Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:37 PM
United States, FL, Clewiston
Joined Sep 2006
91 Posts
Discussion
Difference in digital cameras

Can someone tell me the difference in a regular digital camera and a DSLR camera ? Are the DSLR cameras manual zoom ? I have a Sony DSC-F828 (manual zoom ) and was thinking of buying a new camera for my Mastcam. I had a 3 meg on there before. I would just need to figure a way to zoom and shutter if I use the Sony.I would really like to operate the camera electronically. I could use servos and a servo with a belt but looking for ideas and thoughts on this. I built the mastcam and it goes from ten feet to 60 feet in the air. Thanks in advance, Hacksaw.
Hacksaw44 is offline Find More Posts by Hacksaw44
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:47 AM
Japan, Tokyo, Chiyoda
Joined Oct 2010
239 Posts
wikipedia and dpreview.com should be quite helpful

for aerial photo a compact will do in almost all cases
alainphoto is offline Find More Posts by alainphoto
Old Jun 19, 2011, 08:38 AM
Joined Sep 2006
91 Posts
Very informative. I already have the sony DSLR so may just use it to save on money. Just have to mount servos on it to operate it all as there is only one piece of electronics sold that operate just the shutter. $200.00 - Aerial Innovations. I used to be able to find camera rig pictures on here for camera poles but can't seem to anymore.Just for ideas. I already had it going just modifying.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 01:46 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,193 Posts
Main advantages of a DSLR over a compact as far as I can see:

- Generally a higher resolution
- Larger sensor size = more light reaches each pixel = less noise for the same ISO setting. Upshot of this is you can shoot at a higher ISO in poorer light conditions with acceptable amounts of noise in the images.
- Generally a faster burst rate in continuous shooting mode
- Wide choice of interchangeable lenses for different shooting scenarios (although generally I use the same ultra-wide zoom lens for my aerial photography work).
- Generally higher quality optics than in compact cameras

I use my Canon EOS 7D on my mast setup. The camera is connected to my laptop via a USB-to-Ethernet-to-USB extender where I run Canon's EOS Utility to control all the functions of the camera. Lens zoom is accomplished using a servo, a pulley and a belt:

Hope that helps

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:45 AM
Japan, Tokyo, Chiyoda
Joined Oct 2010
239 Posts
True and I am a deep fan of sensor size and good optics - this is how to make a great image.

But this is quite a complicated, heavy, and expensive set up to start with, and also a camera like the Nex will have the resolution / sensor size / optic capacity of much bigger and expensive DSLR, so it is worth looking at alternatives

Again dpreview.com is your friend, look at MP/cm2 to get an idea
alainphoto is offline Find More Posts by alainphoto
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:51 AM
Joined Sep 2006
91 Posts
That is what I need to do on my camera for the Zoom. I think I can get the belt and sprocket from Servocity. Alainphoto, the camera is a little heavy but as I have it and just doing this to get the camera mast going again I can save a little cash. This is the heli rig I built before and the polecam on the trailer. Sold the heli but kept the camera. Built two working Rocketbelts and waiting on fuel ,so I got bored.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:59 AM
Joined Sep 2006
91 Posts
Pole
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:04 PM
Joined Sep 2006
91 Posts
Hogster ,do you have any more photos of you camera rig? Oh I am watching your build thread on the Hexicopter. I would like to build one of those next. Very Nice!!