290 Posts
Discussion
So much for privacy

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blog...opstories.html
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Aug 2011
714 Posts
Stupid idea will only lead to trouble. Of course that is exactly what they want.
UlteriorModem is online now Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:15 PM
THE ЯUSSIANS ARE COMING!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Apr 2011
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dll932 View Post
Quote:
"How about a map of the editorial staff and publishers of Gannett and Journal News with names and addresses of their families…,"
Perhaps such a list will be posted at some point in this thread.
rcposter is online now Find More Posts by rcposter
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
99 Posts
I have guns, and you can come visit if you want. We can bbq and stuff, maybe shoot clays in the front yard if you want.

Most people would give up even trying to get to my house this time of year.
Craig Downer is offline Find More Posts by Craig Downer
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:27 PM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
596 Posts
Isn't this what some gun owners want?
They seem happy to post a picture of a sign pointing to a neighbours house saying the neighbour has no gun.
Now when that is done, they get upset?
Was the sign just bravado?
Are they not as brave as they make out?
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:41 PM
THE ЯUSSIANS ARE COMING!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Apr 2011
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
They seem happy to post a picture of a sign pointing to a neighbours house saying the neighbour has no gun.
Yes, my thoughts exactly. As one who has no fireams permit, I don't want that fact advertised. If I lived in the area covered by the published map, I would have my application into the county tomorrow.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:52 PM
I want to go flying!
Joined May 2010
414 Posts
Seems like a list like that would be quite useful to criminals, they would know who to avoid.
BE77 Pilot is online now Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:59 PM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
596 Posts
So why the fuss from the gun owners?
They seem upset, frightened?
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:05 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot View Post
Seems like a list like that would be quite useful to criminals, they would know who to avoid.
True but for the brave ones who want more weapons it is an advertisement.

Law abiding gun owners are the next sexual predators.
ambientech is offline Find More Posts by ambientech
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:32 PM
THE ЯUSSIANS ARE COMING!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Apr 2011
191 Posts
Quote:
So why the fuss from the gun owners?
They seem upset, frightened?
I think parties on both sides of the issue have serious, legitimate problems with this kind of "journalism".

I try to divorce my identity from issues like this. Speaking of divorce, I think of it this way. Divorce history is also a matter of public record. But I'd like to think most would object to newspapers publishing such data complete with personal information. In this case, I think it's fine for publishing discussions about the issue, including editorial opinion, but the inclusion of personal info reveals an unacceptable hubris often seen among those I consider my general allies. In a philisophical sense, it adds to the very social discord that adds to the gun problem the publisher is ostensibly concerned about. People often let their need to express their identity regarding an issue get in the way of honestly discussing the topic and engendering the cooperation and understanding needed to deal with said issue. Dealing with issues is too often all about alienating and embarrassing those with whom one disagrees, thereby making oneself feel superior while, in fact, diminishing any real prospect of finding solutions to the issue at hand.

btw, I understand and admit I'm among the very offenders I'm currently bemoaning. But when it reaches the point of publishing personal information, even this opinionated curmudgeon is repulsed.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:39 PM
'Merica!
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Sep 2007
691 Posts
Quote:
Touche.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:03 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,271 Posts
Quote:
I really don't think anyone has done that, except to take a photo in jest.
madsci_guy is online now Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:18 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcposter View Post
I think parties on both sides of the issue have serious, legitimate problems with this kind of "journalism".

I try to divorce my identity from issues like this. Speaking of divorce, I think of it this way. Divorce history is also a matter of public record. But I'd like to think most would object to newspapers publishing such data complete with personal information. In this case, I think it's fine for publishing discussions about the issue, including editorial opinion, but the inclusion of personal info reveals an unacceptable hubris often seen among those I consider my general allies. In a philisophical sense, it adds to the very social discord that adds to the gun problem the publisher is ostensibly concerned about. People often let their need to express their identity regarding an issue get in the way of honestly discussing the topic and engendering the cooperation and understanding needed to deal with said issue. Dealing with issues is too often all about alienating and embarrassing those with whom one disagrees, thereby making oneself feel superior while, in fact, diminishing any real prospect of finding solutions to the issue at hand.

btw, I understand and admit I'm among the very offenders I'm currently bemoaning. But when it reaches the point of publishing personal information, even this opinionated curmudgeon is repulsed.
What he said.
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:21 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,791 Posts
Sad part about all of this is, most legal gun owners in this country have no idea how to treat their weapons safely or accurately. Yet they are allowed to own them anyway.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:26 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot View Post
....and where to go to steal more weapons?
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer