Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 02, 2008, 01:21 PM
Joined Dec 2006
833 Posts
Discussion
RC Rocket pod

So I have tried a few searches and didn't find the exact info I'm locking for. I want to setup a switch on my transmitter to opperate a few things on a plane. I'd like to turn on and off navigation lights, and then also be able to eventually launch some bottle rockets or other fun stuff. Nothing illegal, jusy hey look what I can do stuff.

In school we build model rockets that used a little metal lead that when you applied a battery current to it it got hot enough to ignite the rocket engine. Is is possible to rig one of those up to a open channel on a rx and use it to light a bottle rocket?

What would it take?
Mera'din is offline Find More Posts by Mera'din
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2008, 01:45 PM
United States, MD, Solomons
Joined Feb 2002
1,941 Posts
Mera,
I know you'll get a lot of flack for attempting to launch bottle rockets off of a RC airplane..Yes it is against AMA rules. But...lets just say i know someone who has done it over a totally unpopulated area. This person used an onboard On/Off switch which was connected to a heating element (wire that produces heat when electricity is applied, same ones used in model rocket igniters). The element was wrapped around the fuse of the bottle rocket. When the switch was turned on, the wire got hot which lit the fuse and...swoosh. Off came the bottle rocket. There is some delay, b/c of the time it takes to heat the wire, ignite the fuse and for the fuse to burn.
That being said...It is NOT allowed by the AMA!!!
gromitvt10 is online now Find More Posts by gromitvt10
Old Dec 03, 2008, 04:04 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mera'din
So I have tried a few searches and didn't find the exact info I'm locking for. I want to setup a switch on my transmitter to operate a few things on a plane.
I can't believe that a search for "rockets" or "RC Switch" didn't give you any results like this or this

An RC switch is quite simple, especially if you have access to a PIC programmer, but there are lots of alternatives, the simplest being a servo activating a micro switch.

As the other poster mentioned, firing live rockets is controlled by regulations that vary from country to country, and most make it illegal to fire rockets from a flying model, so you would need to make sure you don't bring yourself or school into trouble
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Dec 03, 2008, 01:09 PM
Joined Dec 2006
833 Posts
I am not a member od AMA, I fly on my family's farm so I am not too concerned with upsetting anybody. We are not going into this will ill intent nor are we using explosive tips or anything. Nothing diffeent than shooting of bottle rockets during the 4th of July Holiday. Only rules around here is it is illegal to buy them during certain months for residents and you cannot fire them within citi limits.

As far a seraching goes. I have found some info, just not eactly what I'm after. I was using "rc rocket launcher" which might have been my problem.

I am not too interested in a servo activated device, more of a switch that will heat up an element like suggested.

Thanks for the words of caution, I will be careful!

I have seen the videos of some of planes launching rather large model rockets...YIKES! I have nothing like that in mind.
Old Dec 03, 2008, 01:10 PM
Joined Dec 2006
833 Posts
Also, your searches links had no matches.
Old Dec 03, 2008, 01:14 PM
Joined Dec 2006
833 Posts
Worked if I did my own search rather than following your links.

A alternative to launching rockets would be to mount some rocket engins on the plane and use them for a little rocket booster, thoughts on that?
Old Dec 04, 2008, 02:02 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
Quote:
I am not a member od AMA, I fly on my family's farm so I am not too concerned with upsetting anybody.
To be honest that comes over as being somewhat arrogant

Every country has different approaches to enforcing rules and regulations, and whilst your AMA has set down guidelines on the use of rockets or other self propelled objects from a flying model, no one can say how well they enforce that rule, unless it incorporates some statute by-law in which the matter can be passed to the police. The other side of the coin is that generally (if its like our BMFA here in the UK) members are covered by millions of / $ worth of insurance, so if there was ever an accident you *might* be covered (which I really doubt if others are saying what you are doing is illegal )

Rocket powered aircraft is a different thing, and something that, as far as I know is perfectly legal, but no doubt there are still guidelines on what type or size / thrust rockets can be used for a given size of model

Glad you found some links after all
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Dec 04, 2008, 04:30 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,808 Posts
Screw the AMA.
Have a ball, this is America where we do whatever the heck we want unless there is a law that expressly says we can't. Even then, sometimes we do it anyway.

Easy Star Multiple Rocket Launcher (3 min 34 sec)

RC Aircraft Rocket Launch (0 min 57 sec)

X Port Launch 10-28-07 (0 min 40 sec)
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Dec 04, 2008, 07:55 PM
Tacoma WA
Joined Feb 2008
561 Posts
Looks like a new phase of air to air combat is born.
Ron W3FJW is offline Find More Posts by Ron W3FJW
Old Dec 04, 2008, 09:28 PM
Joined Dec 2006
833 Posts
I actually saw those vids and that is what got me thinkng about this. When I say upset anyone, I'm not being arrogant, just there are no neighbors to annoy.
Old Dec 04, 2008, 09:45 PM
Say when.....
United States, MO, Hillsboro
Joined Sep 2005
1,389 Posts
I was "involved" with something similar back in the day. The bottle rockets(12 at a time) were simply taped together at the fuses with an Estes ignitor taped in at the same time. The rockets were then slid into a PVC tube with a wire run in from the rear which was connected to a servo operated micro switch. Great fun and quite safe when used responsibly after a good rain.

--quigley
quigley257 is offline Find More Posts by quigley257
Old Dec 05, 2008, 11:30 AM
Joined Dec 2006
833 Posts
Bushman, what did you use to launch the rockets? Is this something that you made?
Old Dec 05, 2008, 04:02 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,808 Posts
Yeah. I used little PIC microcontroller but you can find other ways of doing it. A common RC speed controller for DC motors would work just fine probably.

For ignition I used the standard Estes rocket igniter that comes with the rocket motors.
Old Dec 05, 2008, 09:04 PM
Joined Dec 2006
833 Posts
Do you have any info on this pic thing. As you can tell, I don't really know much about that.
Old Dec 05, 2008, 11:28 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,808 Posts
Quote:
Do you have any info on this pic thing. As you can tell, I don't really know much about that.
Unless you want to learn to program, buy a PIC programmer, and learn all softs of other stuff, dont bother.

Just use a RC speed control for DC motors.