HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2009, 01:23 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,415 Posts
New Product
F4D Skyray 64mm EDF by FMS Model

This one isn't the most scale, but it still represents the Ford reasonably well. Anyone flying one of these? I can't seem to find any view of the underside.

I bought an airframe only, plans are a 4800 kV Don's wicked, 40A esc and landing gear..... would like to use a set of micro air retracts but we'll see if there is room. Since it's on the slowboat from China, it's probably two weeks away. Thinking about maybe 4000 kV on 4s

F4D Skyray Ducted Fan Jet (3 min 10 sec)
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Last edited by Joe 1320; Jun 16, 2014 at 09:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2009, 02:34 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,484 Posts
I own one! It was nose heavy with the 1300mah pack in the original battery compartment. I modified the compartment and moved the battery back 2 1/2 inches and the Ray flys much better. My stock Ray is a little underpowered but looks great in the air! Here's a few pics.

Best,
Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2009, 05:25 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,415 Posts
Tony,

Looks good! I take it that you have the stock brushless motor?
Old Aug 23, 2009, 08:40 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320
Tony,

Looks good! I take it that you have the stock brushless motor?
I do! It flys scale but that's about it! Not much vertical performance!

Best,
Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2009, 09:06 AM
Joined May 2003
172 Posts
I have one too and it is way underpowered. It will not penetrate if the wind is over 10 MPH. I have the Starmax panther and Phantom and there is no comparison to the Skyray. BTW no throws given but what will work for first flights is 1/4 in elevator and 1/8 alierons. I'm putting a 70 mil fan from my Starmax F-18 in it to see if it will fly better.
jets is offline Find More Posts by jets
Old Aug 24, 2009, 06:14 PM
Joined May 2006
81 Posts
Questions about this EDF Jet

Greetings,

I am really glad that someone has flown this EDF jet. I have been planning to buy the 4S high speed version from rc-castle. However, I would like to know if I need to balance the fan and also if the fan can bear this high level of power. I emailed rc-castle and its Tech Support told me that they had tested the fan before marketing this package. No balancing is needed as well. I watched the video clip on YouTube. The jet flies well and sounds wonderful.

Also I would like to know if equipped with 4s and 4200 kv motor, this jet can take off a grass runway.

I think rc-castle offers nice products and is very good with customer services (polite replies within a few hours). So I really want to purchase this jet from rc-castle.

Many thanks in advance.
Analytica is offline Find More Posts by Analytica
Old Aug 27, 2009, 07:49 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,415 Posts
Does anyone have a pic of the underside while I wait on the slowboat from China?
Old Sep 04, 2009, 05:59 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,415 Posts
Mine arrived, the box was a little ragged and the contents had some damage. Chalk it up to not protecting the contents well enough combined with rough handling. It's repairable so I'm not going to complain too much. That's the risk in dealing with venders in China. Mine is evidently not a Starmax, but from Schenzen. It would be interesting to compare the two.
Last edited by Joe 1320; Sep 04, 2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 06:05 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,415 Posts
Also found the model here:

http://www.fmsmodel.com/enProductShow.asp?id=290
Old Sep 05, 2009, 11:31 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,415 Posts
Now comes the dilemma. I hsd plans to use the stock landing gear. The nose servo limits the amount of space available for a large lipo. The stock battery tray holds a 1300 mAh 20C snugly, so the intended power system that draws 37 amps can't be used without modifications somewhere. A LSJS 4500 kV motor on 3s draws about 27A max in a 64mm fan on 3 blades, just about the limit of sustained draw that the lipo can handle. Now If I decide to go as a belly flopper, lots of work could be done to carry the extra battery weight.... and therefore the hotter fan and motor could be used. the way the fan holder screws into place, it would be simple to have different fans and motors that could be swapped in minutes. That's a plus!

The landing gear also have a unique clip system allowing the gear to be removed in seconds as well. Another plus! this bird is a quick build, just gotta fix the damage done in shipping.
Old Sep 05, 2009, 12:21 PM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Oct 2001
797 Posts
retracts?

Any possibility of retracts? We have access to smooth roads and runways at our flying sites, but not much grass.
jpflyer is online now Find More Posts by jpflyer
Old Sep 05, 2009, 05:36 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpflyer
Any possibility of retracts? We have access to smooth roads and runways at our flying sites, but not much grass.
I would say yes. Some parts might be a little tricky. The mains would have to go into the wings, the nose gear would have to come straight back with the servo for steering relocated further back as well. The wing is thick enough that you could use a thin wheel for a complete retraction. A thick, fat wheel is going to protude some, the wing is about 8/10ths of an inch thick at the root with a slight taper as it extends. Theres not enough room to retract toward center, you'll end up in the duct. A set of micro air retracts would be sweet on this one. There is room for a fill bottle and all the lines running to the retract mechanisms. Probably a 6 out of 10 in difficulty setting up a working set of mechanical. Air probably being a little easier just because of fewer servos and their potential location.
Old Sep 05, 2009, 07:21 PM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Oct 2001
797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320
I would say yes. Some parts might be a little tricky. The mains would have to go into the wings, the nose gear would have to come straight back with the servo for steering relocated further back as well. The wing is thick enough that you could use a thin wheel for a complete retraction. A thick, fat wheel is going to protude some, the wing is about 8/10ths of an inch thick at the root with a slight taper as it extends. Theres not enough room to retract toward center, you'll end up in the duct. A set of micro air retracts would be sweet on this one. There is room for a fill bottle and all the lines running to the retract mechanisms. Probably a 6 out of 10 in difficulty setting up a working set of mechanical. Air probably being a little easier just because of fewer servos and their potential location.
Cool, thanks for the reply.
jpflyer is online now Find More Posts by jpflyer
Old Sep 05, 2009, 07:50 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
Joe, What settings are you using to get 27A out of a LSJS in a 64mm? I use that same setup on a EDO in my stealth and pull 36A using a TB-36. I like the looks of this ray but thanks to H/L no one else seems to be carrying it anymore. Apparently H/L has a large shipment coming .

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Sep 05, 2009, 07:56 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,415 Posts
No problem.

Going through the model, the servo pockets in the wing will need a slight trim. I couldn't find a single one of my servos that were a drop in. I even tried 5g just for kicks, it was a no go. I'll still need to make a few small cuts to make a typical 9g servo, nothing that about anyone can do. The problem is the shape of where the output drive and control horn would fit, there's a notch that has to be cut out. I'm not sure why this has to be done, I can't recall having to do this with any of the other ARF jets from various manufacturers. Those had the right dimensions for dropping a servo right in place. I guess they almost got it right.
Last edited by Joe 1320; Sep 09, 2009 at 10:12 AM.