HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2014, 06:51 PM
PaulG
Newcastle, NSW Australia
Joined Dec 2004
302 Posts
Discussion
Assembly of Maxon 4.4:1 gearbox

I bought a 4.4:1 22 mm Maxon Gearbox from a well known USA supplier. I expected to get some instructions or at least a drawing and some screws but there was just the gearbox, backplate and adapter plate. Fortunately I managed to find screws in my parts box. I realised that the motor shaft (Turnigy Heli outrunner) would need shortening and I made my best guess as to shaft length and pinion gear position. I assembled the pinion gear with loctite 468 equivalent and had a little motor shaft sticking out the front to engage in the hole in the planet wheel carrier. Assembled the gearbox but it locked up a few threads from home. I managed (with difficulty) to get the pinion gear off and think I know where the pinion gear should go but now think perhaps the shaft should be cut off level with the front of the pinion gear and not locate in the hole of the planet gear carrier even though it is the right size because there will be a large difference in rotational speed between the motor shaft and planet gear carrier. Help would be appreciated. I e-mailed the supplier but no reply so far.
pigly is offline Find More Posts by pigly
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:01 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,803 Posts
I use the depth probe on a digital caliper to measure the depth inside the gearbox.
Then add the thickness of the adapter plate (not including the threaded portion),
and I cut the motor shaft just slightly shorter than that total and install the pinion gear flush with the end of the shaft.

Good luck,
Lenny
Lenny970 is online now Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Apr 15, 2014, 03:17 AM
Hervey Bay, Sunny Qld, Australia
Joined Jun 2001
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigly View Post
I bought a 4.4:1 22 mm Maxon Gearbox from a well known USA supplier.
Which USA supplier did you get it from, just outta curiosity? The Maxon G/Bs are very good gearboxes, but are getting harder to get as a singular item
Masterpiece is offline Find More Posts by Masterpiece