HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:10 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltekdiver View Post
500mW or over requires a Hamm license, you are right, I been studying !
where did you find that piece of info? What country are you in?

In the US and Canada you cannot legally use any FPV video equipment without a HAM license - whether it be 500mW, 200mW, or even 10mW. There are no license-exempt FPV transmitters on the market today (well other than the Parrot Drone). Further, there are many restrictions on which particular frequencies you can use within the legal HAM bands.

You can fly FPV without a license and hope you don't get caught, but why not take the course, learn a few useful things about RF and be legal? I did fly a dozen times prior to getting a license. Feels better having the license and the extra knowledge - though much of the pertinent details are learned on RCG.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Mar 07, 2012 at 12:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:10 AM
Joined Jun 2010
26 Posts
Quote:
Thank you for all your input!!!

I have been reading and it sounds like HK exaggerates the mW by a lot. I would bet the 800mW is really 500mW or less.
webmaven is offline Find More Posts by webmaven
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:11 AM
Joined Jun 2010
26 Posts
Do you know how much it would cost to get a license?
webmaven is offline Find More Posts by webmaven
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:44 AM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,761 Posts
Quote:
In the US this is completely incorrect. Anything over basically 1mW requires a
technicians class license. Please study correct sources such as the aarl
website or FCC regulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaven View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384449

-Blues
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:25 AM
WOT happened?
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2011
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
where did you find that piece of info? What country are you in?

In the US and Canada you cannot legally use any FPV video equipment without a HAM license - whether it be 500mW, 200mW, or even 10mW.

I did fly a dozen times prior to getting a license. Feels better having the license and the extra knowledge -
Where/how did you go about getting your canadian ham license?
I'm in bc if it makes any difference.

Thanks.
chicken sashimi is offline Find More Posts by chicken sashimi
Old Mar 07, 2012, 03:02 AM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
Yes, the Wii is normally connected to those inputs; and I've even been remembering to change the source to 'Game'.

Thanks!
I'm sorry Colonel, but the fact that it worked once isn't enough to be 100% sure. In the past I've had a composite cable where one of the ground leads was disconnected. But the video worked because the audio leads were connected, so video used one of the audio-grounds.

Long story short, in case you didn't try this already:
- connect your wii video connector, but not the two audio connectors!
- confirm that it works
- now disconnect the wii and connect your camera

Martin
Martin7182 is offline Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Mar 07, 2012, 06:35 AM
United States, AL, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2005
1,022 Posts
Quote:
The licensing fee is $15. I passed my technician class exam last weekend on the first try with very little study...learn about it here
http://www.arrl.org/licensing-education-training
Chukmil is offline Find More Posts by Chukmil
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:02 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
You can fly FPV without a license and hope you don't get caught, but why not take the course, learn a few useful things about RF and be legal? I did fly a dozen times prior to getting a license. Feels better having the license and the extra knowledge - though much of the pertinent details are learned on RCG.
Having a HAM radio license just bailed me out of serious trouble a few days ago. I was flying FPV near a prison because it had an open field (I had no idea the building was a minimum security prison). I was approached by not 1, but 3 policemen. While I wasn't doing anything illegal, had I not had my HAM license, I would have and thus might have received more than a polite request to leave.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:02 AM
RC Geek
United States, NJ, Stanhope
Joined Dec 2004
813 Posts
D'oh! You didn't have season 1 of Prison Break sitting on the driver seat of your car did you? That could have been bad.

Glad to hear they just asked you to leave, but yes having the HAM license just makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Having a HAM radio license just bailed me out of serious trouble a few days ago. I was flying FPV near a prison because it had an open field (I had no idea the building was a minimum security prison). I was approached by not 1, but 3 policemen. While I wasn't doing anything illegal, had I not had my HAM license, I would have and thus might have received more than a polite request to leave.

-Alex
Scott_NJ is offline Find More Posts by Scott_NJ
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:27 AM
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Jan 2012
91 Posts
3 stupid newbie questions. First off if it requires a tech license for the use of fpv equipment why do we not need a license for our 2.4 ghz flight radios. they are transmitting and recieving from each other right/wrong?

Second I'm boarder line in need of Bi focals and can't focus on anything short 12" from my face. It just dawned on me that fpv goggles is probably not a good choice and I should go with a monitor in a geek box. any input there is appreciated

Third I'm planning on making my own clover leaf and skew-planar antenna for my 5.8ghz setup is there an advantage over going right or left on the polarization?
J31968 is offline Find More Posts by J31968
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:48 AM
Lisbon, Portugal
Joined Jan 2011
177 Posts
Anyone have a link to get a 2.4GHz LawMate 500mW in europe ?
filipinto is offline Find More Posts by filipinto
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:13 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J31968 View Post
Second I'm boarder line in need of Bi focals and can't focus on anything short 12" from my face. It just dawned on me that fpv goggles is probably not a good choice and I should go with a monitor in a geek box. any input there is appreciated
I was BEYOND border line 20 years ago.

A buddy sent me a pair of googles to try and although I could see the screens well enough to fly, reading the OSD info was hopeless.

I went to a monitor with a "geek" box and couldn't be happier.

Also, Q3. Most of the ready made ones are RHCP. Other then that I don't think there is any difference as long as rx and tx match. IMO

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:29 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J31968 View Post
3 stupid newbie questions. First off if it requires a tech license for the use of fpv equipment why do we not need a license for our 2.4 ghz flight radios. they are transmitting and recieving from each other right/wrong?
RC radios from the major mfrs are 'license exempt' and registered and tested for the FCC, just like your cell phone, wireless phone at home, GPS, etc. Video transmitters like we use are not recognized devices by the FCC - they have no status and are not license exempt. But with a HAM license, a person can transmit 'amateur' devices, home made devices and such on HAM bands only. And the restrictions are more than that, even. For most of the freqs, we are 2ndary users. We are required to ensure that our transmissions do not interfere with the primary users of the freqs. On some of the freqs, we are required to use DFS (spread spectrum) to broadcast legally, which none of our video Tx feature. That is why many, but not all, of the 5.8GHz channels are off limits to us also.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:37 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken sashimi View Post
Where/how did you go about getting your canadian ham license?
I'm in bc if it makes any difference.

Thanks.
The HAM enthusiasts make it fairly easy for you. I just got the list of qualified volunteer HAM examiners from the Industry Canada website. Then I emailed one of them and he set up the exam for myself and a friend. My friend is a brilliant engineer so he just took practice exams over and over. I paid $40 for the HamTestOnline training, which is great for me as a person trained in health care, not engineering or physics. He got 96/100, I got 95, and took me about 20 minutes. Now I have a certificate on the wall, a callsign, and a pocket Ham license card also. Planning to do the Advanced exam in a few months also.

Ham test examiners are found here. They would love to hear from you and set up an exam:
http://www.rac.ca/en/amateur-radio/r...ons/examiners/

Free practice exam software from Industry Canada:
http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst...h_sf05378.html

there is this free course online, but I found it difficult to study from. Gives you an idea of what the material is like
http://www.emergencyradio.ca/course/

This is the course I paid for and really liked. Studied it over a period of 12 hours prior to the exam. http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/

more info:
http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst...g/sf01862.html
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:54 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
Quote:
I just took and past the exam, cost was 15 bucks.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384449
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter