Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:34 AM
Australia, NSW, Leichhardt
Joined Apr 2012
21 Posts
Help!
Heli spins and rudder switch does not seems to be working

Hi guys,

This is my first post. Just got myself a Skyartec Belt 250 Took me a while just to turn it on. Can wait to see it flying..

Just uploaded these two videos to YouTube and want help finding out the problem. The Heli was assembled by the seller.. How can I troubleshoot the problem.

Skyartec Belt 250 V4 (0 min 21 sec)

Skyartec rudder switch (0 min 29 sec)

Thanks in advance..
Henryms is offline Find More Posts by Henryms
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2012, 03:12 PM
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Feb 2012
24 Posts
Looking at your first video, it appears that you are increasing throttle rather quickly, and the helicopter will spin around if you don't increase it slowly. However, it also appears that this is not the cause of your problem when viewing the whole video. It also appears that the red LED on the head lock gyro is not lit and the tail rotor blades are not changing pitch, so there must not be any signal from the receiver. I would first check for proper wire connection to the receiver rudder and gain terminals. Then check wire connections from the tail rotor servo to the head lock gyro.
Art_P is offline Find More Posts by Art_P
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
21 Posts
Thanks for your help.

There is no throttle control, the minute I turn the gear it starts spinning is that correct? I checked wiring and it is all good. Could it be the servo not working? Is there a way to check it?
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:39 AM
Joined Jul 2010
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryms View Post
Thanks for your help.

There is no throttle control, the minute I turn the gear it starts spinning is that correct? I checked wiring and it is all good. Could it be the servo not working? Is there a way to check it?
You can try plugging the tailrotor servo into a different channel on the RX, or if you have an extra RX and TX combo (with RX battery pack) plug the the tail rotor servo into this other RX and see if the servo works.

+1 on the slow throttle up, even if you throttle up the gyro should kick in and provide some minute inputs to the tailrotor. I'm willing to bet tail servo is bad OR it was plugged in backwards on the RX.

I can't tell from your vids if the tail rotor push rod is connected to the tail rotor and servo or not. Did you check that?

BTW, I have this little heli. Hovers well, sadly that's all I'm working on at the moment. I have about a dozen hover flights on it. I would recommend changing the leads on the ESC and battery(ies) to something other than stock. My stock charger crapped out on me 4 months ago and I just got the leads changed to verify the stock charger was crap.
rcdude07 is offline Find More Posts by rcdude07
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:41 AM
Joined Feb 2012
24 Posts
What do you mean by no throttle control? What does "turn the gear" mean? Your video shows the motor turning up and the helicopter spinning around from the torque. Does the red LED on the heading hold gyro illuminate? I don't see it in the video. If it is not illuminated, I would think the problem is other than the servo.

I have a servo tester, which I assume you do not. One way to check it would be to reconnect it to one of the other receiver channels that is working. Is the swashplate tilting when you move the cyclic control stick?

Once you determine what is working and what is not, and since you just received this helicopter from the dealer, the next best step might be to contact that dealer. In what part of the world are you located? This forum was set up by a United States dealer who I can attest stands behind what he sells.

Note: It looks like two of us posted at the same time with pretty much the same information.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:25 AM
Joined Apr 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_P View Post
What do you mean by no throttle control? What does "turn the gear" mean?
The Heli starts spinning the minute i click the gear switch on, i can not control that speed at all. I am not touching the elevator switch at all. The switch I was playing with is the rudder, took me a while to figure that the rudder switch is not causing any movement in the tail gear.

Quote:
Your video shows the motor turning up and the helicopter spinning around from the torque. Does the red LED on the heading hold gyro illuminate? I don't see it in the video. If it is not illuminated, I would think the problem is other than the servo.
Yes it does

Quote:
I have a servo tester, which I assume you do not. One way to check it would be to reconnect it to one of the other receiver channels that is working. Is the swashplate tilting when you move the cyclic control stick?
I need a tester then... And yes the swashplate does move

Quote:
Note: It looks like two of us posted at the same time with pretty much the same information.
I live in sydney Australia..Bedtime here. Your help guys, you and RCDUDE07 are really appreciated. :-)
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:28 AM
Joined Apr 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdude07 View Post

I can't tell from your vids if the tail rotor push rod is connected to the tail rotor and servo or not. Did you check that?.
Yes seems connected to newbie... :-) I will get in touch with the seller and see how we go. Thanks again guys
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:09 AM
Joined Jul 2010
155 Posts
Post some detailed pics of the gryo connection, RX connections, and tail servo. At this point I would just swap one of the aileron swash plate connections on the RX with the tail servo/gyro and see if the tail works then. If it doesn't then it's a faulty servo.

Do you know if the TX has been connected to a computer and settings changed? I remember from my manual there is a way to restore factory defaults on the TX. I personally have not connected my TX to the computer with the software installed to change settings.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:23 AM
Joined Feb 2012
24 Posts
Quote:
The Heli starts spinning the minute i click the gear switch on, i can not control that speed at all. I am not touching the elevator switch at all. The switch I was playing with is the rudder, took me a while to figure that the rudder switch is not causing any movement in the tail gear.

Yes it does
I need a tester then... And yes the swashplate does move
Okay, now I understand. I forgot about the upper left switch being labeled "gear". Is the upper right switch in the up position and the left stick in the full down position (as they should be)? It appears that you may be in the 3D mode (right switch down).

The servo may be the problem. You don't need a tester. Just reconnect it to one of the cyclic channels. Disconnect from the connector above and behind the gyro and reconnect to channels 1 or 2. Then see if the cyclic control stick movement moves the servo arm. Pay attention to wire colors and assure that all plugs are oriented correctly.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Apr 2012
21 Posts
took few photos... Thanks
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:57 PM
Joined Feb 2012
24 Posts
The pictures showed no anomolies compared to my helicopter, except the rudder servo wires on mine are tan, red, orange, whereas your's appear to be tan, orange, yellow.

Make sure the pushrod to the tail rotor from the servo moves freely. I had a problem where the guide on the tail boom pinched it keeping it from moving.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:29 PM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys,

This is my first post. Just got myself a Skyartec Belt 250 Took me a while just to turn it on. Can wait to see it flying..

Just uploaded these two videos to YouTube and want help finding out the problem. The Heli was assembled by the seller.. How can I troubleshoot the problem.

http://youtu.be/ixeiugER6_M

http://youtu.be/IA4Panfv_Jw

Thanks in advance..
It is hard to tell from the video but it looks like your tail rotor components are not built correctly; Could be wrong but a closeup from the side and top would help;
See the attached photo to see what the taill assembly should look like

Max
Parkflying is offline Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Apr 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_P View Post
The pictures showed no anomolies compared to my helicopter, except the rudder servo wires on mine are tan, red, orange, whereas your's appear to be tan, orange, yellow.

Make sure the pushrod to the tail rotor from the servo moves freely. I had a problem where the guide on the tail boom pinched it keeping it from moving.
I did check that but there is no slight movement at all.. if it was a restriction I should have noticed a bite of movement.. one quick question: do you have the blades tighten well or they stay a bit loose?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:14 AM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
took few photos... Thanks
How about some photos of the tail assembly? From what I can see in the video it looks like your tail assembly is not correct. Without closeup photos we won't be able to confirm or give you any help on your issue.

Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
www.skyartec-usa.com
Parkflying is offline Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:25 AM
Joined Jul 2010
155 Posts
Does the tail servo even make sounds, like a hum and can you hear it binding? I don't hear it in the video.

Have you tried swapping around how the tail rotor plugs into the gyro, if the servo is connected backwards, it may/probably will not work.

Have you tried swapping the tail rotor connection on the RX? Example: swap channels 1 and 4 on the RX, test movement, and then swap them back. By doing this test, if the tail servo moves with aileron input, then we know the servo is good and if aileron doesn't move then we can start suspecting the gryo or the RX. After which the test would be to by pass the gyro and connect the tail rotor directly to the RX and try movement tests. If there is movement, then something is wrong/suspect with the gyro. DO NOT leave the tailrotor connected bypassing the gyro and try to fly. You WILL crash, the gyro is crucial to providing constant small tweaks to keep the heli level and tail rotor fighting the rotational force of the main blades.

The main blades and tail rotors should not be so loose they fold/swing freely on the screw, but they also should be not be so tight that they don't swing. The recommendation from my old Blade CP was to tighten the main blades down until they don't freely fall with gravity if the heli is turned sideways, but can still be mainly turned/pivoted on the screw.

I have a thread going on another site where I posted a review and my issues/troubles with the heli. http://www.horizonrcflyers.com/forum...?t=2478&page=2
Last edited by rcdude07; Apr 23, 2012 at 07:38 AM.