HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:33 AM
United Kingdom, Southend-on-Sea
Joined Feb 2011
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon65 View Post
Hi all,
I am setting up a tractor prop plane so I need to get the pitot probe out onto the wing so it isn't affected by propwash. I want to cut down on wires and connectors, so could someone checkout this schematic and let me know if it will work.

Thanks for any help.
The ground connection is common so that's okay but your servo runs on 5v. I don't know if this is the case for the airspeed sensor. Maybe it is 3.3v to be safe why not use the spare pin in your connector and run another wire so you know it is okay.
papa_lazerous is offline Find More Posts by papa_lazerous
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:36 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,184 Posts
Quote:
Hi all,
I am setting up a tractor prop plane so I need to get the pitot probe out onto the wing so it isn't affected by propwash. I want to cut down on wires and connectors, so could someone checkout this schematic and let me know if it will work.

Thanks for any help.
Why play with the wires? Why not leave the electronics in the fuse and run tubing (pitot and static) out to the probe?

This way you only have servo wires and two tubes dangling, ready for connection to the sensors.

Otherwise I've missed what you are trying to do here.
nrg2go is offline Find More Posts by nrg2go
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:43 AM
Joined Feb 2011
298 Posts
I guess the thinking is unplugging 1 plug is easier then unplugging a plug and having 2 silicon tubes to reattach every flight. At a guess
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:31 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Dec 2004
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_lazerous View Post
I guess the thinking is unplugging 1 plug is easier then unplugging a plug and having 2 silicon tubes to reattach every flight. At a guess
That is exactly what I'm thinking. The manuals for the speed and altitude sensors say they can work as standalone by just connecting the red and white pins to a spare servo outlet and I have just finished checking this with a 4 cell NiCd pack and they both power up fine.

I was checking with a meter and definitely found the negative was common, but i got approx 1.5meg between the red pin on the sensor and the +ve servo rail. This made me wonder about the 3.3v thing as well. There will also be a guardian in the fuse as well. My brain is thinking it will work but my heart is worried about letting the smoke out. maybe Bill will chime in within a couple of days otherwise I will probably just shut my eyes and try it.
Gordon65 is offline Find More Posts by Gordon65
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:52 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Dec 2004
30 Posts
Quote:
The ground connection is common so that's okay but your servo runs on 5v. I don't know if this is the case for the airspeed sensor. Maybe it is 3.3v to be safe why not use the spare pin in your connector and run another wire so you know it is okay.
Forgot to add that i want to keep that spare pin in case I want to add flaps later. The other wing will have one of these plugs as well for its servo and the video tx.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 04:44 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,184 Posts
Quote:
Yeh putting those silicon tubes onto the barbs is real hard. Will probably take a lengthy 1sec each to fit, and surely only once at the start of the flying day.

All I know is that I'd rather not mess with the low voltage signal wires over distances greater than they need to be. Extending the pitot/static tubes IMHO is far less problematic and also means that the altitude and airspeed sensors ($$$$$$) can be moved from aircraft to aircraft. All you need is another probe and tubing ($) for each aircraft and leave them permanently mounted in each.
nrg2go is offline Find More Posts by nrg2go
Old Jul 06, 2012, 08:52 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks for any help.
I think better to run an extra connector for the sensor as I measured the I2C bus voltage and its different to the servo voltage. The sensor doesn't use much current so you wont see any voltage drop if you put the sensor out in the wing.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...82&postcount=2

Geoff
garris2 is offline Find More Posts by garris2
Old Jul 06, 2012, 10:21 AM
Joined Feb 2011
298 Posts
Quote:
That is exactly what I'm thinking. The manuals for the speed and altitude sensors say they can work as standalone by just connecting the red and white pins to a spare servo outlet and I have just finished checking this with a 4 cell NiCd pack and they both power up fine.

I was checking with a meter and definitely found the negative was common, but i got approx 1.5meg between the red pin on the sensor and the +ve servo rail. This made me wonder about the 3.3v thing as well. There will also be a guardian in the fuse as well. My brain is thinking it will work but my heart is worried about letting the smoke out. maybe Bill will chime in within a couple of days otherwise I will probably just shut my eyes and try it.
I forgot you could power them as stand alone like that, this means your wiring diagram will work fine
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:13 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
I forgot you could power them as stand alone like that, this means your wiring diagram will work fine
Not really. In stand alone mode the red wire is only connected to the Rx power wire. When connected to the OSD you have shorted the Rx power to the Expander power connection. Like you mentioned earlier I wouldn't short the two power buses. The ground wire is fine but not the power wire.

The manual states "NOTE: The Standalone Cable must not be used when connected to the eLogger!". I also think this implies that you shouldn't.

Steve
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Oct 2010
94 Posts
Hi all. One question. I have a flying wing that the dragon link rx is connected to the OSD via ppm out. Is there a way to modify end point of one of the servos?

I try it via my futaba in end point menu, but it moves the two servos.

Thanks!!!!

Regards...
ssancho is offline Find More Posts by ssancho
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:52 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Dec 2004
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater73 View Post
Not really. In stand alone mode the red wire is only connected to the Rx power wire. When connected to the OSD you have shorted the Rx power to the Expander power connection. Like you mentioned earlier I wouldn't short the two power buses. The ground wire is fine but not the power wire.

The manual states "NOTE: The Standalone Cable must not be used when connected to the eLogger!". I also think this implies that you shouldn't.

Steve
Thanks for that Steve, I missed the note when I was reading the manual, proves that you must not just read the manual, but, read the manual carefully (RTFM). I think the pretty picture caught my attention.

That is exactly what was worrying me when I measured 1M5 between the servo rail and bus power. Extra wire it is then.

Thanks to everyone who pitched in.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:34 AM
Australia, VIC, Warrnambool
Joined Feb 2012
165 Posts
Quick question.. I have my ground station setup with 2 x 1.2ghz rx, Eagletree fpv station, antenna tracker with homemade crosshair on it and SPW on the other rx.

I have a problem with it conflicting with my dragonlink UHF. I get noise in my video when i turn my dragonlink on, if i turn rotate the dragonlink controller around 360 degrees, the interference differs, at worst, i completely loose signal, this is 2-3m from the fpv station.

Do i need filters on the uhf tx or filters on the fpv station end?

I'll note here that with my SPW antenna, i get this problem, with the homemade crosshair antenna, it works fine. No interference

Also, if i put the UHF antenna near the antenna tracker, it actually interferes enough to move the pan and tilt servos. Obviously it will never be that close, but its an interesting example of how much interference its throwing out.

Any help would be great
neo__04 is offline Find More Posts by neo__04
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:03 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,357 Posts
Neo,

Dragonlink has a dramatic interference over 1280 Mhz.

This filter helps immensely.

You would place it between your DL transmitter and antenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo__04 View Post
Quick question.. I have my ground station setup with 2 x 1.2ghz rx, Eagletree fpv station, antenna tracker with homemade crosshair on it and SPW on the other rx.

I have a problem with it conflicting with my dragonlink UHF. I get noise in my video when i turn my dragonlink on, if i turn rotate the dragonlink controller around 360 degrees, the interference differs, at worst, i completely loose signal, this is 2-3m from the fpv station.

Do i need filters on the uhf tx or filters on the fpv station end?

I'll note here that with my SPW antenna, i get this problem, with the homemade crosshair antenna, it works fine. No interference

Also, if i put the UHF antenna near the antenna tracker, it actually interferes enough to move the pan and tilt servos. Obviously it will never be that close, but its an interesting example of how much interference its throwing out.

Any help would be great
m_beeson is online now Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:45 PM
Keep Calm, and Carry On...
United States, UT
Joined Feb 2012
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
Neo,

This is for the Dragon Link Transmitter correct? Not your video Tx.
I'm seeing video dropouts with my Lawmate 1280 Mhz 1,000 mw VTx and Dragon Link (V2) using this 1.3 Ghz Low Pass Filter.
[/URL="http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_45_52&pr oducts_id=484]
seearestacey is offline Find More Posts by seearestacey
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:50 PM
Keep Calm, and Carry On...
United States, UT
Joined Feb 2012
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
Neo,

This is for the Dragon Link Transmitter correct? Not your video Tx.
I'm seeing video dropouts with my Lawmate 1280 Mhz 1,000 mw VTx and Dragon Link (V2) using this 1.3 Ghz Low Pass Filter.
seearestacey is offline Find More Posts by seearestacey