Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 02, 2013, 01:40 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,527 Posts
Build Log
Cartoon Turbo Thrush

I'm back with another three cartoon planes. The Turbo Thrush will be the first of the three threads posted. This Turbo Thrush is closely based on my earlier Cartoon Mustang however given it's cleaner lines it should fly better or at least make up for the additional drag from the wheels. (Mandatory for looks)

Before I start
Yes, I know about the movie. You guys have posted the movie trailer on every cartoon thread I have ran and I appreciate the heads up but all my cartoon planes have a character inside and is not the character.
If you feel the need though I suppose you could paint eyes on the windows.

Photo left
That is a Ag cat in the cockpit.

Photo right
I slipped a canopy over the real one for my grandson and I may have to leave it for when he is here.
So with that out of the way . . . .
sparks is online now Find More Posts by sparks
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2013, 01:53 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,527 Posts
Cartoon Plane links

This thread will cover the assembly of this little turbo Thrush and if you are "in" for the tips or just in a hurry all the cartoon models assemble about the same with a few differences.

If you are building one of the cartoon planes below you should watch this one go together because I have learned a few short cuts and new tricks.

Miss America / P-51-B

ME-109]

Spitfire

P-40

A-7
Old Aug 02, 2013, 03:05 PM
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
317 Posts
Awesome!!

Another MUST HAVE?!?!

I canīt wait to see the other new Cartoons?!?

Toby
GermanTigger is offline Find More Posts by GermanTigger
Old Aug 02, 2013, 03:36 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,527 Posts
New planes

Yep, I did say three new Cartoon planes, the other two will be:

PT-19 and an L-19 birddog.

These two are in response to requests for a Cartoon plane that can be flown on two channels with an aileron option.
Experiments with the ME-109 did great on rudder only for turning so they are on the way.
Right now the L-19 Bird dog is finishing itís flight tests and the PT-19 is looking for a pair of pilot heads that wonít screw up the airflow over the tail.

You guys that want a cartoon A-10 are going to have to wait a while. It's in the planning stage ( still in the computer) but given the low response to the Cartoon A-7, additional cartoon jets is a back burner project for now.
Old Aug 02, 2013, 07:06 PM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,166 Posts
If you didnt do this, I was going to!
Looking forward to it, Should be a great flyer!
pecanpatch is online now Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SliderBat - a GeoBat derivative
Old Aug 02, 2013, 07:55 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,527 Posts
Great little flying plane

Cartoon Turbo Thrush (3 min 21 sec)
Last edited by sparks; Aug 19, 2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2013, 08:27 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,527 Posts
I know a bunch of you scorn Hobby King but the total cost of the complete electronics set for this Cartoon Plane was $35 plus shipping.

The motor I used is what is on all the cartoon planes is a 1800 KVA out runner ( $6.32 )
Basically any small motor that can flip a 7 inch prop will work fine.

Electronic speed control (ESC) is an 18 to 20 amp but all that is required is 10 amps.
I tend to over kill on this component just a bit as a cushion and at $6.77 why not?

Servos, A 3 gram servo or equivalent is all you need to move the tail feathers. I think we called them blue birds at one time. the one I use is $3.49 each.

Receiver ,I was a little skeptical about how effective this little receiver would be at $9.99 each. It looks like the connections make up the lionís share of its weight. So small but I havenít had a problem with any of them yet.

Propellers . . . 5 for $2.24 what can I say ; and they are the flexible ones too.
Iíve broken so many GWS props I could make a traffic cone with the plastic.
Old Aug 02, 2013, 08:30 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,527 Posts
Availability.

I have short kits available on the website now .

What you will get is the Plans and plastic parts listed on the site.
The plans would better be described as a pattern page since you don't actually build it over printed paper. The plastic parts is what makes this model go together so fast , there is no foam forming required.
The materials you will need is
One sheet of 3mm foam and less than 1/8 sheet of 6mm
Gorilla glue ( polyurethane glue)
and some hardware and wire.
Last edited by sparks; Sep 07, 2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2013, 08:34 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,527 Posts
Lets let the guys getting home from work on the west coast get subscribed or at least have a chance to look this over.

I'll use this space later to post a video.
It's crazy hot after work here in Texas so when the stars align and I can get a guy on the camera at dawn . . . . .
Old Aug 02, 2013, 08:48 PM
RC Adddict
150 mile house B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2010
4,072 Posts
Another great looking model Keith.
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Aug 02, 2013, 09:40 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Aug 2002
1,230 Posts
Nice plane

That larger picture you have on the website is great.
Nice looking plane
Wade Joos is offline Find More Posts by Wade Joos
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2013, 11:01 PM
semarang ,indonesia
Joined Mar 2006
33 Posts
.......hmmmm....i'll waiting for L 19 BirdDog.......
night fox is offline Find More Posts by night fox
Old Aug 03, 2013, 03:01 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,527 Posts
A new wing is being designed for the L-19 , too much dihedral was causing too much adverse yaw. it's getting there though.
Old Aug 03, 2013, 03:04 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,527 Posts
The Wing

lets get started on the Thrush.
We will need the wing right away when the fuselage is being built so let's start there.
Aside from the Visual progress this will really get you enthused with the project because it builds so fast.
This wing construction method uses no ribs, as a weight saving measure and ease of assembly. The wing has several tapered spars that give it strength and the airfoil shape we need.
Start with cutting the spars. Stacking sheets of 6mm and cutting at the same time will ensure they are identical. Note the tape holding the panels at the edges. After cutting the wing tips mark the spar locations for easy identification.
( one of those tricks I learned.)
Old Aug 03, 2013, 03:06 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,527 Posts
The wing is constructed from the bottom sheeting and working your way up . The pattern from the plans is used to lay out a 3mm foam sheet.
The spar locations at the root are transferred from the plans to the bottom sheeting . The easy way is to fold the pattern at the root and make the marks of course a ruler works too.
The spars are bonded with polyurethane glue to the bottom sheeting using weights for clamp pressure. I started with the wing leading edge and tip. The spars and wing tip cut offs came in handy to keep the weights from being at an angle , I was afraid that with the "lean" of the weights the small parts would move.