HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:17 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ilkeston
Joined Apr 2005
149 Posts
My LHS said that a 2200 would fit but there is only one way to find out lol !!!
Any more info on how she flys??
Jim.
jimmyboy is offline Find More Posts by jimmyboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:50 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
You can fit a 2200mA 3s.. but theres not a lot of spare room.... it's difficult enough getting a 1800mA 3s out

The Blaze flys well, but some people might be a bit disappointed with the motor.
I haven't put a wattmeter on it but judging by the performance... maybe about 180w

You can't really fit a more powerful motor with the limitations of the supplied ESC, so a "bigger" motor would mean a new ESC.

IMO if you really want a Hotliner/Warmliner buy a Mouldie.

However it is easy to fly and IMO would suit most flyers who just want a foam aerobatic glider that won't cost you serious money
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:05 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan View Post
You can fit a 2200mA 3s.. but theres not a lot of spare room.... it's difficult enough getting a 1800mA 3s out

The Blaze flys well, but some people might be a bit disappointed with the motor.
I haven't put a wattmeter on it but judging by the performance... maybe about 180w
That equates to about 18-20 Amps then, so if it has a 30A ESC a larger prop could be fitted to get nearer to 30Amps, if the motor can stand it of course! If so, then the climb performance could be improved by quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan View Post
IMO if you really want a Hotliner/Warmliner buy a Mouldie.

However it is easy to fly and IMO would suit most flyers who just want a foam aerobatic glider that won't cost you serious money
That sounds a reasonable statement and IMHO the Blizzard should have been advertised as a warmliner.
Ben D Wing is online now Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:16 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Just put a wattmeter on it.... 220W at 18.9A on 3s. The speed controller gets warm very quickly
I don't think I would want to try a a bigger prop...maybe the claim of a 30A esc is a little optimistic...
Theres no current rating written on the esc
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:22 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,878 Posts
Cheers for the info. I wonder what the motor can take, I have a spare 40A ESC without a home!
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:45 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Try it ...Theres a pic on Rc Networks. De, Blaze thread,of a fried esc. Not a pretty sight
Old Jun 13, 2010, 01:06 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,878 Posts
For anyone else that can read German here's a link.....http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showthread.php?t=189397
And another.....http://www.rclineforum.de/forum/thre...htuser=&page=1

Why it's marketed under a different name I don't know, but I do prefer their colour scheme.....http://www.hype-rc.de/?page=shop/fly...le&setlang=deu

And here's a short video....http://www.airmix.de/modellbau-22337...modellbau.html
Last edited by Ben D Wing; Jun 13, 2010 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Added links.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 06:05 PM
Slope convert/addict
Romford, Essex. UK
Joined Mar 2006
208 Posts
Maidened mine at the slope today and it flys very well in my opinion, and that is comparing it to an (un)powered mouldie of similar span and appearance. Responds well to slope and thermal lift but the CG is way too forward. I have added some lead to the tail and have used a small battery (1300 mAh) on purpose to keep it light and move the CG back, and it is still nose heavy.

Don't expect hotliner performance, how can you guys - come on !

For my purposes, it should fit the bill very nicely. I wanted something to complement my Parkzone Radian for flat field soaring when the wind is 10mph +
DelUK is offline Find More Posts by DelUK
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:08 AM
Joined Apr 2005
149 Posts
Would a Spektrum DX5e work ok with this model as it needs a V tail mixer? as you know the DX5e has a mixing switch but is is suitable for this aplication??

Jim.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 05:59 AM
Slope convert/addict
Romford, Essex. UK
Joined Mar 2006
208 Posts
Don't think so Jim, the DX5e only shows delta mixing (aileron and elevator), you need rudder and elevator mix.
DelUK is offline Find More Posts by DelUK
Old Jun 14, 2010, 09:50 AM
Joined Apr 2005
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelUK View Post
Don't think so Jim, the DX5e only shows delta mixing (aileron and elevator), you need rudder and elevator mix.
Yeah, thought so, might take my DX5e to my lhs to see if it works on there's and I will post my findings.
Cheers,
Jim.

PS you could do without the rudder though couldnt you?? so the v-tail just works as elevators as you still have the ailerons for direction......just an idea???
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:59 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Jimmy, V-Tail mixer module.... http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/accessories.html

One thing I did notice with my Blaze is that it can be very hard to tell which way it's going, at low altitude..especially on a gray day...I don't know how the hotliner mouldie boys do it when their planes are probably doing twice the speed of the Blaze.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 03:24 PM
Keep building, buying,fly
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy View Post
My LHS said that a 2200 would fit but there is only one way to find out lol !!!
Any more info on how she flys??
Jim.

I have only flown mine on a 2200 mah 3 cell It is a flightmax Zippy 20c. No problem getting it in

Dennis
Bigplumbs is offline Find More Posts by Bigplumbs
Old Jun 15, 2010, 10:51 AM
Joined Apr 2005
149 Posts
OK think I have set my heart on one of these babies !!! Thanks dekan for the V tail mixer unit info, will get one of those !!!
My question to you guys with experience is I am used to flying my Parkzone Brushless Mustang and Trojan T28....do you think this Blaze is a little to hot for me or do you think I will do fine, at the end of the day you dont have to fly it like your hair is on fire !!! will it fly sedately until I get used to it at which point I can let rip and scream around !!! lol

Cheers,
Jim.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:25 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy View Post
OK think I have set my heart on one of these babies !!! Thanks dekan for the V tail mixer unit info, will get one of those !!!
My question to you guys with experience is I am used to flying my Parkzone Brushless Mustang and Trojan T28....do you think this Blaze is a little to hot for me or do you think I will do fine, at the end of the day you dont have to fly it like your hair is on fire !!! will it fly sedately until I get used to it at which point I can let rip and scream around !!! lol

Cheers,
Jim.
It's not that difficult to fly... but you will find the landing it a bit more challenging than your current planes.

It has quite a good glide and the longer span wing means that you must land it fairly flat otherwise a wing tip may dig in and cartwheel it