Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Today, 11:29 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2014
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microrcfiend View Post
Hi Swiss, looks superb.

If it's normal led strip, running it directly on 4s may well melt them. You can make a balance tap for 3s form a 4s lipos pretty easy or maybe adding a drop down converter will help. Pete just ordered one, perhaps he can drop us a link?
Checked it before hand as wanted to run the quad mainly in 4S and found many people running the same leds in 4S with no problems. This morning for around 10 mins with a full battery it hadn't any problem... hopefully won't have issues in the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimarayn View Post
Looks great and plenty bright enough, it may not be the best idea to have the LEDs running around the outside of the arms though as they might get mangled easily in a crash..
This is something I have in mind... the first crash will kill them . Anyway do to my piloting nature I don't expect crashing much. Don't know how to fly Acro and mainly willing to FPV at normal speeds.
Swissete is online now Find More Posts by Swissete
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 12:31 PM
bobepine's Avatar
Joined Jun 2011
7,423 Posts
I was out flying FPV today. Seems like I had to start from scratch again. I have decided that I REALLY hate the goggles. Makes me dizzy and uncomfortable. Next step is a ground station with a big fat screen. I have no idea how to set that up, but it's the plan....

Best,
Chris
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Today, 12:34 PM
Registered User
HuskyDude's Avatar
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Jan 2011
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2160 View Post
Now you have me thinking.. I might cut some of the HQ 8 inch versions to 6 for the CF 226. That would make a 6 inch prop with more blade area than the stock HQ 6 x 4s.
I'd be interested in this Rob. Well ventilated for sure...don't want to breath in any Carbon dust.
HuskyDude is online now Find More Posts by HuskyDude
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:50 PM
Nose In Crash Expert.
darowden's Avatar
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Nov 2006
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
I was out flying FPV today. Seems like I had to start from scratch again. I have decided that I REALLY hate the goggles. Makes me dizzy and uncomfortable. Next step is a ground station with a big fat screen. I have no idea how to set that up, but it's the plan....

Best,
Chris
A lot of people who hated the goggles love this type of setup.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2184050

I am building something similar, but with a 5" screen and 800x640 resolution.
darowden is online now Find More Posts by darowden
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:53 PM
Registered User
microrcfiend's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Sheffield
Joined Jun 2012
1,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microrcfiend View Post
What 4s setup works well on new motors please anyone?

Does any footage exist, please drop a link I would like to see and follow that lead.
Thanks
Chris?

If 4s works, what is the route to happiness?
If not, please fill us in with your progress, video, opinions etc.

Please?
microrcfiend is online now Find More Posts by microrcfiend
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:54 PM
Nose In Crash Expert.
darowden's Avatar
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Nov 2006
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microrcfiend View Post
Chris?

If 4s works, what is the route to happiness?
If not, please fill us in with your progress, video, opinions etc.

Please?
Has anyone done an analysis to see if the extra weight of 4s translates to more time in the air per mAh? Or is it just about power and acro?

You can get 8000maH 3s batteries if it's about time aloft.
darowden is online now Find More Posts by darowden
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:08 PM
Registered User
microrcfiend's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Sheffield
Joined Jun 2012
1,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darowden View Post
Has anyone done an analysis to see if the extra weight of 4s translates to more time in the air per mAh? Or is it just about power and acro?

You can get 8000maH 3s batteries if it's about time aloft.
Ive tried up to 3300mah 3s but don't like the way it felt in flight on 355 and flight times were longer by a few minutes. I'd guess a 5000 - 5500 mah but the cut of kinda range before your weight becomes a lose lose situation in regards to flight time.
Total guess of course but a 3300 did produce more heat so your on your own testing past that. I totally dig 2200mah 3s in the 355 and most are under 200g so your looking at 1800mah 4s for similar weight. I have a 2200 4s to test so would be happy to try it in hover and see how it compares. On 3s a 2200 is perfection.

For me 4s is only about torque, extra speed is a close second but there's some stuff a 3s 355 simply can't do on any kv motor running 8" props, not because top speed isn't rapid, simply due to torque. I only see this resolved with less kv motors (less top speed) or more S in your lipo.

The 3d rig uses flat props so is barely 70% efficient so needs it worst.
The fpv rig I want an option for longest hover on spot (thus the 8" prop and possible 10" questions) with go pro and a fastest option which is looking like smaller props. I'd love to know which so I can but loads while i'm waiting for the atmel flasher to sort the 3d quad, the vtail, a new 226 and after bird of preys ridiculous antics i'm 80% on the way to a 258. I'd love a to try a tri too....
Again, wanting to test 3s 2200 against 4s 1800 and 2200 before buying a ton of lipos that ain't my beloved 3s 2200.

The dubro arrived today so I will get some props uber balanced and see if it makes and difference to the 355 running afro esc over the weekend I posted i've of in the forest.
microrcfiend is online now Find More Posts by microrcfiend
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:22 PM
Nose In Crash Expert.
darowden's Avatar
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Nov 2006
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microrcfiend View Post
Ive tried up to 3300mah 3s but don't like the way it felt in flight on 355 and flight times were longer by a few minutes. I'd guess a 5000 - 5500 mah but the cut of kinda range before your weight becomes a lose lose situation in regards to flight time.
Total guess of course but a 3300 did produce more heat so your on your own testing past that. I totally dig 2200mah 3s in the 355 and most are under 200g so your looking at 1800mah 4s for similar weight. I have a 2200 4s to test so would be happy to try it in hover and see how it compares. On 3s a 2200 is perfection.

For me 4s is only about torque, extra speed is a close second but there's some stuff a 3s 355 simply can't do on any kv motor running 8" props, not because top speed isn't rapid, simply due to torque. I only see this resolved with less kv motors (less top speed) or more S in your lipo.

The 3d rig uses flat props so is barely 70% efficient so needs it worst.
The fpv rig I want an option for longest hover on spot (thus the 8" prop and possible 10" questions) with go pro and a fastest option which is looking like smaller props. I'd love to know which so I can but loads while i'm waiting for the atmel flasher to sort the 3d quad, the vtail, a new 226 and after bird of preys ridiculous antics i'm 80% on the way to a 258. I'd love a to try a tri too....
Again, wanting to test 3s 2200 against 4s 1800 and 2200 before buying a ton of lipos that ain't my beloved 3s 2200.

The dubro arrived today so I will get some props uber balanced and see if it makes and difference to the 355 running afro esc over the weekend I posted i've of in the forest.

Thanks that was fairly informative. I have done dual 2200 3s in series on my 258, and it flies fine, but like a mack truck. If 4s give more torque for not that much more weight, then that is a good thing.
darowden is online now Find More Posts by darowden
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:47 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
rexless's Avatar
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
I was out flying FPV today. Seems like I had to start from scratch again. I have decided that I REALLY hate the goggles. Makes me dizzy and uncomfortable. Next step is a ground station with a big fat screen. I have no idea how to set that up, but it's the plan....
Best,
Chris
I tried the ground station approach before I did the goggles. What I found is that I couldn't keep my eyes on the screen. No matter how hard I tried I always ended up LOS simply because I could. I tried both an old CRT TV and a 27" (fairly bright) LCD. The CRT was a bit small but was easily easier to see than the LCD. My goggles annoy me as the strap doesn't stay put but without the goggles my FPV rig would still be LOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by microrcfiend View Post
I'd guess a 5000 - 5500 mah but the cut of kinda range before your weight becomes a lose lose situation in regards to flight time. For me 4s is only about torque....
That should be easy enough to test. I have to build a connector to put 2 batteries in parallel for my octo x8. Maybe I'll try it out on a 355 as well! 2x2200 should be a good test.
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold FS: Armattan 355 Package $250 initials Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 0 Jan 12, 2013 05:21 PM
Sold Armattan M355 RTF Creepy1 Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 1 Jan 09, 2013 12:54 PM
Sold New flight tested CNC Armattan 355 littlepiston Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 2 Jan 06, 2013 07:52 PM
Sold Armattan M500 Custom Build Bryan's Flyin Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 5 Jan 06, 2013 06:55 PM
Sold Armattan V3 CNC 355 RXR (The first one!) bobepine Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 4 Jan 05, 2013 02:48 PM