03:05 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
You been holding back from Jim...
I'll smoke you if give me one of those in my hand.
I'm mean smoke you in the speed run...not the other smoke.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old Aug 29, 2011, 03:08 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
One of my favorite jets to watch this weekend, Ken flew that jet like its meant to flown!!
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Aug 29, 2011, 03:14 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,343 Posts
Quote:
Steve, since when can you not machine a piece that is already pre-tempered? I was told that the tempering was done prior to machining to prevent a change in the material size that occurs during the tempering process. Perhaps you can check with our factory and let me know if the tempering is really done after the fact. If so, I will correct the statement above.

Truly hard steel is not nice to machine--it is usually ground to size.
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Aug 29, 2011, 03:15 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneu View Post
I think you need to go take a look at the descriptive words you are using above. The term "billet" and "tempered" don't belong in the same sentence. Billet steel is the raw unprocessed material that has no temper and must go though further processing. The temper or heat treating is usually the final part of the process after machining of the final part.

Steve Neu
You need too look over your own designing skills before nagging on others :-/ you costed me alot of money already.
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old Aug 29, 2011, 03:44 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Here is a real 30S production controller. Good for over 25Kw.
Any chance of getting any data logging on it in the future?
Old Aug 29, 2011, 03:49 PM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri6672 View Post
Any chance of getting any data logging on it in the future?
it won't be necessary because it is proven to work at it's highest load.

NS.
neversommer is offline Find More Posts by neversommer
Old Aug 29, 2011, 03:54 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neversommer View Post
it won't be necessary because it is proven to work at it's highest load.

NS.
Looking for ESC temps, Battery Ripple, watts, RPM's, voltage readings etc. similar to what the Caslte setup does. Thats good data to have for fine tuning a setup...
Old Aug 29, 2011, 03:58 PM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri6672 View Post
Looking for ESC temps, Battery Ripple, watts, RPM's, voltage readings etc. similar to what the Caslte setup does. Thats good data to have for fine tuning a setup...
And you seriously expect this to happen with this ESC, bri?

You are right about to what you say..but I am not sure as this will happen with this ESC.

It looks like a modern chocolate bar.

NS.
neversommer is offline Find More Posts by neversommer