The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2011, 07:01 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,010 Posts
Here are some photos will add captions in a little bit because I want to keep building!

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2011, 07:18 PM
Dyess AFB
Joined Apr 2009
697 Posts
I maidened my stock F-20 tonight, dopplered at an average of 96mph between two passes.
Matt Howard is offline Find More Posts by Matt Howard
Old Feb 13, 2011, 07:35 PM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,786 Posts
Cool Don, thanks for the thread. I haven't finished assembly of my Tshark yet, but now I'm very tempted to stop where I am and order the power system you listed above. Though, if the stock system approaches 100mph like Matt Howard's stock F-20, I'm not sure if I could handle it being much faster, (yet). Other than the power system upgrade, are you doing any other modifications to your F-20?

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old Feb 13, 2011, 07:38 PM
Dyess AFB
Joined Apr 2009
697 Posts
oops, didn't mean to stop anyone from upgrading their F-20. I was just stating how fast mine was stock so Don could see how much faster his is.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 08:00 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard View Post
oops, didn't mean to stop anyone from upgrading their F-20. I was just stating how fast mine was stock so Don could see how much faster his is.
No worries, I'm just relatively new to edf's and just wonder if I should fly it stock first. The Tigershark isn't my first edf, but the one I'm flying now tops out at around 80; just wonder if I'm ready for 100. How did yours fly?

Sonny
Old Feb 13, 2011, 08:06 PM
Dyess AFB
Joined Apr 2009
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 View Post
No worries, I'm just relatively new to edf's and just wonder if I should fly it stock first. The Tigershark isn't my first edf, but the one I'm flying now tops out at around 80; just wonder if I'm ready for 100. How did yours fly?

Sonny
The plane flies great no problems on the 3 flights I got in tonight. Carefull making tight turns though, she drops her nose pretty quick if you're not paying attention.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 08:35 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,786 Posts
Quote:
The plane flies great no problems on the 3 flights I got in tonight. Carefull making tight turns though, she drops her nose pretty quick if you're not paying attention.
Thanks, the Hobby Lobby F9F Panther I have does the same thing, it just flies slower. I'll watch to see what Don comes up with before I decide whether to upgrade or not. It's nice to know he has motors which will fit directly onto the stock fan though; very tempting.

Sonny
Old Feb 13, 2011, 09:10 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,380 Posts
This is getting interesting! Please post videos asap!

Thanks
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:34 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,010 Posts
Quote:
I maidened my stock F-20 tonight, dopplered at an average of 96mph between two passes.
Do you have video for the doppler by chance? Any idea what watts you are pulling on the stock setup?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:51 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,010 Posts
And more.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:02 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,830 Posts
nice don!!! its about time you do one

oooh! big motor...thats what im talking about! what kind of watts are we talking? 800 ish? i bet this sucker is going to haul. you know, i really like the electrifly fan...if i had one that ran true. so far, thats a no go. i bet having a dynamic balancer takes some of that pain away. you aught to have some good dons adapters made for them.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:09 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,010 Posts
The spinners are the real issue, with no spinner they are easy to balance. The install on this uses no spinner due to the ducting. This is the power setup I had in my Evader, it was around 700 watts settling down to 650 watts but I have some 40C lipos coming so will see if it goes up a little. The bigger diameter motor really helps boost the rpm for same watts. The Wicked 4800 KV motor being smaller in diameter will have about the same wattage but lower RPM.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:48 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,010 Posts
Actually I just arranged for some samples of a 4800KV and 5000KV motor in the larger can size
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:54 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
The spinners are the real issue, with no spinner they are easy to balance. The install on this uses no spinner due to the ducting. This is the power setup I had in my Evader, it was around 700 watts settling down to 650 watts but I have some 40C lipos coming so will see if it goes up a little. The bigger diameter motor really helps boost the rpm for same watts. The Wicked 4800 KV motor being smaller in diameter will have about the same wattage but lower RPM.

Don
That red decal looks right at home on the Tshark Don, might have to order one of those motors to get one for myself. The Tigershark is my second edf, so I'm not sure I'm ready for 700 watts; do you have any other motors somewhere between what you're using and the stock motor which would work with the Hyperflow fan?

Sonny