HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:01 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Discussion
Why attack free speech and ask for limits on money?

This is why...

Dem fundraising goal: 36.6 million
Dem actual receipts: 10 million

Dems cancel and move campaign kickoff
MtnGoat is offline Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:55 PM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,908 Posts
If you can't win the game, change the rules till you have a chance.
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,157 Posts
You can have as much free speech as you can afford to buy.
Jim Thomerson is online now Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:35 PM
Against it with you
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson View Post
You can have as much free speech as you can afford to buy.
Yep, and if you don't have money, you have no access. I guess it is in line with what the founding fathers wanted - only property owners could vote. Nowadays, it's only folks with money who can buy influence, the rest, the majority, have no money so effectively no voice.

By the people for the people my

Money ≠ Free Speech. Money = political clout, and if you don't have the first, you certainly don't have the latter.

I love the OP - it suggests that this money/free speech issue has only been around for the last month or so, brought up by those scurrilous lefties. Wasn't the original SC ruling is the mid seventies? This issue has been around at least that long.

Both parties are as bad as one another here, and neither have any interest in changing the status quo, there's too much money at stake.
Sprydle is offline Find More Posts by Sprydle
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Aug 2011
714 Posts
I dunno those occupy folks made alot of noise with little money. The TEA party did so as well.

Its just that those wtih the moneys can package and sell their product better.

Thing is right now the DNC is flailing both campaign and financially and are scared of the 'big stick'.
UlteriorModem is online now Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:49 PM
Starring as Devils Advocate
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
If money is free speech then lack of money is lack of free speech. Only an idiot would equate free speech with money and buying elections.
redhotpearl is offline Find More Posts by redhotpearl
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:01 PM
United States, NC, Surf City
Joined Oct 2003
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotpearl View Post
If money is free speech then lack of money is lack of free speech. Only an idiot would equate free speech with money and buying elections.
Prezactly! As I watch the TV ads, I keep thinking "Four more months of this?" The corporate disinformation campaign is succeeding, thanks mostly to Citizen's United, and our democracy is being pissed down the drain.

While I usually dislike what I hear from the Republicans, I'm getting just as tired of the Democrats, who at least ought to buy more ads and stop running the same ones over and over and over again. I see that bar chart (about Romney as governor) and I want to puke! Enough!
Bob HSG is offline Find More Posts by Bob HSG
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:05 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
840 Posts
Quote:
"Free speech" is the new canard, it has nothing to do with that and everything to do with massive amounts of money flowing into particular political campaigns from secret donors and corporations who no doubt want something in return for their sizable donations, and that is called political corruption.
Libelle201B is online now Find More Posts by Libelle201B
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:06 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Quote:
As I noted elsewhere if voters are incompetent to make choices they certainly are not qualified to vote at all.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:22 PM
Starring as Devils Advocate
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
As I noted elsewhere if voters are incompetent to make choices they certainly are not qualified to vote at all.
And I guess you make the distinction as to who is competent and who isn't? Quite full of ourselves aren't we? All hail the almight Goat!
redhotpearl is offline Find More Posts by redhotpearl
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:56 PM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
That's not a decision you are empowered nor even competent to make.

There are likely many who feel the same about your qualifications to vote.

Who gets to decide who is and isn't "qualified"?

Your contention is not only beyond absurd but violates the basics of our constitution. Imagine that.....
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:03 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
840 Posts
Quote:
And I guess you make the distinction as to who is competent and who isn't? Quite full of ourselves aren't we? All hail the almight Goat!
It is clear given history how we get to oligarchies and plutocracies. That should alarm most any reasonable American.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:10 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalFlyer View Post
That's not a decision you are empowered nor even competent to make.

There are likely many who feel the same about your qualifications to vote.

Who gets to decide who is and isn't "qualified"?

Your contention is not only beyond absurd but violates the basics of our constitution. Imagine that.....
If I'm not mistaken based on one of his posts, he also thinks he or anyone else can demand identification at a polling place.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,157 Posts
If I were to run for office, I would try to make a deal with my opponent. You can have all the competent votes, and I will take all the incompetent votes. The incompetent votes, if left alone, should be just random white noise and have no effect on outcomes. I think a lot of political advertising is directed at derandomizing the incompetent voters.
Jim Thomerson is online now Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:11 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Quote:
I'm not the one claiming this. Those who claim elections are bought, are.